Dually vs SRW

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be blunt with me. Why should I avoid a dually? Are they that much worse in the snow, ice & mud? Truck would get Toyo ATIII on day one.

Truck will have a deck on it 365 days per year. I make 8-12 trips West every season with two on the deck. I'm quite confortable staying ahead of traffic in any road condition in a SRW truck with two sleds on the deck and decent tires.

I'm getting tired of waiting for my order to get built. Coming up on 6 months. Found a truck on the lot that has everything I want except it's a DRW with 4.10s rather than SRW 3.73. Will i regret it?

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you run 35s, and going to be so heavy all the time its almost worth it. I think the biggest tire is like a 255 80 or something, and dont have to run rear spacerss
are the axles in the same as a 2012? I got some 373s I got sittin in my garage if you dont like the 410s

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you run 35s, and going to be so heavy all the time its almost worth it. I think the biggest tire is like a 255 80 or something, and dont have to run rear spacerss
are the axles in the same as a 2012? I got some 373s I got sittin in my garage if you dont like the 410s
Would likely go with the 255 80s over the stock 235 80.

Axles changed in '19 from my understanding.

My biggest concern is traction on logging and lease roads. Fuel consumption is a minor concern. Don't want to regret a 100k purchase because I'm impatient.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would likely go with the 255 80s over the stock 235 80.

Axles changed in '19 from my understanding.

My biggest concern is traction on logging and lease roads. Fuel consumption is a minor concern. Don't want to regret a 100k purchase because I'm impatient.
I dont have any problem with traction with my dually, as long as I have 2 things, good tires and weight. Weight is paramount for a dually in the winter. Personally I prefer the dually.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont have any problem with traction with my dually, as long as I have 2 things, good tires and weight. Weight is paramount for a dually in the winter. Personally I prefer the dually.
2k enough weight? It was a dream on singles running 275s. I'm not looking to buy Yamaha's to keep the rear end in line though.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just make sure u get out of the way with that shitty dually . 4.10 will be slow as ch!t on road and duallys are ch!t in snow toyo s are ch!t in winter make sure u bring a rope and some cash. I just hope im ahead of you going up the mountain. U said blunt lol. Just make sure u get tire chains u will need them

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just make sure u get out of the way with that shitty dually . 4.10 will be slow as ch!t on road and duallys are ch!t in snow toyo s are ch!t in winter make sure u bring a rope and some cash. I just hope im ahead of you going up the mountain. U said blunt lol. Just make sure u get tire chains u will need them
That's good, keep it coming

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like my dually in the winter.
It has 410 diff
I just put Goodyear Work Horse AT tires on 3 weeks ago
Reason was Toyo AT3 not available for 2 months

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2k enough weight? It was a dream on singles running 275s. I'm not looking to buy Yamaha's to keep the rear end in line though.
you dont need crazy weight to make a dually perform in the winter, for me a full tidy tank is plenty, thats about 500 kg. I also run 235's, dont have any need to run bigger rubber.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Do you know how gear ratios work? The 4.10's make it much faster then 3.73's, the downside is higher RPM's but much more power.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't say I notice much of a difference with the dually as long as you got weight on the rear. But that gear ratio will eat the fuel on the highway. Unless you are towing/hauling a real load somewhat often I wouldn't get 4.10's. The lack of sway with the dually is real nice though with a load.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the question is do "YOU" know how gear ratios work?
Far be it for me to defend Cyle, but he isnt wrong, just poor choice of wording, the 4.10 theoretically should give you much faster "acceleration" but the 3.73 will give you more top end speed and a lower RPM for fuel savings. Basically 4.10 to pull, 3.73 to cruise.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Far be it for me to defend Cyle, but he isnt wrong, just poor choice of wording, the 4.10 theoretically should give you much faster "acceleration" but the 3.73 will give you more top end speed and a lower RPM for fuel savings. Basically 4.10 to pull, 3.73 to cruise.
I had 3.73 in my old truck. My dually now has 4.10. Same fuel mileage towing my toyhauler. Way more power. Dually has no sway. I don’t drive over 115 ,,120 with it so speed is not a concern

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you should just wait and get the truck you want.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you should just wait and get the truck you want.
I probably should. Going on 6 months and my truck isn't built yet is killing me though.

If I wasn't so damn picky, there's a few SRW trucks around that are close to what I want, but they're all missing one thing or another.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I probably should. Going on 6 months and my truck isn't built yet is killing me though.

If I wasn't so damn picky, there's a few SRW trucks around that are close to what I want, but they're all missing one thing or another.
Dually would be a deal killer if you ask me.

If you tow all the time sure, but for a sled deck rig? Yeah phuk that.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love duallies but my buddy hated his. And the 4.10s would give you plenty of pep but Rev high for all your highway miles. Fuel consumption is also significantly worse for a drw. But they look awesome with a level and some rims and tires.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love duallies but my buddy hated his. And the 4.10s would give you plenty of pep but Rev high for all your highway miles. Fuel consumption is also significantly worse for a drw. But they look awesome with a level and some rims and tires.
Is it the 4.10 or the DRW that kills the mileage?

I don't mind the look of the DRW. I've got a 2" Thuren suspension to go in right away with King shocks. The factory wheels aren't terrible with the night package. I would put good tires on right away.

Tough decision.

Top Bottom