Winter Tires

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Tomorrow is the day for our vehicles. 5 weeks later than the government requires but what about common sense? During those 5 weeks, temperatures were in the low teens and high single digits contributing to significant wear on winter tires.
We have been running studded tires for years and for the last 10 years been using Nokian. Not the best in deep snow but great on the pavement and black ice situations. On my wife’s car, they are Hakka 9’s and I wished they made those in an LT. Look at the amount of studs on her tires. Awesome compared to the truck tires.
Her tires are 5 years old and the truck tires are 4 years old. The truck tires still have close to 80% according to that little wear icon that Nokian uses.

IMG_8740.jpg IMG_8741.jpg IMG_8742.jpg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hakkapeliitta have those same studs they have a sharp edge lot different than old style. Hoping they dont break off like typical studs

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow is the day for our vehicles. 5 weeks later than the government requires but what about common sense? During those 5 weeks, temperatures were in the low teens and high single digits contributing to significant wear on winter tires.
We have been running studded tires for years and for the last 10 years been using Nokian. Not the best in deep snow but great on the pavement and black ice situations. On my wife’s car, they are Hakka 9’s and I wished they made those in an LT. Look at the amount of studs on her tires. Awesome compared to the truck tires.
Her tires are 5 years old and the truck tires are 4 years old. The truck tires still have close to 80% according to that little wear icon that Nokian uses.

View attachment 275550 View attachment 275551 View attachment 275552
I'm breaking my tradition of Blizzaks & trying the Nokian studded on my new twack. The Blizzaks only last 4 seasons @ best then the compound is just to hard....lots of thread just poor traction.

Your comment about deep snow performance of the Nokians has me concerned I'm making a good choice.......I have until Monday morning 9:30am to waffle Ha!

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm breaking my tradition of Blizzaks & trying the Nokian studded on my new twack. The Blizzaks only last 4 seasons @ best then the compound is just to hard....lots of thread just poor traction.

Your comment about deep snow performance of the Nokians has me concerned I'm making a good choice.......I have until Monday morning 9:30am to waffle Ha!
Running the Nokians on my dually really awesome tires and on the dually I don't think they are bad in deep snow, but it is always hooked to a 30ft trailer and there is no tire that is good in deep snow when doing that,,,

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Just for the record, driving down the logging road to the staging area was good (a couple of vehicles were ahead of me) but once I got to the parking area, I was totally locked in and back and forth and lots of spinning. Seemed like they were just packing the snow and not clearing the treads. There was about 30 cm of fresh on top of a messy parking lot base, so maybe I am being a little bit picky.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve ran studded duratracs on a couple trucks, some non studded duratracs as well and always have been happy with them. Just threw on a set of 35” studded venom trail hunter rt’s and very happy so far with them. Quiet on the highway, good on ice and a way nicer price than duratracs, like a $600 cheaper nicer price

bd752b2941bad47d3c1ed56bf484c920.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7f0e848703ed64d10ea80604577e8d09.jpg

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I put on the factory studded Nokian Hakkas on my duramax last season. And they do not do well in deep snow in comparison to my old studded duratrack knock offs. They were muteki trail hogs. They lasted 5 years. These Nokias are not going to last that long. Looking at the tread I’ll be lucky to get three years out of them.

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am trying the General Grabber Arctic LT 10 plus this year, with studs. I found the Duratracs pretty decent but once worn down below half. No so good after that.

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve ran studded duratracs on a couple trucks, some non studded duratracs as well and always have been happy with them. Just threw on a set of 35” studded venom trail hunter rt’s and very happy so far with them. Quiet on the highway, good on ice and a way nicer price than duratracs, like a $600 cheaper nicer price

I've got about 2200 km's on mine so far and they seem good, little louder then the Toyo AT3's but for the price point definitely impressed.

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We run Falken Wildpeak AT3 on all our trucks, great winter tire, they wear and last long, and pretty quite for AT tire. no complants from any of my guys about these tires at all.

Kyle89

Reaction score

I can't see how those would be good on ice, little siping and blocky lugs.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't see how those would be good on ice, little siping and blocky lugs.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

From the one day I drove on a bad icy highway this year they were great. The studs obviously help but they are fairly soft and grab well, stopping is good and more than happy with them, just as good as duratracs with studs

Top Bottom