Winter specific truck tires

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
You can get a set of rims on kijiji for cheap and after the original install cost it only takes 2-3 beers to switch twice a year.
Option 2 you have to come up with more money up front and take your truck to the tire shop every few months though.

I like option 1, just learn to drive better haha

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get a set of rims on kijiji for cheap and after the original install cost it only takes 2-3 beers to switch twice a year.
The tires I have on my rig(toto ct's) work great for summer and winter, so for me there is no point.

studded tires are nice for winter, but the Studs don't really last that long till they are rounded off.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The CT isn't a heavily studded tire to begin with. Once they are rounded after a season or maybe two depending on mileage they are not to hard to pop out then can make a good year round replacement or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You asked about "winter specific" C/T's aren't that, the WLT1's that I use are

More appropriately I could have said, dedicated winters. But I didn't.

What doesn't make the CT a winter specific tire besides it being called an all weather tire designed for on and off road winter driving?

Anyone I spoke with said the WLT1 was a good tire until the CT came out and it lasts longer than the WLT1.

Is there something drastic the CT won't be as capable as compared to the WLT1?

Kelso

Reaction score
More appropriately I could have said, dedicated winters. But I didn't.

What doesn't make the CT a winter specific tire besides it being called an all weather tire designed for on and off road winter driving?

Anyone I spoke with said the WLT1 was a good tire until the CT came out and it lasts longer than the WLT1.

Is there something drastic the CT won't be as capable as compared to the WLT1?

You live, and you learn...
CTs compromise true winter road capabilities to increase the off-road side of the equation. Not a bad choice if you need both, I considered them, but you are fooling yourself to think they will handle winter road conditions as well as a true winter tire. Compare the sipe density...

I opted to run dedicated winter tires and will pack chains for deep off road situations.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You live, and you learn...
CTs compromise true winter road capabilities to increase the off-road side of the equation. Not a bad choice if you need both, I considered them, but you are fooling yourself to think they will handle winter road conditions as well as a true winter tire. Compare the sipe density...

I opted to run dedicated winter tires and will pack chains for deep off road situations.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Well thanks for the input. Having driven trucks with CT's I know what to expect and they suit my needs.

18-20 degrees forecasted this weekend will give them a good test lol.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought toyo WLT1 for a 3500 today... Guess I will find out how they are once winter gets here, they ride really nice, took my toyo M-55 tank tires off, a little of topic but will never run M55's again they are rock hard pos tires.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ordered up a set of Cooper XT4's for my dually. Will see how they are and give a review once i have some winter miles.

Like the idea of having a winter type tire that can run year round without issues. I don't do much for mud in the summer so i think they will do a fine job.

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Studs are hard on garage floors. And generally studable tires are harder compound to hold studs in. So once studs are gone you have a harder tire.

I wont run studs again. For the above reasons.

I have duratracks and they are junk imo.. i will never run them again. Id like to try the toyo ll extreams as a all year tire but you cant beat a winter only tire imo.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Studs are hard on garage floors. And generally studable tires are harder compound to hold studs in. So once studs are gone you have a harder tire.

I wont run studs again. For the above reasons.

I have duratracks and they are junk imo.. i will never run them again. Id like to try the toyo ll extreams as a all year tire but you cant beat a winter only tire imo.

Yeah my truck doesn't fit in my little garage. We don't all have full blown shops to park in lol

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah my truck doesn't fit in my little garage. We don't all have full blown shops to park in lol

Ur never home enough to worry about it ....sledding the amount u do!

I priced out 315-70-17 Nokian hapi_____ LT2
$1845 otd tallest full winter ive ever seen!

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ur never home enough to worry about it ....sledding the amount u do!

I priced out 315-70-17 Nokian hapi_____ LT2
$1845 otd tallest full winter ive ever seen!

That's not a horrible price. Pretty close to what a guy would pay for any brand name 35" mudder.

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's not a horrible price. Pretty close to what a guy would pay for any brand name 35" mudder.

Ya i said screw it, after sliding thru 2 intersections this am...tires cheap.

Ill order some toyos AT 2 extremes for summer i guess...

Steve Slade

Reaction score
I had too many close calls with my cooper zeon 10 ply all season last winter so I just bought nitto Exo grapplers last week for my half ton. So far they seem great but for 2200 dollars they should be great. I'll feel a lot safer this winter all I've ever run is all season this is the first time I bought winter specific tires. Now I can go the speed limit in the winter at least

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had too many close calls with my cooper zeon 10 ply all season last winter so I just bought nitto Exo grapplers last week for my half ton. So far they seem great but for 2200 dollars they should be great. I'll feel a lot safer this winter all I've ever run is all season this is the first time I bought winter specific tires. Now I can go the speed limit in the winter at least

Aren't those all weather tires (all season with a snowflake), not winter specific tires?

Top Bottom