Winter specific truck tires

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The tread pattern is different on xt4. atw and at3 are very similar, but much more siping and the edges of the tread blocks are cut differently. I have about 40000km on my atw's and they are hardly worn at all, they are the LT tho. My Firestones barely made 35000km before being to the wear bars. Very happy with atw. Have ran p rated at3 as well and was happy with wear, but tread was shallower than the LT's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I should have went with the LT rated ones. How much gravel do you drive?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The tread pattern is different on xt4. atw and at3 are very similar, but much more siping and the edges of the tread blocks are cut differently. I have about 40000km on my atw's and they are hardly worn at all, they are the LT tho. My Firestones barely made 35000km before being to the wear bars. Very happy with atw. Have ran p rated at3 as well and was happy with wear, but tread was shallower than the LT's.

I wouldn't run firestones for winter anything. The stockers on my truck are past the siping at 10,000km. I do not see much of a difference. Its good to know the ATW has worn well. They may end up on our other vehicle.

DiscovererATW.png
Discoverer-XT4.jpg

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I should have went with the LT rated ones. How much gravel do you drive?

I live on gravel, roughly 5k/day to the hiway and every other weekend to the mountains. I do about 30000km/year, and these tires are coming 2 years old now. Haven't yet tried them on my diesel hauler, but that's what will go on when the time comes.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going to give a set of these a try I think. Looks like it's aimed at the duratrac market. Had good luck with my at3's

Too bad you can only get them in a 285 for an 18" rim. I wish there was a studable winter tire bigger than that. Nobody makes one though. It's pretty much grabber at2, duratracs, muteki trail hogs for options in the bigger boot sizes.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too bad you can only get them in a 285 for an 18" rim. I wish there was a studable winter tire bigger than that. Nobody makes one though. It's pretty much grabber at2, duratracs, muteki trail hogs for options in the bigger boot sizes.

Nitto Exo grappled and Toyo ct, both studable and in 35x12.5x18.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't think the nitto were studable. And again neither are a winter tire. Just an m&s.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't think the nitto were studable. And again neither are a winter tire. Just an m&s.

The Exo and CT are just about as close to one another as you can get. The CT was developed for snow.

baf24fa436079e58f32199ebe43d4ab2.png

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm heading into winter number 2 on those on my Ram 1500. I only went with P rated because that's what came on there and I cheaped out a bit. I don't know if the higher load rating wears better, but if you drive any amount of gravel, they won't last. I've got 29,000 km on this set and they should get me through to spring, but that will be it. I believe they have 85K treadwear warranty, so I may be finding out if that works or not. The tire shop I bought them from sold another set to a guy that runs gravel everyday and his didn't make 30K.

As far as traction and everything else is concerned, they're not quite as good as a full blown winter tire, but they worked well enough that it didn't bother me. Worked alright in the rain. My whole deal was if I could get away with one set of tires for all year, I could live with them not being as good, but do an alright job with everything. The wear issue is the problem for me.

Option 1:
-buy new set of all season tires, great at nothing, last ~80k

Option 2:
-buy new set of winter tires, great at winter, last ~80k of winter driving.
-buy new set of summer / all season tires, great at summer, last ~80k of summer driving

Both options get you the same distance of driving at the same price, but one gets you better tires for lots of your driving.

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First time I went with 275-65-20 Artic claw studded and really impressed with them, way bet then the grabber studded.

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
D rated LT tires may, but E rated tires should last longer. I know the Michelin LTX A/T2's for my truck had a 110,000km warranty, and my dad running the same tires in a D LT tire on a 4x4 half ton gets nearly 160k before changing (he also drives like a grandpa). They still have tread left, but are hard as bricks by then.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An E tire vs D tire should last equally as long assuming it is the same tire run at the same pressure on the same vehicle towing the same loads.

Since D rated tires typically are max 65 psi and E are usually max 80 they are going to likely have been run at different pressures.

Now depending on the size, some E rated tires have deeper treads so the life of the tire may seem longer.

And then yes if you drive like a grandpa tires will last longer especially with higher torque trucks.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If ya run same psi a d will last same as a e

It's when you have 80 psi rear and 70 psi front for tpms when they wear fast

Compared to 60 in both

sent while drinking tea's

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So,, it is just about winter, figure out what tires you are going to run yet?

If not, just go with the CT's you'll like them.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Option 1:

Option 2:
-buy new set of winter tires, great at winter, last ~80k of winter driving.
-buy new set of summer / all season tires, great at summer, last ~80k of summer driving

Both options get you the same distance of driving at the same price, but one gets you better tires for lots of your driving.

Option 2 you have to come up with more money up front and take your truck to the tire shop every few months though.

I like option 1, just learn to drive better haha

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So,, it is just about winter, figure out what tires you are going to run yet?

If not, just go with the CT's you'll like them.

Yeah I was pretty much set on the CT from the beginning but wanted to see what else was out there.

Studded CT's it is.

Top Bottom