Winter specific truck tires

johnnytrail

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Studs are hard on garage floors. And generally studable tires are harder compound to hold studs in. So once studs are gone you have a harder tire.

I wont run studs again. For the above reasons.

I have duratracks and they are junk imo.. i will never run them again. Id like to try the toyo ll extreams as a all year tire but you cant beat a winter only tire imo.

I have the Toyo AT2 extreme . they are good on mud, snow , gravel , dry roads . Terrible on wet roads and downright scary on ice !

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Toyo AT2 extreme . they are okay but not great in mud, okay in snow ,terrible on gravel as rips tires to shreds,excellent on dry roads . Terrible on wet roads and downright scary on ice !
Fixed your comments. Lol
Had them as well and not again. Very expensive and didn't last for me.

Steve Slade

Reaction score
Aren't those all weather tires (all season with a snowflake), not winter specific tires?
I hope they are winter they came pre drilled for studs. The guy at kal tire highly recommended them for winter. Maybe I should have done more research before purcachsing

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope they are winter they came pre drilled for studs. The guy at kal tire highly recommended them for winter. Maybe I should have done more research before purcachsing

The Exo Grappler are basically the same tire as the Toyo CT. Toyo owns Nitto and Toyo is typically considered the premium brand yet Nitto is usually more expensive.

The Exo and CT are a hybrid AT winter tire. Not a true winter but designed around winter use where an open AT style lug is also beneficial.

Sure it's not a true heavily siped winter class tire but it's still a very capable tire. They won't be as good on ice compared to a Hakka LT2 for example but better off highway where an AT could be needed. Not everyone needs that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got my Cooper XT4's put on today. Tires look great and the tread is deeper than i had initially thought which is a nice surprise and they are slightly taller than the stockers. So far they are very quiet and ride nicer than the stockers but haven't had enough time to make any other observations yet. Once i can get them into some snow and ice i will let everyone know how they are.

johnnytrail

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fixed your comments. Lol
Had them as well and not again. Very expensive and didn't last for me.

ok LOL they do have good traction on Gravel- I dont drive enoug gravel to rip them up but ill trust you .

very surprised some guys say they are good on ice !

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've run just about every breed of tire the last 35 years and decided to try a set of Cooper AT/W's. I've had them on for a year and a half now and will not run anything else. They are wearing great on dry pavement and road noise is minimal. Traction on black ice, packed or powder snow and in mud is absolutely outstanding. Crappy Tire puts them on sale twice a year and got mine for $1000 installed.

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok LOL they do have good traction on Gravel- I dont drive enoug gravel to rip them up but ill trust you .

very surprised some guys say they are good on ice !

Totally! Ive heard lots say how great they are in winter but just as many say the same about duratracks.
Maybe i got a bad set but they howl and are total garbage on the skiff of snow red deer got.

My 35" toyo mts where smoother and quieter. But they too no good on ice obviously.

Im stoked that I discovered Nokian makes a 34-35" full winter tire. I always hated putting 31-32" winters on a 6" lifted truck. Looks goofy!

Might look at the mickey Ts for summers not sure yet, after xmas!

Reaction score
Your truck will look more goofy upside down in the ditch laying on your sleds. My vote goes to cooper discoverer m&s or Hercules Avalanche fully studded. As skinny a tire as possible for the greatest ground pressure and traction. 235/80-17. Tread wear is ok. Traction is maximum. Run 7 trucks with these in the bush and swear by them. Ya it's a shock dumping the 35's for the winters on my F350 for the first day but the confidence factor of traction on the first snow fall over rides everything.

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have about 5000km on a set of studded Toyo CT's. I went this route because 30-50% of my driving will be on gravel and I wanted something that wouldn't get immediately chewed up. Have been on some crappy roads (went over Kootaney pass this morning) and they seem to perform well. The only beef I have is the road noise.

Attachments

• IMG_1674.jpg
    IMG_1674.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 316

Wildreaper

Reaction score
Just was talking with my local Toyo dealer, who I know really well and he talked me out of the Toyo CT's. He said they are not lasting more than 50,000km if used full time. So Toyo WLT1 for me. Also nokian Hakk do not make the size for my 1 ton truck, that was to be my first choice.

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just was talking with my local Toyo dealer, who I know really well and he talked me out of the Toyo CT's. He said they are not lasting more than 50,000km if used full time. So Toyo WLT1 for me. Also nokian Hakk do not make the size for my 1 ton truck, that was to be my first choice.

What size?

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since were talking winters?
Anyone have use for these?
Blizzaks

Fits bmw, jag,Mercedes and prob others

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It's impossible to know who really knows what. Two Toyo dealers i spoke with said the WLT1 doesn't last as long as the CT and the CT were designed for modern heavy 1 ton and heavier trucks.

Have to report back on your mileage findings after the winter and we can compare lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom