Winter specific truck tires

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Steal the whole truck from driveway but wont take a decent set of tires for free!
Less work to steal truck i guess...

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm heading into winter number 2 on those on my Ram 1500. I only went with P rated because that's what came on there and I cheaped out a bit. I don't know if the higher load rating wears better, but if you drive any amount of gravel, they won't last. I've got 29,000 km on this set and they should get me through to spring, but that will be it. I believe they have 85K treadwear warranty, so I may be finding out if that works or not. The tire shop I bought them from sold another set to a guy that runs gravel everyday and his didn't make 30K.

As far as traction and everything else is concerned, they're not quite as good as a full blown winter tire, but they worked well enough that it didn't bother me. Worked alright in the rain. My whole deal was if I could get away with one set of tires for all year, I could live with them not being as good, but do an alright job with everything. The wear issue is the problem for me.

Update; Ended up getting 46,000km on the Cooper XT4 until 3 of the 4 were at the wearbars. Ended up putting on a set of BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2. Only ones I could find in a 275/60R20 in a load range D. Had a set of the original ones on another truck I had. Liked them traction wise, but they wore funny. I'll give them a go next winter and if I can't live with them I'll buy a set of dedicated winters.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Update; Ended up getting 46,000km on the Cooper XT4 until 3 of the 4 were at the wearbars. Ended up putting on a set of BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2. Only ones I could find in a 275/60R20 in a load range D. Had a set of the original ones on another truck I had. Liked them traction wise, but they wore funny. I'll give them a go next winter and if I can't live with them I'll buy a set of dedicated winters.

I won't touch KO2's. we run them on our work trucks for reasons I have no control over. Great for the first 10,000km. After that they wear funny, get noisy and vibrate. These are new F150's, used on road during all conditions. Not hauling and no heavy loads. Hope you have better luck.

My Toyo CT's have been flawless the entire winter. You can't even tell they are worn at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently sitting at about 20K on my XT4's and loved them all winter. Very rarely had to go into 4WD where i had to quite often with Duratrac's. Seem to be wearing good so far, due for a rotation right away.

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I won't touch KO2's. we run them on our work trucks for reasons I have no control over. Great for the first 10,000km. After that they wear funny, get noisy and vibrate. These are new F150's, used on road during all conditions. Not hauling and no heavy loads. Hope you have better luck.

E-rated KO2's work great with a load, they are soft, so I expect only 70,000kms out of mine. Rotation is important with any chunky tire. Every oil change rotate and balance, and checking alignment once in a while helps them last much longer without funny wear and noise.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ran KO2 for 10000 Kms and took them off and put TOYO extremes on.
The KO2's just through way to many rocks for the roads I was on.
Rocks in the brakes and beating the sh!t out of truck.
The TOYO's are good .
This is a 1/2 ton .

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a round of Nitto EXO AWT studded put on the Megacab today. Didn’t go far but also didn’t seem to be very noisy on the way home. The Mutekis on my last truck were loud. We will see how they doo tomorrow when I head west.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Got a round of Nitto EXO AWT studded put on the Megacab today. Didn’t go far but also didn’t seem to be very noisy on the way home. The Mutekis on my last truck were loud. We will see how they doo tomorrow when I head west.
What are those worth? The blizzacks on my mega are almost finished and the next set need to be a wee bit more aggressive and will possibly be studded.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
275/70r18 ...$1500 otd Kal Tire Eckville Ab. A bit more than the Mutekis were, but apparently they are being discontinued.
I ran these in the summer and really liked them.

Was thinking of running these in the winter too.

Kal tire will put extra Sipes in them for $30 a tire.

Then add in studds and I think they will be a good snow/ice tire.

I have run blizzaks and nokians, they are real good on icy roads but they don't perform well in stageing areas with a foot of snow......

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran these in the summer and really liked them.

Was thinking of running these in the winter too.

Kal tire will put extra Sipes in them for $30 a tire.

Then add in studds and I think they will be a good snow/ice tire.

I have run blizzaks and nokians, they are real good on icy roads but they don't perform well in stageing areas with a foot of snow......

They have the snowflake so you can drag your four place enclosed all the way from Albertastan to the snowline at your favorite riding area in BC

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Soo, I'm not sure if it's something new or not, but I was always under the impression you needed the snow flake or mountain symbol on the tire for B.C in the winter, however when I was looking up the weather it says you need the symbol, OR m+s tires for the winter months. Not that I care a whole lot because I've been running studded duratracs for the past 4 or 5 years now, but I always thought s & m wasn't enough .

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Soo, I'm not sure if it's something new or not, but I was always under the impression you needed the snow flake or mountain symbol on the tire for B.C in the winter, however when I was looking up the weather it says you need the symbol, OR m+s tires for the winter months. Not that I care a whole lot because I've been running studded duratracs for the past 4 or 5 years now, but I always thought s & m wasn't enough .
They backtracked on that bigtime.
Used to be snowflake or ticket.
Now you can run your 12" wide 42" tall mud tires as long as it says M+S somewhere on the sidewall.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These are 10ply with the snowflake/mountain yup
I know, been struggling to get the ole 4 place above 1500m lately.

Just gonna send it

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wasn't questioning your choice of tire Joholio, I was just questioning the requirements for B.C driving. They say the tire also requires a minimum of 3.5mm of tread. That's not much imo.
QUOTE=Joholio;2442872]These are 10ply with the snowflake/mountain yup

Just gonna send it[/QUOTE]

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wasn't questioning your choice of tire Joholio, I was just questioning the requirements for B.C driving. They say the tire also requires a minimum of 3.5mm of tread. That's not much imo.
QUOTE=Joholio;2442872]These are 10ply with the snowflake/mountain yup

Just gonna send it
[/QUOTE]

No worries I wasn’t taking it the wrong way dude

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"I have run blizzaks and nokians, they are real good on icy roads but they don't perform well in stageing areas with a foot of snow......"

those are like bacon strips in the snow honestly dont think u can beat studded duratracks

D.C

Reaction score
Has anyone ran Cooper Discoverer M + S tires on a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel? I had them on a 1/2 ton back in the day and remember they were unreal in deep snow but didn't wear so good.

Top Bottom