Winter specific truck tires

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"I have run blizzaks and nokians, they are real good on icy roads but they don't perform well in stageing areas with a foot of snow......"

those are like bacon strips in the snow honestly dont think u can beat studded duratracks

I think these exo grapplers are close.
My whole fleet is with Kal tire and the don't sell duratracs otherwise I would probably try them.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ran Cooper Discoverer M + S tires on a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel? I had them on a 1/2 ton back in the day and remember they were unreal in deep snow but didn't wear so good.

FWIW, I used to run Cooper STT’s year round and had pretty good luck but they had no snowflake, so I switched for the BC trips. I need an aggressive tire for pipeline ROWs.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ran Cooper Discoverer M + S tires on a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel? I had them on a 1/2 ton back in the day and remember they were unreal in deep snow but didn't wear so good.

I run Cooper XT4's on my 1 ton dually year round. They have been great tires so far, definitely wear a little quicker than other tires in the summer months but that is also with alot of towing 18,000+lbs so i kind of expected it. In the winter they work really well and I would say better than non-studded Duratrac's and equal to studded Duratracs (i have ran both on dually's in the past). They don't perform as well in mud for sure but on wet/dry paved roads they are much better than the DT's.

skidoo6100

Reaction score
Just got the BFG KO2 and they are pretty darn good in the snow and ice... much improved over the first version. Prob helps that I went down one size (slightly skinnier).

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run Cooper XT4's on my 1 ton dually year round. They have been great tires so far, definitely wear a little quicker than other tires in the summer months but that is also with alot of towing 18,000+lbs so i kind of expected it. In the winter they work really well and I would say better than non-studded Duratrac's and equal to studded Duratracs (i have ran both on dually's in the past). They don't perform as well in mud for sure but on wet/dry paved roads they are much better than the DT's.

If I didn't have to run any gravel I probably would have stuck with the Cooper XT4's. They wore off way too quick for my liking with what I drive. Went to the BF Goodrich KO2's now and running them year round. Only complaint is they throw rocks like a bugger.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got the BFG KO2 and they are pretty darn good in the snow and ice... much improved over the first version. Prob helps that I went down one size (slightly skinnier).

Let us know how you feel after 15,000km. We couldn't keep KO2's on our work trucks, they were so badly worn and cupped after 10,000 we took them off. A great looking tire and improved sidewalls but I will not run BFG's again.

Duratracs I believe are still the best all around performer when new, both studded and non. I haven't run Coopers but I would give them a chance. My Toyo CT's have been great and more importantly, once off maintained roads work well. Not the best on straight ice but when loaded, 10,000 pound trucks need more than a few studs to bite in.

Don't read into the SnowFlake rating too far. Its really nothing more than a minimum standard of %10 more traction than the equivalent M&S tire. Hardly worth getting excited over though most decent M&S AT's will have it I wouldn't not buy a tire because it didn't have the snowflake and it isn't a deciding factor for me when purchasing.

skidoo6100

Reaction score
Let us know how you feel after 15,000km. We couldn't keep KO2's on our work trucks, they were so badly worn and cupped after 10,000 we took them off. A great looking tire and improved sidewalls but I will not run BFG's again.

Duratracs I believe are still the best all around performer when new, both studded and non. I haven't run Coopers but I would give them a chance. My Toyo CT's have been great and more importantly, once off maintained roads work well. Not the best on straight ice but when loaded, 10,000 pound trucks need more than a few studs to bite in.

Don't read into the SnowFlake rating too far. Its really nothing more than a minimum standard of %10 more traction than the equivalent M&S tire. Hardly worth getting excited over though most decent M&S AT's will have it I wouldn't not buy a tire because it didn't have the snowflake and it isn't a deciding factor for me when purchasing.

Hope that's not the case on my truck. Mainly unloaded F350...I'll rotate the snot outta them and just got the truck aligned properly.

D.C

Reaction score
I have the XT/3's on my diesel and run all year but they are getting low on tread. Had no issues last winter when they were new but at 40% tread they just don't seem to do the trick anymore, I got caught in a storm West of Mcbride in early October. I ran the ipike's on my 1/2 ton before I switched to the Cooper M + S's and there was no question that the Coopers were the superior tire, Now to see how well they wear on a 3/4 ton.

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Good to know others are finding the same with the Snowflake rating. I put Toyo AT2 Extreme's on and have found them better in snow/ice than others with the rating. That being said everyone seems to rave about the Toyo CT's, if only they weren't such a premium.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to know others are finding the same with the Snowflake rating. I put Toyo AT2 Extreme's on and have found them better in snow/ice than others with the rating. That being said everyone seems to rave about the Toyo CT's, if only they weren't such a premium.

If you like AT2’s you would be more impressed with CT’s. I run AT2’s extreme as my summers. I find they are **** for snow and ice. I think if someone were to have CT’s siped they would be better than duracraps.

I loved the Dura’s when new but you need to rotate them a lot I found and quite a bit noisier. The CT’s are designed with cold weather in mind hence the “C”.

Luckily there are several good options and they are all round. Lol

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you like AT2’s you would be more impressed with CT’s. I run AT2’s extreme as my summers. I find they are **** for snow and ice. I think if someone were to have CT’s siped they would be better than duracraps.

I loved the Dura’s when new but you need to rotate them a lot I found and quite a bit noisier. The CT’s are designed with cold weather in mind hence the “C”.

Luckily there are several good options and they are all round. Lol

I like the Duratrac on my Titan, but went back to the Toyo after lack of sizes for my 2500. I run LT285/55/20, (stock being 265/60/20) but cant really go any bigger due to the need for me to fit into downtown parkades at work.

Will have to look closer at the CT's when the time comes!

K45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ok I will let you know what I think of my BFG KO2s - I think they are a great tire 35x12.5x18 with 21,000 Km on my 17 F350 Diesel Oilfield and Highway use, never rotated yet and no issues.

Duratrac I had nothing but issues with....

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I will let you know what I think of my BFG KO2s - I think they are a great tire 35x12.5x18 with 21,000 Km on my 17 F350 Diesel Oilfield and Highway use, never rotated yet and no issues.

Duratrac I had nothing but issues with....

Well your choice in truck disqualifies your opinion lol.

Glad the KO2’s work well for you. Like I said about Duracraps, great when new.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Megacab 3500 diesel, empty except wood box liner and trifold ramp and a case each of Busch and Twisted Tea Original... Drove through pretty much every driving condition possible today haha.

-8c at home dry, -10c skiff of snow Jackfish, 3c Kootenay Plains dry w/icy patches, -6c Bow Summit snowing, not bad through Golden(reg gas 139.9 ), nuking white gravy at Quartz 0c, -2c snowing hard Rogers Pass, 2c rain and snow at Revy, skies opened up at Malakwa 6c and dry. Snowline is way down but none on the TCH.

Studded Nitto EXO AWT quiet and gripped well in all situations, even when I pushed it a bit on purpose. They are all still round. I guess time will tell.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Megacab 3500 diesel, empty except wood box liner and trifold ramp and a case each of Busch and Twisted Tea Original... Drove through pretty much every driving condition possible today haha.

-8c at home dry, -10c skiff of snow Jackfish, 3c Kootenay Plains dry w/icy patches, -6c Bow Summit snowing, not bad through Golden(reg gas 139.9 ), nuking white gravy at Quartz 0c, -2c snowing hard Rogers Pass, 2c rain and snow at Revy, skies opened up at Malakwa 6c and dry. Snowline is way down but none on the TCH.

Studded Nitto EXO AWT quiet and gripped well in all situations, even when I pushed it a bit on purpose. They are all still round. I guess time will tell.

The EXT AWT I believe is the Nitto equivalents to the Toyo CT. I am interested to see how they hold up over time as I couldn’t get the AWT from my local guy.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just so you guys know. The m and s tires in b.c are legal as long as there is more than 6/32 left, after that they are not legal

Top Bottom