When do you start riding?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
When the snow is deep enough to cover the rocks for the trail up to elevation (that has been as early as November 7th and as late as Xmas Day). Most years I have quit on Mother's Day because I start my construction work around that time. There have been times we have rode well into June. We did a ride two years ago on the first day of summer.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
November 7th first ride this season, May 10th was the last.

I wanted to get a June ride in this season, no one was into it and I was tired of wrecking my sled on gravel trails any ways.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
November 7th first ride this season, May 10th was the last.

I wanted to get a June ride in this season, no one was into it and I was tired of wrecking my sled on gravel trails any ways.
Me too, just not worth it

Had good snow falls April, and start of may, but just not worth wrecking stuff

If it would have been a epic year, would have been different

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me too, just not worth it

Had good snow falls April, and start of may, but just not worth wrecking stuff

If it would have been a epic year, would have been different

April was a pretty decent month, but with no base down low access was brutal.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
earliest ive gone out is mid Nov - just to cure my addiction ! But still have to watch out for the landminds! Good snow doesnt start until mid Dec ! Have stopped sledding as late as late June on a good snowfall year ! this year wasnt so great for me ! - unfortunately last ride this year was April 19

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually ride Golden the 2nd week of November. No base, lots of fluff, and land mines. My riding usually ends in mid April, I'm NOT a fan of spring sledding on concrete or mashed potatoes, and avy conditions are not really great in spring, either.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the last 10 years I have what we call the "American Thanksgiving Day weekend"

It is in Revy, we arrive Wednesday evening, ride Thursday Friday Saturday and maybe Sunday. Gotta head back to Edmonton.

Lots of my U. S. friends come up and we have a great time.

We have never been skunked for snow that ride. Sure there are the "lumps" that you have to watch for, but we know some pretty sweet secret spots that are proven to be safe.

Always a great start to the season, while the rest of the areas wait for snow.. REVY rocks!

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are out cutting trails now and get to know whats under the snow so we can be ridding sooner. Like fernie snow said its any time from nov to end of dec before we can go everywhere we want to.
But in 2010 we got out Oct. 20th and it was great.
I guess that the truth is ASAP for most of us.

Reactions: Dmf

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My group usually waits until the last week of November, usually a sure bet of good enough conditions, just gotta be careful we always come back with some sort of carnage. We got spoiled last season in Mcbride and had a huge storm the night before

RMPERK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
use to always shoot for Nov 11. Last couple of years more rocks than snow on the 11th

Top Bottom