What would buy for a diesel truck?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First GMC in 20 years and truck is a 2012 3500hd Duramax. Cognito leveling ith nothing i the box it will get what you have stated. With sled deck and 285/60-20 duratracs it has dropped to 18.
29000 KMS and the only real complaint i have is the god dam brake calipers rattling on rough road. I guess it is a GMC,Chev thing.
Nice motor and trans and don't mind the erea as no smell. Havent seen any cold weather yet but will see.
Been a Ford guy for years and didn't even look at the new 6.7 for other reasons over the years. Maybe in a couple years.
One more thing the best way that you get fuel mileage is to lie about it. lol
A heavy one ton truck is not going to get 28 miles to the gallon unless it is a 2 wheel drive regular cab with no weight.

Could not agree more!!>i have a 2011 LML bone stock and best fuel mileage ever has been 21 imp MPG hwy.Luscky to just make 900km on a tank.In town towing a small work trailer its around 600km to a tank.Lifetime on DIC is around 18.5l/100km

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As mentioned GM is gonna have a new model in 14/15, so I would seriously think twice about getting a 13 GM. Just think about the depreciation after the new models come out...

Just something to keep in mind.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If yah want to run urea than look at the new ram. With the ansin 6sp tranny the engine is rated at 385hp and 850ft/lbs.
Oh I constantly get 19-20 mpg unloaded in my 2012 ram. The best I ever got was 21.5 hand calculated, not bad for a truck that doesn't need urea, to run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hillbilly64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK so fuel mileage probably goes to the duramax. I wasn't surprised there. I'm down to a 2013 Denali versus a fully loaded 2012 Laramie Longhorn. I've sat and drove each one. My thoughts are that the GMC needs an update to their same old interior where as dodge has stepped it up quite a bit. YOUR THOUGHTS?

I bought a 2012 Longhorn 3500 single axle in May. Truck has 35000 km on it as I drive constantly for work. This is my third Ram diesel and is by far the best truck I have owned so far, and that's saying allot as I still have a 2001 3/4 ton with 435000km still running strong.
My new Ram rides great,gets good mileage and the interior features are awesome.
My buddy traded in his Denali Diesel on one as soon as he laid eyes on mine. He has never been a Dodge guy but is now converted.
Enough said....lol

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. here's my new ride.
2Q==

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a beauty. My '10 will be staying with me until she's old and rusty. Love that thing.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If not for the mega cab Id be all over a GM. IMO they have the best seats going. Dirtymax is a great motor, but 1400km per tank.......the only way your going to pull that off is drive off a 500 km tall cliff on the way home!

Im full delete, piped, intake horn,boost tube, LMNOP'ed my 08 6.7 at best, down hill, I get 950km per tank!

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good one fawker! Lol

New vehicles aren't built with longevity in mind.

IMO, if you are going to keep your truck for a long time, best get working on it now! Stay on top of maintenance but it's also very important to tackle the rust BEFORE or as it starts to happen.

I tried searching for a clean diesel to buy last spring. Couldn't find one. All of them had 230-260,000K and most had moderate to serious rust issues.

I ended up buying a Toyota 4runner which makes most people cringe, however this thing was nearly rust free, and now that I've put some work into it, it's 99% rust free and runs like a brand new vehicle. I fully expect this thing to run a few 100,000 more KM. (Currently 240,000).

So, just a bit of advice, tackle the rust or problem areas NOW so it stays rust free for many years to come.

If I could ever afford a new vehicle I'd 3M the area above the windscreen, the pillars, the edge along the boxes, extensively behind the wheels and below the rockers, tailgate (if you keep it down or pull trailers), etc.

It's costly and may not look ideal in some light, but it'll keep the thing in 10x the condition as those without. Then recoat the frame often.

I cringe when I see a dodge fender. It's designed to rust out.

Last edited:

2012ProRMK

Reaction score
I currently have a Denali Hd. Its an awesome truck, easy to drive around town, tons of power and pulls great. I used to have a '09 Harley F-350, not really in the same class though as the new ones.
My good bud just bought a new one ton Laramie. The interior is awesome, and the power is almost as good as my Duramax.

butchiek50

Reaction score
Hey hows it going. I have owned 3 cummins trucks now. A 2001 six speed, a 2008 mega cab 3500 6.7, and a 2006 5.9 mega cab 3500 all 4x4's. all three have been fricking mules. other than the dodge having ball joint issues on their trucks, the motors are the epitome of a diesel. diesels are meant to be low idling, inline motors. cummins, being the industry leader and more widely used for industrial applications, makes the coolest running, most efficient diesel engine out there. in fact, they are the only one in some states that isnt required to have emmision restrictions, b/c they simply burn the fuel so efficiently, thus not relleasing the toxins in to the atmoshphere. the 6.7 litre is awesome, but you have to make a few mods. with the 6.7, they put in an egr (exhaust gas recycling system) which essentially dumps a small amount of exhaust gas in to the intake-via a electronically controlled guiliteen. if u remove the egr, it lowers the operating temperature substantially. 2nd mod, is part and parcel.......the installation of an s&b cold air intake will increase flow through your intercooler and to the intake greatly. www.s&bfilters.com then, a 4 inch afe exhaust system will also lower your temperatures as well as increase ur fuel mileage. this is what they refer to as a DPF (diesel particulate filter) delete. essentially, their is numerous sensors on your exhaust system which monitors your exhaust gases when they run out your tailpipe. the last thing you will do is a programmer. i have used the SMARTY for my 6.7 which was awesome, but you cant change on the fly. my bro uses a minimax in his 6.7 litre diesel dually. he likes it and it has all of the gauges on the lcd screen. i currently have a EFI live programmer which is custom designed for your truck, taken into account tire size, tranny, etc.

After owning all 3 trucks, the most driveable one is the 2008 6.7 litre with the 6 speed tranny and a jake brake. it applies the torque to the motor best, compared to a 4 spd in my 5.9 litre or the ever lasting 6 spd manual, which is comparable to the same trannys found in your uncles grain truck. go dodge.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I bought my truck I test drove all 3 diesels an I found that except for the cummins engine, the dodge truck itself is nothing to be desired. The front end is notorious for falling apart, their transmissions have the worst track record, I found that they have the roughest ride. My friend has a 2010 6.7 dodge and he has had the nav unit replaced, transmission re-programmed twice for harsh and missed shifts, cracked dpf replaced, tail light wiring harness burnt and replaced. And had to do balljoints and a wheel bearing at 75000km. This is a stock truck and has put a really sour taste in my mouyh for Dodge. He traded it in on a ford and couldnt be happier. Yes the cummins engine is a great engine but it gets the worst mileage and has the lowest power numbers. Don't buy a truck just because it has a cummins engine in it although I'm sure a lot of guys do.

MiledOut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't buy a truck just because it has a cummins engine in it although I'm sure a lot of guys do.
95% of the people do because the cummins itself is the easiest to moddify and takes the moddifications well, kinda like a small block chevy if you were to campare it that way.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
95% of the people do because the cummins itself is the easiest to moddify and takes the moddifications well, kinda like a small block chevy if you were to campare it that way.

Yes I suppose it is. I'm a big gm guy so I'm a little biased but to me, the truck around the cummins isn't anything great.

MiledOut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ill agree to that the truck will fall apart well before the cummins stops.

hunter2010

Reaction score
First post, thought I would chime in on the topic. I just went through the same debate, for me it was either the King Ranch, Longhorn or a distant choice the Denali HD. I am a Dodge guy, still own a 2001 3/4 ton cummins with over 450,000 kms, previously had an 04, and 07 Cummins. I went into the buying process with my heart set on the Ford KR. My parents own a 12 Denali Duramax, I've spent some time behind the wheel and they are sweet trucks but lack a lot of luster for the price and prestige of being a Denali. In the end I pulled the trigger on a 2012 1 ton Longhorn, I went with the Russett brown seats which are very similar to the KR, they don't have the cowboy stitching on the seats. For the money the Dodge had a lot more options for less money. It is a lot nicer than the KR and leaps and bounds nicer than the Denali. For those looking there are good deals out there, I paid $60,000 for a loaded CCSB white monotone, the only option it doesn't have is the ram box.

And those that say your truck will get 13-1400 kms per tank because your factory computer says so are totally out to lunch, drive it to empty and see what the actual kms are, you will be very surprised at how short you will come of 1400.

Top Bottom