What would buy for a diesel truck?

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 Duramax "ultimate gfx" edition. Before doing dpf delete I was getting about 800-900km to a tank. Now with full dpf and urea deletes I am getting over 1400km to a tank. Not to mention its a complete animal! I was raised a GM guy and will probably die a GM guy so I am pretty biased. Just test drive the truck you would want from all 3 and buy the one you like the best.

I don't believe that, my dads 6.7 ford with a 200L tank and h&s chip, all the deletes and cold air intake could only get around 1200kms to a tank hand calculated out

Sent from a iPhone

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i drive a new chevy duramax and it is ch!t on fuel and my new superduty its worse on fuel but my superduty i have 400 liters onboard so it seems like great fuel milage :rolleyes: pulling my race trailer 34 liters/100 going to radium to the car show a month ago but i am sure with your truck i could have got half that haha funny every one that i talk to that pulls big race trailers with there chevy get the same milage as i get but what do i know

This sounds more realistic and the story I hear and see the most if not from 90% of owners. The rest are either not hand calculating mileage and going off the DIC and/or not re-calibrating their speedo when they go to bigger tires.
20mpg out of an LML empty might be doable after a DPF delete and running a tune or programmer once in awhile driving like your 90 y/o with no wind or hills, but I highly doubt consistency.

The average seems to be 9-14mpg towing and 13-16 empty in a new stock LML. The best I have heard of out of any Dmax without power adders other than tunning or a programmer was around 28 mpg out of a 2wd RCLB '03 LB7 down in The states close to sea level with no hills or emissions stuff on the truck. The bigger the truck and the newer the truck, the harder it gets.

Last edited:

GRD

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Duramax "ultimate gfx" edition. Before doing dpf delete I was getting about 800-900km to a tank. Now with full dpf and urea deletes I am getting over 1400km to a tank. Not to mention its a complete animal! I was raised a GM guy and will probably die a GM guy so I am pretty biased. Just test drive the truck you would want from all 3 and buy the one you like the best.

I am running a stock 2011 Chevy 3500 HD (130 L tank). On the highway, when the truck is not loaded or pulling I can get close to 900 KM's per tank. Pulling or loaded is a totally different story.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just filled up my truck and my DIC says 602 miles to empty. Thats 1000km. That is 100% city driving and letting my truck idle for at least 20 mins every morning. I have never hand calculated my mpg and we all know how wonky that DIC is, and how much it goes up when its 100% highway driving. So going by that alone out on the highway, my truck could go 1300-1400km on a tank of fuel. I have never tried to go that far, nor do I plan to. There was one time on the highway that it read 1423km to empty. That was a full day of highway driving and then some. That was also doing an average of 110kph just so I could see how high it would read. I normally don't drive slow enough to see that so it doesn't regularly show it.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK so fuel mileage probably goes to the duramax. I wasn't surprised there. I'm down to a 2013 Denali versus a fully loaded 2012 Laramie Longhorn. I've sat and drove each one. My thoughts are that the GMC needs an update to their same old interior where as dodge has stepped it up quite a bit. YOUR THOUGHTS?

Last edited:

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed, the dodge has a nicer audio system. The in dash touch screen on the dodge have a lot more options. However on star is a nice touch for gm. Everybody have nice seats. I personally don't like the cowboy theme.

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat with the interior of the GM, I'm just going to wait until 2014/15 model that's when I heard they r updating the exterior and interior. Other wise I get the same looking truck as my 08, which is dated compared to the Ford and Dodge, IMO.

Reactions: GRD

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 08 Dmax and would like to go with the new mega cab. really like the style and amount of room in them. Nice to here the new duramax's put actual fuel tanks in them now instead of the 85-90L that mine is. I'm lucky to make it 550km's before having to fuel up.

Ironmanstl

Reaction score
I have a 2011 chev 3500 full deletes h&s tuner and yes my mileage went up but I find it impossible to believe 9L per 100Km unless you just reset your average mileage and are going down hill. As far as 1400km on a stock tank that's bs.

Last edited:

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed, the dodge has a nicer audio system. The in dash touch screen on the dodge have a lot more options. However on star is a nice touch for gm. Everybody have nice seats. I personally don't like the cowboy theme.

The limited are kinda neat. The cowboy theme sorta works for me as I support my gut with a buckle from Bull riding days but I can see how it would not be for everybody.

SlowKrawl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I'd buy a dirtymaxx personally...Ford, well...I'm an old ford guy, not so much on the new stuff. Just about EVERYONE I know with a dodge or mopar has had wiring issues...Even though I love the cummins I'm not sure I'd buy a dodge. They can't build a half decent trans to safe their life. The GM's knock the ball joints out of the front a little too regularly from what I have seen, but the duramax is a strong engine, backed by a reliable allison and they ride nice. The interior in my sierra half ton leaves a little to be desired for sure, but I know that the 5.3l and 4l60e are going to live forever(that's a different topic though).

It may not be brand new, but I do own bits and pieces of ford, gm and dodge so take my opinion for what it's worth lol.

Edit, if I were to buy a dodge, it would be a dirty ol' 12v cause my cummins swapped ford is WAY better on fuel on the highway than my brand new sierra lol. In the city, not so much...It leaves a lot of fuel on the road...

Last edited:

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK so fuel mileage probably goes to the duramax. I wasn't surprised there. I'm down to a 2013 Denali versus a fully loaded 2012 Laramie Longhorn. I've sat and drove each one. My thoughts are that the GMC needs an update to their same old interior where as dodge has stepped it up quite a bit. YOUR THOUGHTS?

I am in the same boat as you... Im still shopping Dealer in GP was gonna sell me slt mega cab white not much for options 51k... came to about 55 after taxes... I stopped short seemed like a lot when guys on here are getting better equipted trucks for that.

I love the cummins might be worth waiting to 2013 see how she runs on urea? Does well for ford and GM.

Also look at the JD powers web site... dodge future predicted reliablity is 2 out of 5 gm is a 3 and ford is way up there around 4. I know surprised me too... but any dodge owner knows its not the engine!!!!

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll admit I was skeptical too. I've had every diesel ford has ever made besides a 6.9L and this 6.7L raises the bar period. With a 4" carli suspension lift 35" tires, I average 16.6L/100km. I can't complain.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I just hit 1050 km in 3 days on my new longhorn 3500 maga, and love the all about it so far. I had a 1999 dodge from new and just sold it 7 months ago, and also bought a f350 4 yrs ago and that was the biggest pos I have ever owned and would never get one again, what I spent on the dodge in 12 yrs I spent that in 1 yr on ford. The ford was a 1 ton and old 99 dodge was a 2500 and still out pulled the ford at 2yrs old and dodge was 9 yrs old. Sold dodge for 8 grand and over 400 k and can sell ford at 200 k. So the FORD is like a Limp Noddle, lol
I just got to 779km on tank of fuel city driving, and ford I needed a f&^%$%^ extra 400l tank to city drive. BIG FAT POS, no hard feelings to ford guys, but they were nice inside and purty on the outside, but don't judge the book by its cover.................LMAO just saying.....That felt good....

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sales guy at a gm dealership told me that on the LMLs the urea only kicks on at 80 km/hr or higher so the engine can work "dirtier and harder" so the urea can clean up the extra emissions... getting better highway mileage... im not familiar with the urea system on these trucks yet

or is he just blowing smoke up my ass

MissAtlantic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm a GM girl too.... so I'm biased as well... I dont have a new diesel, just my 04 GMC Sierra 2500HD (which is a kick ass truck compared to medlers 2008 Chevy Silverado!!!! BAAAAMMMMM!!!) but if I (and medler tooo...) were to buy new I'd probably go GM .... I agree with going and test driving each you like and decide from there.... If you spend alot of time driving, which one actually has the most comfortable seats? lol

Top Bottom