What to do with my 2010 Summit?

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone's experiences are different though - I've seen a properly set up M1000 with a decent rider and I can tell you this, no 800 was touching it. The 1000 is a torque monster and can pull some quick track speed at the lower RPM range, getting it set up to pull the track speed is key IMO, once you've got the track spinning, look out.

bingo modman,,, who cares about the sleds.........

go learn how to ride and you can take down the 1000 kitty,,,, just out ride your buddy,,, I love out poking people with my stock rev, duct tape graphics, no bumper, croocked skis, missing lugs, challenger lite lol,,,, look out peeps.....

or when they say ohh my sled is not running great today,,, you say ohhh let me try maybe I can help you fix it,,, then bam you out poke your buddies own tracks,,, now that should stir some chit for a fun day on the hill....

:beer::beer:

Ramjet15x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode with several "killer" M1000's none of which were truly impressive and all looked at my bumper way more than I looked at theirs including a few mods compared to only a can for me.

That being said the best bang is track upgrade which was said earlier and the 2.5" Extreme is the way to go especially in 163 / 174, he probaly wont notice if you do talk to loud.

Jet down to 460

Follow that with a DJ / Rooster Built clutch kit

Poor beestard will be moaning all day and spending a pile to beat you, that will be the best

Unklsnomobile

Reaction score
If your buddy keeps his m1000 stock, you will give him a run for his money in all conditions. If he starts to add a few mods (pipe, porting, head etc.) you will need a turbo to stay close.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont know about summits but my 09 m8 stock except for can will take my buddies 08 m1000 anywhere, powder, racing, climbing, etc he couldnt even believe it

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
90% rider 10% sled.
Get yourself a Chris Burandt technique video and smoke your buddy with you new found secrets, its called skill. You cant buy that.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love when people say that climbing straight up a hill has a lot or everything to do with the rider..... Maybe the riders weight matters but c'mon leaning forward and mashing the throtle is the least athletic thing you can do. Now, ride uphill through the trees where you can't just bar the throtle that's a different story. And i've already heard all the storys where two guys run at a hill then switch sleds and the same guy wins on the other sled. Yes i've HEARD it, never seen it.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love when people say that climbing straight up a hill has a lot or everything to do with the rider..... Maybe the riders weight matters but c'mon leaning forward and mashing the throtle is the least athletic thing you can do. Now, ride uphill through the trees where you can't just bar the throtle that's a different story. And i've already heard all the storys where two guys run at a hill then switch sleds and the same guy wins on the other sled. Yes i've HEARD it, never seen it.

yup strait up is so ghey,,, lol

I agree we enjoy the more technical riding,:beer::beer:

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i can out climb lots of 800's and 1000's in the trees and chutes, and i ride a 600. practice practice practice. and i'd sure love to see those guys with 4 stroke turbos follow me, 95% of them would never make it.

sure they can take me on a drag across a lake, but i don't live in ontario, so i don't really care...

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a stock M1 and a well prepped stock Summit are very close, I think rider skill being important in comparing. the M1 takes very well to cheap mods tho, for under a grand they can be turned into a powder mashing monster. hard to beat that torque

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i can out climb lots of 800's and 1000's in the trees and chutes, and i ride a 600. practice practice practice. and i'd sure love to see those guys with 4 stroke turbos follow me, 95% of them would never make it.

sure they can take me on a drag across a lake, but i don't live in ontario, so i don't really care...

You're obviously an amazing rider. This internet post definitly proves it!

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're obviously an amazing rider. This internet post definitly proves it!

i'm not saying i'm an amazing rider... i'm saying some people out there think that because they have big hp, they can ride. and, they can't. do you really disagree with that statement??

most of the guys that i have rode with that have turbos spend most of the working on them. and when they do work, most go straight up as far as they can and turn around and come back down again, yippeee.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most guys I know that have mod/turbo sleds do know how to ride. A few of them just have too much money and don't really care about riding there sled much but most do.
Of course having a fast sled doesn't mean you know how to ride it but average rider on your sled will look foolish against an average rider a stock 800 and that guy will look foolish against an average rider on a mod/turbo sled. Point is 600s are lame..... Kidding. The point is the sled makes a difference.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
agreed yes, the sled does make a difference.... if you know how to ride it.

i'm done with this, enough highjacking buddies legit question.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode with several "killer" M1000's none of which were truly impressive and all looked at my bumper way more than I looked at theirs including a few mods compared to only a can for me....

OK - last post- don't want to hijack anymore but needed to say this:

Everyone needs to keep in mind that a lot of "mod" sleds run to their ability 20% of the time, so saying they beat a true mod sled on one day isn't a fair fight. Compare apples to apples when the mod sled is running spot on and then tell a true story - and it might be the same outcome, might not be though....

I used to be able to beat a 1200 Hooper with my 700, right up until the 1200 started firing on all 3 cylinders........

Also, lots of guys will slap on a riser, can and some stickers and tell you that they have a "mod" sled. So please, when you beat one of these "mods", realize its a false victory. :) I've seen many many many many many "mod" sleds out there that got spanked by lower displacement sleds or stockers, and the winners were bragging about how their stocker beat this guy's "mod" sled, when the "mod" was nothing more than a stock sled with a chrome bumper, vent kit and Boss seat. Nothing to brag about by either the winner or the loser. Monster stickers and a gas rack do not make your sled a "mod". Also, some people do not know how to tune a sled, even if they think they do.

A good running mod sled, with a comparable rider, will hand a stocker its a$$ any day of the week. That's the point of building a mod, to make it better than stock. If after you "mod" your sled, you are getting beat by stockers - well.....You're Doing It Wrong! :D

Oh, and to the original thread starter - if you do mod your sled - DO NOT tell your buddy. :D

UkrainianMudKing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well thanks for the advice everyone, I think I have a plan of action, I am going to get a clutch kit done, and upgrade my track to a 2.5 154. My reasons for this is that I just finished riding a 163 for the last 2 days and lets say it didnt enjoy the trees the same way I do. But it sure does climb.

My end goal is for a all round beastie, so for now thats my plan.

Oh and as far as my buddies is concerned all the MODS I have will be the can and muffpot. :d

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well thanks for the advice everyone, I think I have a plan of action, I am going to get a clutch kit done, and upgrade my track to a 2.5 154. My reasons for this is that I just finished riding a 163 for the last 2 days and lets say it didnt enjoy the trees the same way I do. But it sure does climb.

My end goal is for a all round beastie, so for now thats my plan.

Oh and as far as my buddies is concerned all the MODS I have will be the can and muffpot. :d

good plan man,,, best bang for the buck clutch it,,, vent it,, I agree with the 154 for all around riding,, I am short lol... down the road maybe add the pipe or the drop in kit....

take that kitty down:beer:

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First: Make your buddy promise you that he won't spend any more money on mods than you do. If you can trust that, then you've got it in the bag to out-doo him every time, especially in technical terrain.
The $500 or so for a DJ kit is worth it only if you keep your rpm in line---it's too easy to bounce on your rev limiter with it and gain little or nothing or even worse lose some pull.

Compare fuel mileage/range.
Charge him $10/gallon for the extra fuel you have to feed him in the hills, and you'll pay your sled off in a hurry.

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check out what i did to my xp in the skidoo classifieds and you will have no problem with any m1000 or pump gas turbo at 8psi, i ride with pg turbos all the time and we are almost identical in the steep and deep all else equal.

Top Bottom