First aid kit

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While waiting for snow I would like to go through my pack and make sure I am covered in an emergency. Standard first aid kits are not designed to be crushed, frozen and subjected to lots of wet conditions.

So what does everyone else do for a kit? And do you carry in your back pack or on the sled?

Our company Source Innovations ordered a bunch of basic kits in last season for customers to carry but there was not a lot of interest so maybe we missed the mark??

Jsymes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of back country First Aid kits available at Canadian Tire, Atmosphere, MEC, etc... maybe people just bought there or already had them.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I've had a small one for years but I forget where I bought it. It is about 8"x6" and 2" thick. It has all the essentials in it and I added a pill bottle to carry pain killers and Zantac. It is funny that the most used pill has been the Zantac; not that I have used a lot but other people who are stuck and complaining about last night's supper.

Never worried about it freezing but I am sure there were times that it did. Not anything in there that I would worry about if it did freeze. I carry it in my tunnel bag.

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a buddy who is a fireman and s&r guy make me up 2 first aid kits, Big one for the trailer, and one for my backpack, the one thing i questioned him about was the safety pins ( LOTS of them) His response was if you ever have to cut some ones clothing you can pin it back together to get them back down the hill, and they can be used to hold gapping wounds together,Always have a first aid kit in my backpack

H-D

Reaction score
I have the Mountain Sledder brand first aid kit. It's loaded with all the necessities and packaged in a semi hard tote. It's taken quite a beating in my tunnel pack and still holds together. Best of all it supports our sport and the industry. Cheers!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would recommend that blood clot powder stuff ,rags, tape, drugs . In are group we only had broken bones and cuts . Been able to get them out on a sled

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good info guys and as I expected there are a few extra things that I should add. I bet I am not the only one that needed to revisit this.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kit's should include at least 2 triangle bandages, 2 rolls of tensor, and a SAM splint. Don't forget nitrile gloves, you don't want what you don't know your buddy or a stranger has; along those lines a CPR pocket mask isn't a bad idea either. Clotting agent and tourniquets are a lot better than bleeding out but can do a lot of damage making it much harder for the Dr's to fix up your broken bits. Proper wound dressing is much preferred but yeah your buddy is going to be screaming when you have your fingers right in there putting direct pressure on the wound.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Made my own, and it’s pretty bulky, but fits in my pack. Basically crammed in an Alberta #1 kit, along with a CPR mask, Bivy sac and emergency blanketand some ibuprofen, gravol, and tylenol #1s with codeine. Splints are easily made in the field, and in the event of an emergency, it’s life over limb, period.

Top Bottom