What to do with my 2010 Summit?

UkrainianMudKing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok my summit rocks, the only mods I have done are a muffpot and can, in that order. So now this is where the problem comes. One of my riding buddies is looking at getting a M1000. I need to ensure I continue to beat him. So what do to?

Clutch Kit?
Go from a 2.25" TO 2.5" Track?
Pipe?
What else?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok my summit rocks, the only mods I have done are a muffpot and can, in that order. So now this is where the problem comes. One of my riding buddies is looking at getting a M1000. I need to ensure I continue to beat him. So what do to?

Clutch Kit?
Go from a 2.25" TO 2.5" Track?
Pipe?
What else?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Hope and pray that his sled only runs on one cylinder.

Seriously, there is no replacement for displacement. As much as you want to and as capable as the Summit is, a good running 800 Summit will not beat a good running M1000. You will need some serious motor mods, a big bore or nitrous kit to keep beating him.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bring him into the technical tight stuff, unless he's really good, you will have no problem loosing him.
Good clutching is also a major advantage too.
nitrus also works :d:d

UkrainianMudKing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so other than buying a M-1000 or droping 25 bills on a Yamaha do I really have no options?

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so other than buying a M-1000 or droping 25 bills on a Yamaha do I really have no options?

Enjoy the sled you have it's an awesome machine and your happy with it. Oh yeah you could mess with his a little I guess, do a little clutch work maybe without him knowing it. You'll drive each other crazy trying to outdo one another and it'll just cost a lot of money and you'll end up with a less reliable sled in the end.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get a 3 inch track 162 or 174, you will out climb any cat, even a modman kitty:d, rktek drop in kit will get you another 15 + hp for $800 clams. clutching, maybe check out the 3 d arms from tom's skidoo, looks very promising.

UkrainianMudKing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I meant his clutch, change the primary spring to something really wacky that'll slow him down but won't wreck his machine.

So besides screwing with his machine, I am pretty much screwed. But I doo like they way you think >:)

UkrainianMudKing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I meant his clutch, change the primary spring to something really wacky that'll slow him down but won't wreck his machine.

On another note if I upgrade my track from a 2.25" TO 2.5" am I going to need to do anything else and what will i see performance wise? Will 10% more surface area really help?

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of things to consider
But all things being equal, an 800 should not beat a 1000, no matter what the make is
Now in saying that, the xp will give the 1000 a good run and the 1000 better be dialed in.
Is the 1000 new or used
What is the weight difference between you and your buddy
A light man on a 800 could beat a heavy man on a 1000
The two best mods you can do is the clutch kit and NOS.
If you get the NOS, it is handy to have a set of quick clickers that you can change back and forth as you need it
I have an 09 800 with a happy button (NOS) and it is even or better than a 1000 without any mods, but that is not a fair comparison to the sled with no mods

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get a 3 inch track 162 or 174, you will out climb any cat, even a modman kitty:d, rktek drop in kit will get you another 15 + hp for $800 clams. clutching, maybe check out the 3 d arms from tom's skidoo, looks very promising.

LOL

You mean my 440 Cat? Oh that's easy to beat......

Been on a diet and has more HP too than the last time you saw it. Might run out of snow before I get to ride it again though.....

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i for one wouldn't touch that kitty, may have to get out again, maybe when the little one is sleeping :d
great snow in fernie on the weekend, went to a just opened cat skiing site, great sledding, great snow, great sledding peeps.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dunooooooooo. i dont want to start chit but the m1000 isnt that impressive. my 163 stock xp will take on a m1000 162 no problem. done it many times. its lighter and has more track surface area. thats just what ive found.

what lengths are you looking at? what does he havfe? what do you have?

the best bang for your buck is going to be a track upgrade. a 162 2.5challenger extreme 3 pitch with 7 tooth drivers would be my route.

i watched a stock 800r do some pretty insane stuff this weekend with a 174 2.5

next i would do a dj clutch kit

full exhuast system dynoport or slp i found to work

and nitrous if you want. i love it. but not required to take down that kitty. you said you want to beat him not embarrass him.

make sure your suspension is setup for what your looking to beat him at. the 2010 from the factory is a wheelie machine and will not help you while climbing.

get some good venting going on the clutch side aswell.

next you could consider an rkt cylinder head and or a 860/880 big bore in the future

but dont be scared of that 1000. if you have the same track length you might be suprised at the results.

if you have a 154 and he has a 162 he will win every time. even if you get the 2.5 154 im sure he will still take you down

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dunooooooooo. i dont want to start chit but the m1000 isnt that impressive. my 163 stock xp will take on a m1000 162 no problem. done it many times. its lighter and has more track surface area. thats just what ive found.

Everyone's experiences are different though - I've seen a properly set up M1000 with a decent rider and I can tell you this, no 800 was touching it. The 1000 is a torque monster and can pull some quick track speed at the lower RPM range, getting it set up to pull the track speed is key IMO, once you've got the track spinning, look out.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone's experiences are different though - I've seen a properly set up M1000 with a decent rider and I can tell you this, no 800 was touching it. The 1000 is a torque monster and can pull some quick track speed at the lower RPM range, getting it set up to pull the track speed is key IMO, once you've got the track spinning, look out.

"if you don't make it over the top, you don't have enough track speed" heard that somewhere. may apply here. you will have a hard time beating displacement. besides modman knows a sweet kitty when he sees one, seems to be fond of black ones, that lift the skies skyward.:beer::beer:

Top Bottom