What kind of helmet camera?

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a gopro wide angle camera and it takes very good videos. Still trying to figure out how to get the sound done right but the picture quality is graet for a lower priced unit. Here are a few of the vids I did with mine.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDhTzK3Lhho[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAA0PPhRnwc&feature=channel[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_s7OKRzNR4&feature=channel[/media]

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is from my vholdr camera. self contained. Their new one (vholdrHD)is hi Def and has a much better mic. They're around $350.00 but you can probably find it cheaper on ebay.

mudbug

Reaction score
Go with the gopro awsome little cam for $200 beans and you also get the mounting brackets etc with it. only down fall is no view back screen and you have to replace the batteries every hour or so depending how much you use it.

I give it an 8+ out of 10 :d:d

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I ordered the Vholdr from Helmetcamcentral.com. Complete package with extras and shipping is over $400.00, totally self contained, no wires, LI-Ion batteries, SD cards 2 mounting brackets. I had thought about Go-Pro but I did not like the sound, did not need to take pics with it and I like high quality video. I have the erlier version of the Vholdr, made by Twenty20 and it is an excellent camera but the wire to the mic broke and have to get a new mic, hubby tried to fix but need an electronics person to do it, small stuff.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
This is from my vholdr camera. self contained. Their new one (vholdrHD)is hi Def and has a much better mic. They're around $350.00 but you can probably find it cheaper on ebay.

Hey Summiteer, this is the camera I have ordered through helmetcamcentral.com. Is it really as good as the reviews are, I am really impressed withe videos I have seen on the net and it is from the same maker of the helcam that I currently have.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm helmet cam shopping too. Toss up between the new Vhold contourHD or the VIO POV1.5. $$ less for the vhold.

Read mixed reviews on the contour HD 60fps when shooting in SD mode. Sounds good -but talk/reveiws out there say it'll create problems with sharing etc as other programs/youtube/DVD's etc don't support 60fps. You have to slow it down to 30fps resulting in slo-mo video. It shoots 30fps in HD mode, so you'd need to shoot HD to be able to share video other than through the vhold portal. ??? I know I would like to shoot in SD and HD and not have to reduce/slow down my video from 60fps to 30fps to share it or put in on a DVD.
Anyone with any clarification on this???

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had VERY bad luck with the Vhold, once customer went through 3 of them before they gave up and returned it. One of my co-workers also bought one, and she went through 4 before she got one that finally worked... Maybe they have worked out the kinks that were present in the ones that were out a couple years ago?

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
What exactly were the problems? I have a Twenty20 camera, not SD card model, mine you have to plug into handy cam to record. It works great but last summer the wire for the mic finally broke,hubby tried to fix but everything is so small. The video itself is excellent and I never had a problem. It is 4 years old now and used it a lot. Want the new SD kind for simplicity sake, no wires.

Rufus777

Reaction score
Motocomm makes an awesome helmetcam, here's the proof.:d

[media]http://vimeo.com/4804634[/media]

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Summiteer, this is the camera I have ordered through helmetcamcentral.com. Is it really as good as the reviews are, I am really impressed withe videos I have seen on the net and it is from the same maker of the helcam that I currently have.

I like the video (I too have older version no hi def) Thing I found is mic is too sensitive, lots of wind noise on the sled, may be better at the slower speeds most people travel at on quads.

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a couple GoPro cameras, for different angles. I agree that the sound isn't that good, but the picture catches a lot with the fisheye lense. We used them for sledding around here in the winter. They seem to take a real beating. We have had them involved in roll-overs, and they come out good as new. I don't know anything about the other types of cameras mentioned previously, but must add that this camera comes with a waterproof housing. If you want to take it for a 'swim'......:d

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com

Where did you buy your Vholdr from. I had ordered one through helcamcentral but they do not ship internationally so now I have to get one some other way. Any info would be great.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where did you buy your Vholdr from. I had ordered one through helcamcentral but they do not ship internationally so now I have to get one some other way. Any info would be great.

Bought mine from RPM Powersports (780-706-2411) here in Whitecourt. I think they are about $430 or so now....get the wall charger too, half the time to charge the batteries.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Bought mine from RPM Powersports (780-706-2411) here in Whitecourt. I think they are about $430 or so now....get the wall charger too, half the time to charge the batteries.

Yeah that is what I had ordered, the whole package, extra battery, chargers and 2 SD cards, now I have to search for a place that has one.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com

Thanks I am going to call them on Monday, see if they have any in stock. I would like to have one before the Outwest weekend.

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the ControurHD from Vholdr, and I've used it on two rides now. For a self contained unit that can record up to 8 hours in HD (on a 16GB MicroSD), it's hands down one of the best out there! I've gotten some killer video from it and the sound will pick up normal conversations as well.. Wind noise is still there at high speeds, but with the roar from the motor it really doesn't matter.. I mostly wanted it for the stuck and mud shots anyway.

I ordered mine from Point of view cameras, which has a Canadian website. I'm still waiting on my accessories, and I have to send them a few emails to get my camera on time (I think they forgot about my order), but otherwise the price was right.

Top Bottom