Dash camera suggestions please.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can these be discretly mounted and used to monitor your truck and record the douche scoping out and breaking into trucks in a staging area?
That's half the reason I have one. I can tell you though, it's not perfect. It's a balance on finding the right sensitivity for motion and shock. Snow and water accumulation on the glass is an issue as well.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's half the reason I have one. I can tell you though, it's not perfect. It's a balance on finding the right sensitivity for motion and shock. Snow and water accumulation on the glass is an issue as well.
The way I've overcome the sensitivity settings are to just use a big enough card that will take 24 hours or so to do it's loop before it starts overwriting non saved footage. Not perfect, but you'll catch any incidents without having to rely on the right sensitivity setting. Pain to go through hours of footage to find the spot you want, but it's there at least. Not much you can do about the snow accumulation though. The Garmins have settings in parking mode that will save movement in the camera view without relying on the G force sensors, I haven't played with them though.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From my limited research to date, yes. You need two cameras (a front mount and a rear mount). teeroy explains that in a post above.
Those are the Garmin series and I would tend to trust Garmin more so than many of the other brand

The last ones I had before the Garmins were called DOD, they were pretty good footage wise as well. One of them came with a remote rear cam that plugs into the main unit but running the cable was a hassle. The Garmin stuff is definitely more cash, but the convenience is worth it in my opinion.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a side note, just about every action camera made these days (Drift, GoPro) all have car DVR modes that act like dashcams with loop recording. Kinda pricey for a dashcam, but it is an option if you already have one. Another thing I should mention is that if you are leaving your vehicle running parked for an extended period, turn down the defrost. I've fried a few Chinese cams by leaving my defrost on and baking them into submission.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The info on the Garmin 67W says the battery life is up to 30 minutes. So then does it draw power from the vehicle battery to continue to monitor movement, etc.?

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The info on the Garmin 67W says the battery life is up to 30 minutes. So then does it draw power from the vehicle battery to continue to monitor movement, etc.?
Yes it does but very little power and only when it records something

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need a constant power supply. This is typically done with a hard wire kit that will turn off at a predetermined voltage so that you don’t kill the vehicles battery. An alternative is an in-line power bank that charges while you drive and continues power supply when the vehicle is off.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our 57 has been plugged into the wife's car since last June and has never had a battery issue. I only put it into my truck when I went on the sledding trip.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My ? is this whats the point if every clown is masked or otherwise even if out in the boonie's and some 1 breaks into your vehicle, and if you go to the "Corporation police with video that's not tighter than frogs arse what's the sense. When they are are simply gonna tell ya that's what insurance is for. Just my 002:)

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My ? is this whats the point if every clown is masked or otherwise even if out in the boonie's and some 1 breaks into your vehicle, and if you go to the "Corporation police with video that's not tighter than frogs arse what's the sense. When they are are simply gonna tell ya that's what insurance is for. Just my 002:)

My thoughts exactly, seems like a waste of money IMO, never be a dash cam in my truck unless it came factory lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly, seems like a waste of money IMO, never be a dash cam in my truck unless it came factory lol

Not a waste of money at all. 2 years ago my sledding buddy was driving his gravel truck through Fernie and a truck cut in front of him and slammed on the brakes. Cop asked if he had a dash cam to prove what he was telling the cop and he said no. Cop charged him with the accident said he was tailgating the the truck. The pick up was a write off and his gravel truck was down for a month.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a waste of money at all. 2 years ago my sledding buddy was driving his gravel truck through Fernie and a truck cut in front of him and slammed on the brakes. Cop asked if he had a dash cam to prove what he was telling the cop and he said no. Cop charged him with the accident said he was tailgating the the truck. The pick up was a write off and his gravel truck was down for a month.

That’s all good but most of the time cops don’t do the right thing, they seem lazy and don’t really care of proof of anything, if they can avoid extra work and paperwork, they do.Had two sketchy dudes trying to break into my garage one night, on camera at my house , could see where they went to try and get in, could see they went in my backyard and opened up my sheds and took chainsaw and my stihl leaf blower,could see what they were wearing and the direction they left. The wife called me at work and said she heard people out there, I called the cops and they said what do you want us to do, I said I have them on camera, descriptions of them and what direction they went, and said do your job, get in a car and go find two guys walking around in light coloured hoodies stealing ch!t. Guaranteed they were living in the junkie palace at the old Alaskan hotel down the street that was converted to a junkie paradise.They said not happening, so I grabbed a baseball bat and my light you up stick and went searching. Found them and chased them for awhile in my truck but lost them . Had they gone out they would of been at least 30 mins ahead of me and probably could of got them, or at least went to junkie palace and got them there……. They were more interested In getting the fresh donuts at Tim’s I’d say lol

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a JVC runs continuous as long as it has power. But obviously does loop. Wifi to my phone with the app. so all video if I want it. Came in handy when a welder backed into my truck on the right of way but no one wanted to own up to it.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It's a cover your ass thing for me. Besides, if you can catch a dramatic incident you can make some money off the clips. This one's made me a few bucks.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a cover your ass thing for me. Besides, if you can catch a dramatic incident you can make some money off the clips. This one's made me a few bucks.

Crazy ch!t

ArtieBar64

Reaction score
Can these be discretly mounted and used to monitor your truck and record the douche scoping out and breaking into trucks in a staging area?
Yes, Garmin has the “Parking Guard” feature: (requires Parking Mode cable)

PARKING GUARD​

When your Garmin Dash Cam Live detects an incident affecting your parked car, you’ll receive a notification in the Garmin Drive app, with a video clip of the detected incident. This feature requires an active LTE subscription

Parking Mode Cable

Install video

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s all good but most of the time cops don’t do the right thing, they seem lazy and don’t really care of proof of anything, if they can avoid extra work and paperwork, they do.Had two sketchy dudes trying to break into my garage one night, on camera at my house , could see where they went to try and get in, could see they went in my backyard and opened up my sheds and took chainsaw and my stihl leaf blower,could see what they were wearing and the direction they left. The wife called me at work and said she heard people out there, I called the cops and they said what do you want us to do, I said I have them on camera, descriptions of them and what direction they went, and said do your job, get in a car and go find two guys walking around in light coloured hoodies stealing ch!t. Guaranteed they were living in the junkie palace at the old Alaskan hotel down the street that was converted to a junkie paradise.They said not happening, so I grabbed a baseball bat and my light you up stick and went searching. Found them and chased them for awhile in my truck but lost them . Had they gone out they would of been at least 30 mins ahead of me and probably could of got them, or at least went to junkie palace and got them there……. They were more interested In getting the fresh donuts at Tim’s I’d say lol

The cops don't come out to a theft unless you say it's over $3000. worth of items stolen. I found this out by the police in summer. They don't even do a police report just give you a file number. camera footage seems to be better to put on sociol media.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thing is here as written in the traffic act is that anyone rear ending someone regardless if there lights are not working etc.. is at fault period. Bus did this to me on my motorcycle and had no brake lights i laid it down and skidded for a ways after the impact, bus drive said he knew they were not working so he went back and had them fixed but he never did check after if it was fixed. My fault the cop said and i got the 7 demerit ticket. If i was that truck driver i would have taken it to court and see what they would have said, because not even the cop can prove his theory either, leave it up to the judge i say. Just my 002;)

Top Bottom