Dash camera suggestions please.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Looked through the Archives and didn’t find anything up-to-date.
Recommendations for a dash camera. Do the ones that take the rear video operate from the front location? Like is the camera lens on the front unit or is there a separate unit that attaches to the rear window?
Any suggestions/ideas/cautions would be appreciated. TIA

Reactions: RJP

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a garmin 57. My son has the same one. Only takes the front pictures. also works when the car/truck is parked.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do the ones that take the rear video operate from the front location? Like is the camera lens on the front unit or is there a separate unit that attaches to the rear window?
Any suggestions/ideas/cautions would be appreciated. TIA

Both dual camera configurations are available. The ones with the rear facing second camera mounted up at the windshield are targeting Uber / company vehicles. There are a very few triple camera setups too.
Endless reviews on YouTube.
In a nutshell, almost every camera on the market has some disappointment in video quality and you don't always get what you pay for. It's more of a pick your features and price range and find what is popular. There are a few really cheap ones that work reasonably well if all you're after is a basic model. Parking mode isn't always a standard feature and typically requires accessories and a more in depth installation. Beware the phone apps can take some learning.
Black Box my Car is probably the largest retailer in North America and is located in Richmond.
I bought a Viofo A129 Pro Duo from them a few years ago. I had rocky start with a d.o.a rear camera unit twice, but has been working well since. Customer service is pretty good from BBMC and Viofo does firmware updates, so they seem to at least have some product support. I would buy the same model from the same seller again.

Last edited:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both dual camera configurations are available. The ones with the rear facing second camera mounted up at the windshield are targeting Uber / company vehicles. There are a very few triple camera setups too.
Endless reviews on YouTube.
In a nutshell, almost every camera on the market has some disappointment in video quality and you don't always get what you pay for. It's more of a pick your features and price range and find what is popular. There are a few really cheap ones that work reasonably well if all you're after is a basic model. Parking mode isn't always a standard feature and typically requires accessories and a more in depth installation. Beware the phone apps can take some learning.
Black Box my Car is probably the largest retailer in North America and is located in Richmond.
I bought a Viofo A129 Pro Duo from them a few years ago. I had rocky start with a d.o.a rear camera unit twice, but has been working well since. Customer service is pretty good from BBMC and Viofo does firmware updates, so they seem to at least have some product support. I would buy the same model from the same seller again.
I have had good luck with Viofo . Been going strong for a while and once the updates were done the picture quality improved.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Researching the Garmin series today from Best Buy.
67W looks good. No rear capabilities and it appears that the Mini for a rear camera would have to be a stand alone.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run the Rexing 1080s in my truck and the wife's car. I just ordered a 3rd for my Jeep. Still waiting for it to come in.
Takes pretty decent videos. I have a few loaded up on my you tube channel from it. Night tike shows good too.

Heard you want minimum 1080 of 4K for it to hold up in court. Was told anything smaller is too grainy.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought the Garmin 57 yesterday. Not installed yet but couple truckers I know run them and have pretty good real world reviews, $300 at best buy in PG yesterday

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run the Rexing 1080s in my truck and the wife's car. I just ordered a 3rd for my Jeep. Still waiting for it to come in.
Takes pretty decent videos. I have a few loaded up on my you tube channel from it. Night tike shows good too.

Heard you want minimum 1080 of 4K for it to hold up in court. Was told anything smaller is too grainy.
Can you link the videos so we can see?
The dash cams, not the home videos.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you link the videos so we can see?
The dash cams, not the home videos.
Lol. I'll try keep those ones off here.

- night time moose encounter.

- early morning dark drive. The meteor I saw.

- I was towing the trailer here. When this guy pulled out. No sounds due to the swearing.

from the one in my wife's car.

https://youtube.com/shorts/itSU_HVdw8s?feature=share

I forget the price. I bought off Amazon. Then I Carry a card reader that plugs to my phone so I can upload videos as I see stuff happen.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had good luck with the apexcam, the rear camera I have mounted at back window in the truck. That way you have view of sides of box by rear corners. Lot's of dash cams come with plug in for auxillary power outlet(cigerette lighter) but if your like me who dosen't want wires running across the dash I routed all wiring out of sight. Behind headliner to corner post then down corner post to fuse box( watch how you run wires there due to the air bag) and over to fuse box. Most dash cameras you can not cut off the aux power port plug off and wire into fuse box you need to wire in a plug for it to plug into due to they don't run off 12volts and the aux.port plug reduces the voltage . You can hook up to reverse so it works as a back up camera. If you want you can save a section on your card if in a accident and it will not tape over it. I have mine on loop for if card fills up it will start over on recording. Been running this camera for 1.5 years before covid with no issues. Picture is clear and many options like movement when parked camera will record but if no movement will shut off. It is a cheaper unit than some but have had no issue

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol. I'll try keep those ones off here.

- night time moose encounter.

- early morning dark drive. The meteor I saw.

- I was towing the trailer here. When this guy pulled out. No sounds due to the swearing.

from the one in my wife's car.

https://youtube.com/shorts/itSU_HVdw8s?feature=share

I forget the price. I bought off Amazon. Then I Carry a card reader that plugs to my phone so I can upload videos as I see stuff happen.

Those are pretty good, like the 1 when Bullwinkle decides the grass is greener on the other side of the road :LOL: Gracefull animals but sometimes not the brightest animal in the woods.

Reactions: RXN

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had quite a few different brands over the years, the ones I have now are Garmins. With the 47/57/67 series you can connect them together via wifi if you have multiple cameras and they will sync with each other. You can have one up front and one pointing back, when there is an incident or a clip you want to save it will save that clip on any connected cams via voice command or pushing the save button. It's also nice to be able to view, edit, and download the clips onto any connected bluetooth device using their app and not having to remove the micro SD card. The 57 and 67 are 1440p (47 is 1080) and the night video is excellent.

This is footage from the front mounted 47. Gave bullwinkle a little nudge with the moose bumper.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Can these be discretly mounted and used to monitor your truck and record the douche scoping out and breaking into trucks in a staging area?
From my limited research to date, yes. You need two cameras (a front mount and a rear mount). teeroy explains that in a post above.
Those are the Garmin series and I would tend to trust Garmin more so than many of the other brands.

Top Bottom