What is best GPS

magnet99

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a GPS.
What is best for map back country Alberta? Like to do more trails this summer, out west, Edson, Hinton Area.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Garmin 62 series or rhino, then get abycus from the net, and input it into the gps

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or for a $25.00 donation (PayPal) to Dale Atkin ( ibycus) out of Calgary you can get his All of Canada Topo V4. Do a search on Dale Atkin or ibycus. This Software is configured to work with the Garmin MapSourse Software when you have the Trip and Waypoint Manager installed in/on your computer.

Bruce.

Last edited:

SammyTson

Reaction score
I've been using the Garmin GPSMAP 62st for hiking, but the Oregon touchscreen looks pretty tempting - probably going to stick with the 62 for awhile, I'm a big fan of topographical maps.

sparky 87

Reaction score
Hey if your still looking for a gps and software there is a place out of Calgary called gps central, not sure if it's the same place as the person above is speaking about, but my friend ordered a gps normally 250 bucks for 150. And the had the sd cards with a whole bunch of maps. Check it out of your still in the market plus it's a Canadian site.
http://www.gpscentral.ca/

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how is the new Garmin 655T working out? Not many of them out yet, but I am heading south of the boarder and looking to pick one up.

wakeandsnow

Reaction score
Obviously you haven't used them in the winter yet since your post is from april, but has anyone heard anything about the cold affectying the 655? I am tempted to buy one because of the luck i've had with the Rhino but I want to use it for sledding as well...

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am trying bushmaps in my gps.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't know about the best but....I just dropped my quad on my Garmin Oregon 450 and it still works. Pretty tough unit!

sled-fiend

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.raintek.ca
Obviously you haven't used them in the winter yet since your post is from april, but has anyone heard anything about the cold affectying the 655? I am tempted to buy one because of the luck i've had with the Rhino but I want to use it for sledding as well...

We bought them prior to the snow season, so yes zero issues all winter long (I live in BC which doesn't get as cold obv as some places).

wakeandsnow

Reaction score
We bought them prior to the snow season, so yes zero issues all winter long (I live in BC which doesn't get as cold obv as some places).

oh well thats good news. I have just heard rumblings of the screen not reacting as well in the cold being a touch screen unit.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am trying bushmaps in my gps.

now ray does this new fangled mapping program show the where abouts ot the fabled lost marble mountain?
icon10.gif

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so anyone have any updates as to which has the better mapping. looks like backroads or bushmaps. any input?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can show you bush maps on my GPS one day.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We will be lost. Don't worry.

Top Bottom