Trail Tech

hookedonboost

Reaction score
What sled is everyone wanting to mount this on? Its very easily wired in on a G5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
G5 - we used a Milwaukee 12v battery with a one way resistor- so far 10+ days - works awesome, some of the first tracks don't want to display otherwise excellent. Some in the group not working as good as they don't have constant power (no Charging from sled)

hookedonboost

Reaction score
I don’t doubt that is true, but what I said is also true - buddy tracking doesn’t work.
Buddy Tracking works for us (so far all the time) 4 - 8 units in the group depending on the day, can see everyone up to ~1/2 mile away in steep trees / ravines, seems to buddy hop up to 2 miles on trails (Owls & Blue Lake). No Cell service where we are unless you are on top. the auxiliary antenna (~$15) improves accuracy

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy Tracking works for us (so far all the time) 4 - 8 units in the group depending on the day, can see everyone up to ~1/2 mile away in steep trees / ravines, seems to buddy hop up to 2 miles on trails (Owls & Blue Lake). No Cell service where we are unless you are on top. the auxiliary antenna (~$15) improves accuracy

I realize that I could have been clearer. LOL

Buddy tracking works awesome between trail tech units and 7S sleds, no cell phone service needed. I was replying to 06 Dragon that if using a phone with ride command app, buddy tracking does not work unless everyone has cell service. 7S riders need to have their phone with them and link up the phone to the 7S.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ordered 12v kit from skidoo, then grabbed 14v battery with 12v charger. Spliced TT power cord between the charger and battery.

IMG_9915.jpeg

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why cant you just run this unit direct to 12v accessory on the sled so its just powered up when the sled is running?

My experience is that the unit needs online power pretty much all day long, especially in the cold. Only charging during engine running may result in the unit turning off due to low battery every time you killl the sled, meaning having to turn it on each time . PITA IMO.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My experience is that the unit needs online power pretty much all day long, especially in the cold. Only charging during engine running may result in the unit turning off due to low battery every time you killl the sled, meaning having to turn it on each time . PITA IMO.

gotcha, so the unit does have an internal battery of some sort?

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why cant you just run this unit direct to 12v accessory on the sled so its just powered up when the sled is running?
Because the TT battery is POS and drains in about 5 min. Once it dies, you need to rejoin the group your on. You want it on, so if your stopped somewhere and your sleds off your group can still find you.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You loose power quickly when tracking you’re group and gps is constantly dropping marks. If you are hung up and can’t run sled, need back up power. Too bad all the big 3 sled builders can’t all just swallow their pride and use the same system to track each other for safety reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You loose power quickly when tracking you’re group and gps is constantly dropping marks. If you are hung up and can’t run sled, need back up power. Too bad all the big 3 sled builders can’t all just swallow their pride and use the same system to track each other for safety reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agreed, the best part is that its free tech and has existed for decades. They literallty just need to swollow their pride, thats it.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because the TT battery is POS and drains in about 5 min. Once it dies, you need to rejoin the group your on. You want it on, so if your stopped somewhere and your sleds off your group can still find you.
Any more info on your setup? Bought three of the TTS and figured that they would charge from sled (which they do) but according to tt tech support the charge acceptance rate vs the discharge rate pretty much cancel each other out . Wish I had known that before buying & installing.
Going to try an Xtra dock + AC charger to fully charge before riding (still an Xtra thing to remember which is a pita). Looking at adding a battery too as I want them to stay on for the days ride with frequent stop / starts so the tracking is always active.
One sled still has estart so I can rewire it to the sled battery to keep it on all day. May add small battery back on the other sleds (non estart) plus the associated wiring harnesses... Just looking at options ....

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
correct, even the new CAT with the built in Garmin should be able to read those signals with the right receivers plugged in.
Agreed. If BRP gets over their egos, I would guess cat will follow suit within 7-8 years(I mean, they're trying to follow suit with pricing anyway, whether or not they realize that's NA vs Turbo). It's pretty sad that the GPS in my 15 year old truck works better than what BRP put out to be competitive in the market today.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any more info on your setup? Bought three of the TTS and figured that they would charge from sled (which they do) but according to tt tech support the charge acceptance rate vs the discharge rate pretty much cancel each other out . Wish I had known that before buying & installing.
Going to try an Xtra dock + AC charger to fully charge before riding (still an Xtra thing to remember which is a pita). Looking at adding a battery too as I want them to stay on for the days ride with frequent stop / starts so the tracking is always active.
One sled still has estart so I can rewire it to the sled battery to keep it on all day. May add small battery back on the other sleds (non estart) plus the associated wiring harnesses... Just looking at options ....

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk
I can tell you that having it fully charged before riding will not do much for you. You need some form of back up battery wired in. I have installed and rigged in over a dozen of these and they work. Im sure there are other options, but this is the one i prefer. With this system you dont have another battery to worry about at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is how Polaris gets there parts on everyone else. Polaris owns Trail Tech i believe
Yes, they bought them out in 2016. It's the most desirable thing they have going too. I would pay a reasonable licensing cost to have that ability on my doo. Not super interested in adding a standalone system though.

Top Bottom