What did you do for your ATV today?

camoJoe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Noticed I have a tear or leak on my front outer CV boot, wondering if replacing axle is best/easiest course of action, or replacing boot

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it is not a big tear, and very little dirt you can also reseal it with windshield sealer, stuff works amazing. Real easy fix, squirt a bit of grease in boot crack, wipe the boot clean, rubbing alcohol, goop the sealer on let it cure/dry good to go, i have one i did a year ago, it is still good as new, it is amazing product

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Noticed I have a tear or leak on my front outer CV boot, wondering if replacing axle is best/easiest course of action, or replacing boot

Replace the boot Joe , clean and use GOOD grease ...
Make sure it is functioning well / not clicking and did not get hot ( run out of grease ) after the tear .
Fix it properly/ don't try to Micky mouse it with glue / bubble gum or what ever ...
sealing water or dirt or other contaminants in is about the worse thing you can do . Not to mention you have no idea if any grease is left in the cv joint along with water ?or if it got hot and the grease came out .

A boot is cheaper than a new axle .
Not to mention the high chance of a failure on the trail , and ruining the ride .
Cheers , and great catching with you at the rally !

Last edited:

WarrenG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah if done with care just replacing the boot should be fine. UTV Canada had a ton of commander boots at the garage sale this year so I'm sure they still have some left. I grabbed a few each of the inner and outers and I think they were like $8 each.

WarrenG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gave the commander a much needed wash today including soaking the synthetic winch line in soapy water then a good rinse and hanging it to dry now.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found a few things today.
Also all fixed.

Both rear wheel brgs. Rear brake pads

Front brake pads. Front outer tie rod ends

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with the amount of work required to replace boot, may be better to replace axle, than change boot. depending how much of a tear, amount of grease lost and how much mud/rocks inside boot. you are the one rolling the dice. :twocents:

camoJoe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
follow up on boot replacement. commander.

Managed to get front axle out, found 2 tears, where grease was leaking out of, (front outer boot ) , can I use the universal boot kit , (with cone from UTV Canada) to replace the torn boot on the commander? , or do i have to use can am commander boots. ? short on brass punches and hammers to disassemble cv joint.
this would pull the boot right over the joint without the need of joint disassembly.

camoJoe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tried taking CV joint apart, from front axle, no success, living 10 minutes from a dealer does have it's advantages , they placed the new boot on it as well, all for 1/2 hour labor , Thank you Wetaskiwin Motorsports !

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tried taking CV joint apart, from front axle, no success, living 10 minutes from a dealer does have it's advantages , they placed the new boot on it as well, all for 1/2 hour labor , Thank you Wetaskiwin Motorsports !

Why do you have to keep taking your CV apart?

camoJoe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why do you have to keep taking your CV apart?

Removed axle, removed boot, because it was tore, needed to take joint apart to place new can am boot on, (done by dealer) now install axle, .... still the same cv joint worked on only once, , however the thread says "what did you do to your ATV today" and i am responding on a daily basis.. Grin.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need to adjust toe in on sxs today since I replaced tie rods.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
What wire are people using for stitching panels back together? I had an incident with a tree, which resulted in a cracked panel.... which is well over $500 to replace..... I think stitches will look good.

I'm looking at 19 gauge tie wire and 0.035 diameter welding wire, which would be better?

Top Bottom