weight of truck

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
stock wheels and tires, 10 ply (factory) that's what the rating on the door go by too. the only thing i added is a leveling kit, that weighs like 20 lbs, i installed it, and a set of fog lights on the fornt bumper, maybe another60 lbs with the bar. it's not heavy i installed that too. seems odd that two guys, a leveling kit, and a light bar put the truck over weight, when it comes with a payload range of 1860-2410 lbs. i just ppulled those numbers from the dodge site. the two sleds, deck, my buddy and me don't weigh 1860 lbs. maybe all the manufactures screwed up the gvwr ratings?? and yes it has 8 bolt axles, and i forgot i have bags, which aren't that heavy either.

Last edited:

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
stock wheels and tires, 10 ply (factory) that's what the rating on the door go by too. the only thing i added is a leveling kit, that weighs like 20 lbs, i installed it, and a set of fog lights on the fornt bumper, maybe another60 lbs with the bar. it's not heavy i installed that too. seems odd that two guys, a leveling kit, and a light bar put the truck over weight, when it comes with a payload range of 1860-2410 lbs. i just ppulled those numbers from the dodge site. the two sleds, deck, my buddy and me don't weigh 1860 lbs. maybe all the manufactures screwed up the gvwr ratings?? and yes it has 8 bolt axles, and i forgot i have bags, which aren't that heavy either.

2 sleds at or over 500 lbs full of gass each... Sled deck (2-300lbs) and 2 chaps (??? LOL) plus the accessories u listed (at or around 200lbs)

500+500+250+People+200+ around 1500lbs...

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that's the power and torque, not the weight. my hemi has 375 ft.\lbs. torque, and 345 HP. it has no issue hauling it, likes the fuel above 120 though.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my co-worker just bought the identicle truck the weekend. it is bone stock with no add ons. i'm going to take it to the flying j scale tomorow and weigh it. maybe then we'll figure this out. or confuse the hell out of us some more?? lol . good night all, i'll let you know wht his weighs.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sad thing you are finding out is the mega cab kills the trucks capacity, any mega cab diesel 2500 with a deck and 2 sleds will be overloaded by one rating or another. The mega cab is heavier, and kills it's capacity.

I can't gaurantee what B.C will say, but I do know any scale in Alberta will go by axle and tire ratings, not GVW. I have weighted previous trucks and been up to 1500lbs over GVW without issue as that is not what you go by with the law. I can't see B.C being different but who knows. In alberta legally, a srw will haul more then a drw, just because it weights less.

If you think that's bad, my old 3500 was at max gvw with just a deck, no sleds. Add ons add up the weight quickly.

As said, changing decals is not a good idea, but there is nothing wrong with removing them, but it won't change anything as far as being legal or not.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok, i'm new. wasn't trying to start anything, just was curious if he was, what for?? some sites are nothing but people trashing each other, was hoping this one wasn't. so can anyone de scramble my brain on this topic? it totally doesn't make sense. the web site i was using to get the specs form was auto123.com

It won't take you long to learn who should be ignored.

DooSummit

Reaction score
A 2006 1500 mega cab with a hemi engine sits on the same axles and suspension as a 2006 2500 mega cab with a hemi engine (I believe this is why they stoped making the 1500 with a mega cab, as it weighs too much to have the suspension of a 1500 so they may as well just call it a 2500). They have just about the exact same payload. A 2006 2500 crew cab with hemi engine has a higher payload than both and any 2500 with a deisel engine has a lower payload than all of the above. I have an 06 2500 crew cab with a hemi and a 2010 3500 cunmings and the 2010 payload is only about 400 - 600 pounds higher.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok, i ohoned the scale in Valemount, (250-566-4311) i asked this guy wtf? i"m under my gawr, but over my gvwr. he told me as long as i'm not over my tire ratings, or gawr i'm ok. the gvwr according to him, is a rating put on by the manufacture that tells you anything under this weight your vehicle will never fall apart. so if my truck was bran new, even though i'm under gawr, but over gvwr, and somethiing broke, there's a chance dodge would deny me warranty if they can prove i was hauling something. then he told me, unless i look over weight, ( rear bumper dragging on the ground) i would not get stopped any way. so i"m good to go. i'm back to my original quote now, i'm under weight. i also asked him about the whole driving light issue, they have to be dot approved, covers do not have to be installed on the lights. all they are going to check is that the driving lights will not turn on unless your high beams are active. so currently my kc's hook directly to battery ( as it's a pre wired kit) with it's own switch. all i have to do, is tie off of the high beam wire so the lights can't turn on unless high beams are activated. hope this clear everything up for people. it did for me. tanks for all the feed back guys.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok, i ohoned the scale in Valemount, (250-566-4311) i asked this guy wtf? i"m under my gawr, but over my gvwr. he told me as long as i'm not over my tire ratings, or gawr i'm ok. the gvwr according to him, is a rating put on by the manufacture that tells you anything under this weight your vehicle will never fall apart. so if my truck was bran new, even though i'm under gawr, but over gvwr, and somethiing broke, there's a chance dodge would deny me warranty if they can prove i was hauling something. then he told me, unless i look over weight, ( rear bumper dragging on the ground) i would not get stopped any way. so i"m good to go. i'm back to my original quote now, i'm under weight. i also asked him about the whole driving light issue, they have to be dot approved, covers do not have to be installed on the lights. all they are going to check is that the driving lights will not turn on unless your high beams are active. so currently my kc's hook directly to battery ( as it's a pre wired kit) with it's own switch. all i have to do, is tie off of the high beam wire so the lights can't turn on unless high beams are activated. hope this clear everything up for people. it did for me. tanks for all the feed back guys.

interesting..................... however i ould bet ya if ya call back tomorrow and talk to a different guy you will get a different answer. they are baiting you lol you Cannot possibly make a 1/2 ton, extended cab of any kind legal with 2 sleds on the back. unless they are 120s and a plastic deck. 2 sleds on a halfer is to much thus the reason i am selling my deck, was going to move to a 1 ton but would be a pretty expensive upgrade just to haul my sleds, so decided on a 4 place trailer. it can be done yes, it is driveable yes, with air bags it doesn't even sag, but at the scale your nearly 1000 lbs over loaded on the rear axle or over your gvwr, which is what your frame/ suspension is designed to handle. quite often, nearly always the axle weighs are much higher than the gvwr as over the axle it can handle more weight, but the middle of the frame that twists and bends while driving down the road cannot handle more than the gvwr. i deal with this gvwr crap everyday it is what i do for a living 95% of all the units i build have a gvwr of 82-86 thousand pounds but the axles add up to over 100 000lbs. just cause the axle can take it does not mean the frame can. a 3/4 ton with 2 mountain sleds and aluminum deck is overweight so what makes you think a half ton is good to go.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are you refering to my post magnet? if so, not sure what you mean?
no i was referring to the post that i qouted there. not your original post. just find your numbers hard to believe i would try a different scale i think.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Three (or four) simple steps to see if you are legal in BC.

1. Look inside your door. Look for GVWR. This is what the DOT will be looking for.
2. Weigh your truck. If weight is greater than your GVWR, move on to step 3.
3. recieve overweight ticket, leave one sled on side of road, drop other sled off at hotel, pick up other sled, repeat until you are back in Alberta.
4. (optional) Come back to snow and mud and bitch about how ruthless the cops are in Valemount/Golden etc all while knowing full well you were overweight.

Buy a trailer.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First off speaking strictly dodge. The axle ratings on the door are a lot lower then the axle manufacture rates them. The rear axle on a 2500/3500 diesel from AAM is rated for over 10,000lbs. Second, a dodge 2500/3500 srw or dually have 9000, 9900, and 11000 IIRC gvw in the 3rd gen trucks. Now it's the same axle rating from AAM just a few different parts to accommodate the extra width. The 3500 srw only has overloads over a 2500. So, as long as its legal, there is zero issues with a 2500 being loaded to a 3500 drw gvw, as long as both are diesels with the same axles. The gvw on them isn't worth the paper it's wrote on.

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In bc they will go by the gvwr on the door sticker not tire ratings or axle ratings. In alberta they will go off of tire ratings, i know as i had a hotshot company and dealt with these issues almost daily it seemed like. Fyi a 2010 dodge 2500 hemi crew cab with two xp's full of fuel, crosstrax deck and truck full of fuel weighed in at 8245 lbs with only one passenger in the vehicle and no gear yet so if you have a diesel you will be heavier yet. My gvwr on the 2010 2500 crew gasser is 8800 lbs.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it totally doesn't make sense magnet. the gvwr on all the trucks even 1 ton single rear wheel have to low of a gvwr for the deck and sleds. i'm going to go by what i was told from the guy this morning. i am under on my tires and axles, made 4 trips to BC already with no issues, so i'll keep on trucking.

Top Bottom