weight of truck

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just thought i'd share some info incase anybody is wondering? i have a dodge ram 1500 mega cab 4X4. i have a marathon aluminum sled deck and haul two sleds on it. i wasn't sure if i was over weight or not for going into BC, so i weighed it at the flying j in sherwoodpark this weekend. the truck with gear for two guys, two guys weighing around 475 lbs combined, with an 07 xrs 159, and a '11 800 etech 146 my total weight was 4500 kg. when i got the weight per axle, iwas under on the front axle by 123 kg, and under by 512 kg on the rear. keep in mind though for those of you who don't know, the 1500 mega cab has the same chassis as the 2500, but a few difference like lighter/smaller brakes. a regualr 1500 would be over.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IIRC the 1500 mega cab only difference between a regular 2500 is the rear leafs are lighter. If your axle weights are under your fine, the gvw is not the concern.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
truck was full of gas, sleds full of gas and oil. one sled even had the jerry can full. one of my buddy's has a 2500 mega cab, and the leafs are identicle. both are 2006. same width, thickness, and same amount of leafs also. i run the air bags on ine also though to help out for the unexpected big bumps on the road, and for a better ride too.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just thought i'd share some info incase anybody is wondering? i have a dodge ram 1500 mega cab 4X4. i have a marathon aluminum sled deck and haul two sleds on it. i wasn't sure if i was over weight or not for going into BC, so i weighed it at the flying j in sherwoodpark this weekend. the truck with gear for two guys, two guys weighing around 475 lbs combined, with an 07 xrs 159, and a '11 800 etech 146 my total weight was 4500 kg. when i got the weight per axle, iwas under on the front axle by 123 kg, and under by 512 kg on the rear. keep in mind though for those of you who don't know, the 1500 mega cab has the same chassis as the 2500, but a few difference like lighter/smaller brakes. a regualr 1500 would be over.

that is very wierd as with my f150 super crew and my 05 summit 1000 162, and the wifes 04 summit 600 144, 4 adult size people in the cab total weight about 600 lbs. i am over by 500kgs on an aluminum deck, weighs 225lbs weight of the material in it, i weighed mine at whitecourt this weekend. and my overall weight is 3690 kgs. overall gvw is 3272 kgs.
what is your legal overall gvw?

i realize the 1000 is a heavy machine but not 1000lbs heavier.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IIRC the 1500 mega cab only difference between a regular 2500 is the rear leafs are lighter. If your axle weights are under your fine, the gvw is not the concern.

i read this staement and thought wtf then i seen who typed it totally makes sense now

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are you refering to my post magnet? if so, not sure what you mean?

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just curious what you truck gvwr is rated at. 4500kg would put you at 9900lbs which seems high. I thought the gvws on those were around 8800lbs. just wondering.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well now i'm confused again. what i was told was to go by the gawr not the gvwr. so i made a few calls tonight to try ang figure this out?? my trucks gvwr is 3861 kg, front gawr is 2359 kg, rear gawr is 2727 kg. my truck fully loaded with the sleds and everything else weighed in at 4500 kg even. i then did a seperate axle weight, crazy enough, both axles weighed 2250 kg evenly. so i am over on my gvwr, but under on my gawr ratings. i'm also under my tire rating. each is rated for 1340 kg, load range "E". so what i'm told is here in AB if i get stopped the dot or who ever is going to go by my tire rating and axle rating, in BC my total weight can not exceed any of the three ratings on my door. so i phoned the weigh scale in Sparwood BC as they were the only ones to answer the phone, and they told me i can not exceed any of the three either. i asked him whay the big difference in the gvwr to the gawr, he replied," i don't no sir". so that's fine, i can live with that. but now, when i look up the gvwr specs for other trucks, dodge, chev, ford, 2500, and 3500 series, none of them are rated above 4200 kg's. this is going by the manufacture year of 2006 keep in mind. but now i'm especially confused, how the hell can a 1 ton single rr wheel truck not be able to legally carry an aluminum sled deck, and two sleds down the damn highway? the only truck i could find to exceed the 4500 kg mark were long bed dual rear wheels.now is everybody else as confused as i am? or am i missing something here? i weighed everything seperate, deck= 238 lbs, 07 suumit = 537 lbs, 11 summit = 553 lbs. these are full of all fluids.it doesn't make sense that the only truck that can haul a deck and sleds is a 1 ton dually????

Last edited:

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and what i meant magnet was, what you said "then i seen who typed it, totally makes sense now" pretty sure i don't know you, so wondering why you're trashing me?? at least it sounds like you are.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and what i meant magnet was, what you said "then i seen who typed it, totally makes sense now" pretty sure i don't know you, so wondering why you're trashing me?? at least it sounds like you are.

He was quoting cyle. The site know it all. He was not trashing you at all. Just to clarify.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok, i'm new. wasn't trying to start anything, just was curious if he was, what for?? some sites are nothing but people trashing each other, was hoping this one wasn't. so can anyone de scramble my brain on this topic? it totally doesn't make sense. the web site i was using to get the specs form was auto123.com

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well now i'm confused again. what i was told was to go by the gawr not the gvwr. so i made a few calls tonight to try ang figure this out?? my trucks gvwr is 3861 kg, front gawr is 2359 kg, rear gawr is 2727 kg. my truck fully loaded with the sleds and everything else weighed in at 4500 kg even. i then did a seperate axle weight, crazy enough, both axles weighed 2250 kg evenly. so i am over on my gvwr, but under on my gawr ratings. i'm also under my tire rating. each is rated for 1340 kg, load range "E". so what i'm told is here in AB if i get stopped the dot or who ever is going to go by my tire rating and axle rating, in BC my total weight can not exceed any of the three ratings on my door. so i phoned the weigh scale in Sparwood BC as they were the only ones to answer the phone, and they told me i can not exceed any of the three either. i asked him whay the big difference in the gvwr to the gawr, he replied," i don't no sir". so that's fine, i can live with that. but now, when i look up the gvwr specs for other trucks, dodge, chev, ford, 2500, and 3500 series, none of them are rated above 4200 kg's. this is going by the manufacture year of 2006 keep in mind. but now i'm especially confused, how the hell can a 1 ton single rr wheel truck not be able to legally carry an aluminum sled deck, and two sleds down the damn highway? the only truck i could find to exceed the 4500 kg mark were long bed dual rear wheels.now is everybody else as confused as i am? or am i missing something here? i weighed everything seperate, deck= 238 lbs, 07 suumit = 537 lbs, 11 summit = 553 lbs. these are full of all fluids.it doesn't make sense that the only truck that can haul a deck and sleds is a 1 ton dually????

Your over GVWR your overweight period..... Axle ratings do not apply..... Your best bang for the buck starts at buying a 3500 or larger.. you wanna tow a lot legally, you gotta buy the toy that can....

On another note.... If your truck looks overweight, more likely to get pulled over.... I see you got airbags so carry on as usual..... just dont give them any reasons to pull over and investigate any further than "license and registration"....

Cheers

P.S. I got a 2004 F-250 6.0 diesel 4X4 Super-Cab Short-box... GVWR is 8800 (4000kg)... With full tank, one person and empty deck, (01 Marathon) truck weighed in at 7630lb (3468kg).. Leaving me with only 1170lb (532kg) left in my LEGAL GVWR.... YES I have the diesel and it took a lot away from my GVWR, but I can deal with that for having the power I have with the 6.0L...

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow, so even with your truck, you're pushing the legal limits with two sleds. crazy. and i plan on doing what you said, look legal, not over weighted. think maybe i'll chnge the 1500 logos to 2500 logos and hope for the best. thanks.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your over GVWR your overweight period..... Axle ratings do not apply..... Your best bang for the buck starts at buying a 3500 or larger.. you wanna tow a lot legally, you gotta buy the toy that can....

On another note.... If your truck looks overweight, more likely to get pulled over.... I see you got airbags so carry on as usual..... just dont give them any reasons to pull over and investigate any further than "license and registration"....

Cheers

P.S. I got a 2004 F-250 6.0 diesel 4X4 Super-Cab Short-box... GVWR is 8800 (4000kg)... With full tank, one person and empty deck, (01 Marathon) truck weighed in at 7630lb (3468kg).. Leaving me with only 1170lb (532kg) left in my LEGAL GVWR.... YES I have the diesel and it took a lot away from my GVWR, but I can deal with that for having the power I have with the 6.0L...

P.S.P.S.... Front axle 1970KG and rear 1500kg... Empty with Deck

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow, so even with your truck, you're pushing the legal limits with two sleds. crazy. and i plan on doing what you said, look legal, not over weighted. think maybe I'll change the 1500 logos to 2500 logos and hope for the best. thanks.

1500 looks a lot like 2500 at a blur.... I wouldn't change emblems, as IF you get pulled over and registration don't match logos, they KNOW your are hiding (enter new can of worms).... Just be level loaded and drive accordingly and you'll be fine....

With truck and deck I have around 1100 pounds left to load....

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good point. i just did some math here, my total weight loaded was 4500 kg, when i add my deck and sleds weight together they equal 603 kg combined. so subtract 603 kg from my weight of 4500 kg, that = 3897 kg. i'm still over by 36 kg with no deck or sleds as the sticker on the door says 3861 gvwr??? WTF???

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about your axles, are they 8 bolt? Do you have 10 ply tires? I'm not sure what they come equipped with. All I know is that the chassis (frame and body) is the same as the 2500.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
YEP, even with a 3/4 ton you are overloaded. Especially a diesel.
good point. i just did some math here, my total weight loaded was 4500 kg, when i add my deck and sleds weight together they equal 603 kg combined. so subtract 603 kg from my weight of 4500 kg, that = 3897 kg. i'm still over by 36 kg with no deck or sleds as the sticker on the door says 3861 gvwr??? WTF???

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Do you have aftermarket tires/rims?? What about susp lift? I know from d to e rated tires, the e- reated tires weigh in 20-30 pounds more.....

Any accessorie that did not come with BASE MODEL truck takes away from GVWR... I think the mega-cab would make that cab frame combo close already, and with a few add ons (bumpers, slip tank etc) it all disappears fast!!!

Top Bottom