1/2 ton trucks and 4 place trailers

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fawk had a cat m8 in my box and two pro 800s on a 8x10 tailer and was getting 10mpg with my 2010 ram 1500.... Sure a diesel is more money but your buy a more expensive truck and more re sale not just blowing it out your tail pipe.

I burnt twice as much fuel as a duramax same trip pulling a 4 place enclosed.

So I'm going to shoot some holes in these theories......

My buddies dirtymax burns just about much fuel as my 1/2 ton (mainly due to HOW he drives it....but still :)), and burning more expensive fuel at that.

if people would drive sensibly and don't try the "drive it like I normally drive it" approach when they have 6,000 lbs behind them, passing on corners, highballing downhills at mach chicken etc., a half ton is often suitable so long as they drive with respect for the load they are towing. They are rated by manufacturers and govt safety bodies to tow that weight, but don't expect to be able to drive it like you normally do. Lots don't, so its not a surprise to see guys saying their trucks don't stop as quick with a full load, I'm pretty sure any professional trucker will tell you that's exactly whats supposed to happen......Leave 15 mins earlier in your 1/2 ton and you will arrive there at the same time as the guy in the 3/4 ton who drove faster.

For anything being heavy enough to require a 3/4+ ton for hauling - The trailer brakes on the TRAILER should be stopping it, not the truck anyway. If you are hauling 5,000+ lbs (hell even 3,000 lbs) with no trailer brakes, you are a fool IMO. The trailer brakes should be controlling the trailer payload regardless of what truck is towing it.

Would it be nice if we all had 1 tons just for sledding? Sure I guess, but lots of the guys doing paper math here are forgetting that just because a diesel can tow more doesn't mean its any safer. Bigger brakes you say? Most 1/2 tons are equipped with 4 wheel discs now and most guys are forgetting that the added weight of the engine, tranny, axles in a 3/4 ton weigh significantly more. Don't believe me? do some research and you will find that unloaded stopping distances are pretty well the same for 3/4+ vs 1/2 ton. I even linked a couple studies for you. Physics is physics and the bigger the mass in motion, the more energy required to stop it. The overall mass changes with a bigger truck, which can help in certain situations when towing, but doesn't necessarily mean it will.

2010 HD Brake Tests - PickupTrucks.com Special Reports
2013 Light-Duty Challenge: Results - PickupTrucks.com Special Reports

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if people would drive sensibly and don't try the "drive it like I normally drive it" approach when they have 6,000 lbs behind them, passing on corners, highballing downhills at mach chicken etc., a half ton is often suitable so long as they drive with respect for the load they are towing

Amen to that... last year I pulled my 28' enclosed to Golden with a 1ton 6.0 liter and decided I was going to drive the way I normally do with my diesel (120km/hr with cruise set on good roads) from Calgary into a strong head wind. I ended up having to stop for gas in Lake Louise because I was under a 1/4 tank by the point. I toned it back after that!

Dustine

Reaction score
I have a 2002 f 150 I pulled my 26ft camper loaded with water and my ATV in the box it pulled hard the 5.4L had its hands full would shift into 2 gear on some small hills . I got 5 to 7 mpg driving the 100km and have loaded my car trailer with 13500lbs and it did not pull that much harder or use much more fuel but the truck did want to sway a little more. Have never took any real load through BC in winter. Have had some crap roads through jasper and that sucks no matter what you are driving The proper ride height and where the weight is can make a huge difference on how the truck takes bumps and sways. You could pull a small light trailer that is not loaded right and feel like you are going to sway off the road the hole trip. As for 1/2 with decks if you have some kind of overload air bags helper springs or rubber bump stops they handle them just fine. Dodge diesel chipped 30ft I closed trailer last trip to BC 5 sleds one a nytro so 5 1/2 sleds I can say that because it was mine 4 people 120km almost all 2 lane 10mpg. Going to see how the 2013 chev diesel does next weeks trip to Mc bride

Top Bottom