F150 Heavy Duty Payload Capabilities

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great.

Hope the getting pulled over in a half ton al the time, doesn't cut into you're riding hours.

Report back in 2 seasons. I would like to see if you still have the truck.

Well...it's been just over two years, I still have the truck and have never been pulled over.

Works great hauling two sleds and my small ski boat.

Only complaint is Ford seems to think people want cold AC air blowing on their feet all the time...even when the settings are for dash vents only. No matter the vent setting, it always blows a certain amount of cold air at your feet...on Max AC it freezes your feet. It Sucks...well actually it blows.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How would I get the specs for my truck? (13 fx4 screw lwb 5.0). Fords website just shows the 15 specs

Also +1 for the thread fernie!

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A 150 is for getting groceries, not a real truck. I believe the payload is the same as the model number? Get a diesel 3500. :)

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can strip down a 1/2 ton including installing a V6 to maximize the pay load then add trailer tow etc. Yes it will do the job at max GVW if you take it easy. If you want to bag run it to the mountains over frost heaves every weekend its going to break not to mention it will handle like a peace of crap due to frame flex. It would be nice to take it easy its better for every rig unfortunately it doesn't usually work that way. Good Luck with your F 150 hope it works out for you my advice is take it easy.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How would I get the specs for my truck? (13 fx4 screw lwb 5.0). Fords website just shows the 15 specs

Also +1 for the thread fernie!

Thanks for the thanks.

The spec ratings are located on the inside of the drivers door by the latch. When I bought the truck I found some official Ford payload info on the web but I'm not sure where. A quick Google search for the 2013 did not turn up anything but a towing guide...gotta be something out there.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A 150 is for getting groceries, not a real truck. I believe the payload is the same as the model number? Get a diesel 3500. :)

I've got friends with diesels...we use them for the 4 place trailer. My HD 150 grocery getter is plenty enough for hauling my tools, boat and sled. Only diesel I've owned was a 2005 VW TDI Golf, loved the torque, I was able to easily pull Kootenay pass in top gear at 130 KPH...people be like...that's an economy car?

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got friends with diesels...we use them for the 4 place trailer. My HD 150 grocery getter is plenty enough for hauling my tools, boat and sled. Only diesel I've owned was a 2005 VW TDI Golf, loved the torque, I was able to easily pull Kootenay pass in top gear at 130 KPH...people be like...that's an economy car?

I was just messing with you, everything has it's place, even a F150.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I guess the answer is, yes with those numbers provided you'll be over weight with a normal redneck crewcab full load 1/2 ton with a sled deck on it.
Regular cab truck is not common these days.

Thanks for posting the numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spuds

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well...it's been just over two years, I still have the truck and have never been pulled over.

Works great hauling two sleds and my small ski boat.

Only complaint is Ford seems to think people want cold AC air blowing on their feet all the time...even when the settings are for dash vents only. No matter the vent setting, it always blows a certain amount of cold air at your feet...on Max AC it freezes your feet. It Sucks...well actually it blows.
excellent post; how did you find the seal between the truck and deck, any snow or dust get in?

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
excellent post; how did you find the seal between the truck and deck, any snow or dust get in?

A little bit of snow and a moderate amount of dust would come in around the tailgate. I applied some additional foam seal around the tail gate and there is almost no dust intrusion now. Works great. I also bought a lock kit for the tailgate and tied in to the power door locks...tailgate now locks and un-locks with the key fob, great mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where did you get the lock kit ?

It's been two years...can't remember the name. Some truck outfitter in Calgary on Blackfoot just north of Glenmore. Lots of online sellers. The truck already had a lockable handle, the kit was for the solenoid activator and the wiring harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea mine has the key lock as well. No issues with it sticking in the winter?

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea mine has the key lock as well. No issues with it sticking in the winter?

Had to take the access panel off once and spray the mechanism down with silicon...took a couple of minutes. Love the power lock, but it sucks when you stop your truck and leave the engine running and get out to get something out of the back of the truck and find its locked...don't do that much anymore :eek:

spuds

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put a computec aftermarket remote start on my 03, and the keyfob has a separate trunk lock that can be tied into the truck if mine had such a beast
but that Is a really great idea, I've been looking for a tool box system that I can park my sled on top of

Top Bottom