Weight disribution hitch or sway bars

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 3500 ram single wheel diesel longbox with extra leafs and airbags. I just bought a 27' holiday trailer with a gvwr of 6800 lbs. Do i need sway bars or a weight distribution hitch? I have towed enclosed sled trailers with just a normal ball and don't recall seeing others with sway bars. I towed it from Red Deer to Edmonton with no problems.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have towed with and without and while most will say you need a weight distributing hitch your Diesel should easely manhandle a trailer of that size without the sway bars.Try towing it first without.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I towed it 150 km at 100-120 per hour with no problems i am just curious what the law is.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No law. It will tow easier with the stabilizer bar but not required. I am actually picking up one for my enclosed trailer. Towed in heavy wind and wish I had one then. Without the wind the trailer doesnt move around much.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The weight distribution hitch and bars moves weight back to your front axle that is taken away by the trailer pushing down on the back being a diesel and a lighter weight trailer you probably do not have to worry
After loading up your trail with water and all your gear you may want to have sway bars if it takes away hitch weight which makes the trailer want to move around sideways
i have not seen very many units hooked up that actually have sway bars installed most people only run the weight distribution hitch and bars

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 3500 ram single wheel diesel longbox with extra leafs and airbags. I just bought a 27' holiday trailer with a gvwr of 6800 lbs. Do i need sway bars or a weight distribution hitch? I have towed enclosed sled trailers with just a normal ball and don't recall seeing others with sway bars. I towed it from Red Deer to Edmonton with no problems.

you have extra leafs and airbags? the extra leafs are not needed with airbags

i pull an ultra lightweight (7000 lbs) trailer but its a big box so the wind throws it around very easy. the stabilizer hitch works great, all it is is cams bolted to the trailer and the weight dsitribution bars sit ontop of them they lock in when at high speeds, they "pop" out when making slow turns.

i haul the trailer with 2 quads on the back of the truck so i wanted everything as stable as possible

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought it with this set up. The previous owner had a big camper so he did the extra leaf and then the air bags. I wish it didn't have the extra leaf because she sure rides ROUGH.

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have a 27ft and run sway bars it helps take the weight off lifts the truck up somewhat but idk if they are needed

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have a 27ft and run sway bars it helps take the weight off lifts the truck up somewhat but idk if they are needed

hitch2.gif hitch.jpg

sway bars do not lift your truck up those bars are part the weight distrubtion hitch pick on top is a weight distrubtion hitch with sway control pic on bottom is just a weight distrubtion hitch

Last edited:

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do those sway control friction bars actually work? Bought one 2 years ago for my enclosed but never got around to bolting it on. Might do it though if it will actually help and I can quit shitting my pants every time the wind grabs the trailer.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do those sway control friction bars actually work? Bought one 2 years ago for my enclosed but never got around to bolting it on. Might do it though if it will actually help and I can quit shitting my pants every time the wind grabs the trailer.

I have both on my trailer, I would never go without! For the 140$ why not it straightens the trailer right out. I just leave mine lose till I need it a couple turns and ya never look back!

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have both on my trailer, I would never go without! For the 140$ why not it straightens the trailer right out. I just leave mine lose till I need it a couple turns and ya never look back!
So what about turning corners then. One guy said you have to loosen it every time you go right or left, true or false?

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what about turning corners then. One guy said you have to loosen it every time you go right or left, true or false?

no they just pop out of position, they do make a bang sound so you will have to get used to that

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ride of my truck I way better when I use the distribution bars. I hate not using them, my 3500 easily takes the hitch weight but the truck porpoise's too much on the bumps. I've never felt the need for a sway bar but my trailer is only 22ft and weight about 7000lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have pulled my trailer with and without the distribution bars and honestly would never pull without them again. Trailer is about 5400lbs fully loaded and without those bars even the slightest breeze is a pain in the ass. I also only have a half ton so the steering becomes pretty light without them

Griz-L-Bar

Reaction score
Ya man you got lots of spring. But the stabilzer would def, recomend(2nd pic). And later if u still need side to side control the sway bar can be added on(1st pic). pics from previous post.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just for info another option is Equal-i-zer setup. Combines weight distribution and friction sway control functions in one package. Pros works great, simple. Cons not cheap, initial setup takes some time, moving between different trailers & tow vehicles requires initial setup each time. Edit: I have this setup - any questions let me know.

main-page-image.jpg

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what I tow mine with and it makes the tow very nice. I towed a 8500lbs TT from N. Dakota to Edmonton through a wind storm last spring, I think without the Equal-i-zer it would of been a lot more exciting. I tow with a 2500 with air bags.

Just for info another option is Equal-i-zer setup. Combines weight distribution and friction sway control functions in one package. Pros works great, simple. Cons not cheap, initial setup takes some time, moving between different trailers & tow vehicles requires initial setup each time. Edit: I have this setup - any questions let me know.

View attachment 131426

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com

When backing into tight stalls I will remove the bars, just makes is easier and less stress on the hitch.

This very similar to the one I have with no issues at all. Mind you the dually foot print helps alot with sway also. Btw, my trailer is 31'. I've pulled it without the sway bars with not much difference. Mind you our trailer is loaded up for 6 people and weight distribution is also a factor. The bulk of the weight is over the axles for better ground pressure to help eliminate sway. That's how I do it :twocents: :beer:

Attachments

• hitch.jpg
    hitch.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Quads loaded.jpg
    Quads loaded.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 111
Top Bottom