New toy hauler sway

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it's nose high, and ass down...... it will sway.

If it's nose down and ass high...... it will eat fuel.

Doesn't matter if it's a fifth or bumper!

Equalizer bars, help equal the weight between the axles and will not do anything for sway.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Mine sits almost perfectly level.
If it's nose high, and ass down...... it will sway.

If it's nose down and ass high...... it will eat fuel.

Doesn't matter if it's a fifth or bumper!

Equalizer bars, help equal the weight between the axles and will not do anything for sway.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are you towing with. I have a 2006 Canadian sport. It's been behind lifted ford short boxes. Ford Duallys. Then I bought a dodge dually and it was all over the road. as most dodge guys do I did air bags and that fixed it. Now I have a new Denali dual wheel and no bags. Straight as a arrow again

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Try loading a couple thousand pounds in the back and nothing in the front.It will sway!

No chit.....

Sorry...... I guess I should elaborate a little more on this.

Having all the weight in the ass, is the same a as being nose high. And yes it will walk on you. Unfortunately most toy haulers do not have the axles far enough forward to compensate for the extra weight in the ass. This is why they will sway.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Proper weight distribution..... Move all the twisted tea and beer near the fulcrum point of the trailer , not in the back or front ;)

Or buy a dually and don't ever worry about what's behind ya again, 44 feet and don't even notice mine is back there

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Mine sits almost perfectly level.

Drop a bolt hole and try it I had a wiggle problem with my old truck would sit dead level and it would wiggle till I put the quad in the box then it rode awesome. switched receiver to the new truck same problem because this truck was higher same problem so I was at the campground dropped a bolt hole and it has been good since

any1butjj

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got to be the worst feeling ever - was heading down highway 22 south with my 3/4 ton Ford and a 28' bumper pull toy hauler, passed a guy and at about 110 it went on a bender - scary stuff and lucky to escape without crashing. bought a Dodge 1 ton dually and no more problems. They say you should not try to chase it by steering, just keep the steering wheel straight and apply the trailer brakes.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Newer Fords have built in trailer sway control. Don't touch it just let the truck take care of it

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so i finally have a night off so i pinned on again still loaded with the rzr in the back and set the hitch exactly as per the instruction video, i just just say that was a bad idea no weight on the truck. so pulled over and took weight off the chains and now i was back to the trailer doing the driving, back end of the trailer all over the road. i even tried turning the rzr around and loading it backwards so the engine was more forward. i think the next step is do do as mentioned and lower the hitch one bolt, right now i am about 2 inches low in the front.

i realy hope i cam figure this out may long is on its way, and i ain't staying home.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so i finally have a night off so i pinned on again still loaded with the rzr in the back and set the hitch exactly as per the instruction video, i just just say that was a bad idea no weight on the truck. so pulled over and took weight off the chains and now i was back to the trailer doing the driving, back end of the trailer all over the road. i even tried turning the rzr around and loading it backwards so the engine was more forward. i think the next step is do do as mentioned and lower the hitch one bolt, right now i am about 2 inches low in the front.

i realy hope i cam figure this out may long is on its way, and i ain't staying home.
how big are your water tanks? if they are ahead of the trailer axles, fill it full and try it. makes a difference on my fifth wheel ride with my tanks full as opposed to empty with the SXS in the garage

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Also how fast are you driving.If I run around 90km mine will never sway.
how big are your water tanks? if they are ahead of the trailer axles, fill it full and try it. makes a difference on my fifth wheel ride with my tanks full as opposed to empty with the SXS in the garage

Top Bottom