weight distribution hitch

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at getting a small travel trailer, while looking at weight distribution hitches i keep stumbling across these ones that are all chains and no bars.. I really cannot see how well these work just by using chain compared to the normal style bars.. Are these even worth looking at?

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
You get what you pay for, peeps are always looking for an alternative cheaper solution for everything.

I have one with the bars here that I am going to put up for sale for a friend that's going through divorce. Exc shape, good unit.

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Anderson style with the chains on my 4 place enclosed trailer. I would not purchase this style again. The old school heavy duty style with the bars is what I would go with. My trailer loaded is pretty heavy though.
The Anderson style the ball pivots in the assembly. Had to get one replaced, was warranty. The adjustment nuts on the chain tension adjusters will rust up so you can not turn them unless you keep them lubricated regularly. Just my opinion on it.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have used an old style Reese dual cam and a newer style Reese dual cam. It is a good system. Have seen some of the castings break under big loads or backing up too tight a turn. Ran the Andersen for a while. Liked it quite a bit. Great weight distribution and smooth across road surfaces. Little effect from side wind. Found it to be weight sensitive if the trailer is on the heavier side. I recommend it for anyone that has a fully loaded trailer with a tongue weight no more than 800Lbs. Did not have any corrosion issues like mentioned above, but only used it in summer.

Been running the Equal-i-zer hitch system for a few years now. By far my favourite! Easy to hook up. Excellent weight distribution, no sway and can back up without unhooking or any other issues. Not to mention no snap up bar to spring back at you....massive bruise on my inner thigh lasted for months! Ripped up a good pair of shorts too. Lol Guess that's why Equal-i-zer hithches are RV Magazines readers choice for over a decade. There are several similar systems now available by other manufacturers.

Too me a lot of the decision on what to hitch system to use has to to do with the trailer size, weight (FULLY loaded) and tow vehicle. Our trailer fully loaded for our long holiday can be quite heavy. With the Eqaul-i-zer, one ton truck and proper loading it's a pleasant tow...and that makes for a happy husband/Dad, happy family and good vacation!

Just my .02 cents...

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not overly concerned about price at this point just want something that is going to be good. Its not going to be a huge travel trailer as it has to switch between my truck and the GF's SUV So in the long run i may be buying 2 heads for it so things are set up properly for both veh.. Just cannot picture in my head how the Anderson helps with weight distribution.

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Anderson works good for sway and a little weight distribution, I’ve got around 1000# tongue weight and it will send 150# to the front axle. Without the chains on my front end will rise 2” with the chains on I can get it back to within 1/2”. It worked really good on my f350 with my 33’ camper. On my f150 it would be a nice if it transferred a little more weight but the truck rides level and the hitch keeps the trailer straight in 30-40 k side winds and that’s all I really care about.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Anderson style with the chains on my 4 place enclosed trailer. I would not purchase this style again. The old school heavy duty style with the bars is what I would go with. My trailer loaded is pretty heavy though.
The Anderson style the ball pivots in the assembly. Had to get one replaced, was warranty. The adjustment nuts on the chain tension adjusters will rust up so you can not turn them unless you keep them lubricated regularly. Just my opinion on it.
Ya I had that anderson chain and rubber bushing one too, was a weird set up that didn’t really Work great imo.

Top Bottom