weight distribution hitch

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a round bar distribution hitch and i replaced the frame mount chain hangers as the ones that came with the hitch were broken.. The issue im having is the new hangers are 4" wide and they are interfering with the battery location. I have been trying to find the narrower 2" ones that used to come with the hitches and they seem to be hard to find and when you do they are over $100 a pc. For that price i would be better off trying to find another used hitch with the mounts im looking for. Any ideas where i could find the narrow ones for a decent price..

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
try a used rv dealer should have a few laying around
nothing like that around here
Can you cut them narrower and reweld them?
i contemplated that but after looking closely at them i would loose to much structure out of them by the time i cut them and reweld and brace.. not sure why all the manufacturer's changed even the guy i purchased them of said they would not work with his new travel trailer.. i guess they want you to upgrade to the newer style systems

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ended up finding a complete setup lower weight rating than mine but the chain brackets are all the same anyway for cheaper than i could buy one bracket. 1 bracket has a slight bend to it looks like someone cranked down the pinch bolt to much. Going to straiten it and then use some self taping bolts in the bottom of the plate.. Take the old brackets and put them with the kit i got and sell it for what i paid for it.. Now i just have to find the fine thread self taping bolts that usually come in the kits.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried shortening their bars? I finally figured out why I'm having issues with mounting location of the brackets. The previous owners system was 1 3/4 inch shorter from where they had the brackets mounted. I was thinking of just redrilling for the u bolts that hold the chain. I'll still be in the flat area of the round bar and I can't see it making that much of a diffrence? Just replaced the dual group 31 batteries someone had put on it and put the dual 6v and boxes back into the stock location don't want to have to figure out how to get everything to work...

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well all else fails get a new system... after lots of contemplating i figured it would take me forever to drill through hardened steel bars. Gave up on the idea and went a nd purchased a new Reese strait bar set up lots of adjustment to put the mounts were i need them. Already sold one of my hitches for a few $$ more than i paid for them so i should be able to recoup the cost of the original purchases..

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried shortening their bars? I finally figured out why I'm having issues with mounting location of the brackets. The previous owners system was 1 3/4 inch shorter from where they had the brackets mounted. I was thinking of just redrilling for the u bolts that hold the chain. I'll still be in the flat area of the round bar and I can't see it making that much of a diffrence? Just replaced the dual group 31 batteries someone had put on it and put the dual 6v and boxes back into the stock location don't want to have to figure out how to get everything to work...
The problem with drilling and cutting the bars is that they are a spring steel. Drilling them is difficult and welding them will snap. The reason why they are spring steel is because of the flex they have to go through going down the road.

Top Bottom