Avy Vests (or bags)

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't seem like we've argued about these in a while. What's the best these days?

I currently run a Snowpulse Highmark 22 bag that I picked up used 6 years ago. I really like the bag design, and how it cradles your head. But, I'm getting older and the weight on my shoulders all day is getting old, so I am looking for something modern, more comfortable, and lighter.

I am stuck between the Snowpulse Highmark Spire 3.0 PAS vest, or the Klim Aspect 16 bag. They are both somewhat vest style, and both almost the same dry weight.

Pros of the Snowpulse:
-Armour Plates available (can possibly ditch my chest protector).
-Larger vest to better distribute weight
-Trauma protection bag design
-Slightly more space
-Pockets on the vest

Pros of the Klim:
Electronic bag system (can re-pack and redeploy

Anyone with the spire, do you feel the vest and plates provide protection comparable to a chest protector? I wear an EVS Revo 4 currently.

revo-4-under-protector-black-rv4-bk-s-m-2021-122304.jpg

Everyone else, what bag would you choose, not limited to these two, and why?

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
I am a big fan of the e2 system over any cannister, and I think you might be comparing just the pack of snowpulse to the entire system of the e2, cannisters are a ppain unless you have two and your own filling system, which is pretty easy to do. Also having worked with air bags for over 15 years, abs still has the strongest airbag in the world, we drove over it with an f-350 and it is, was never designed to prevent trauma, that is a pipe dream many of still hanging on to. Also ride around or ski around with a system that engulfs you head compared to one that does not, if deplyed you still may have to ride or ski out and visability is very important. One advantage I love on the e2 system is you can deploy it all the time and there is really no wear. The night before a weekend in the hotel or at home, and with the batteries you can accidentally blow it off, reset the bag an in 18-25 minutes it will be fully charged again. But really it comes down to what fits you and is comfortable for the day. BCA has a e2 system now that is bigger and with klim you have two choices. I use both in the klim but the best for me for sledding is the 16 litre as light as possible.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snowpulse vest are nice. Im on my second one. I just got the charger this year, and its really comfortable. A guy just needs to remember to cinch up the side straps. I'm not a fan of the way BCA feels. They dont fit me as good as snow pulse.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am a big fan of the e2 system over any cannister, and I think you might be comparing just the pack of snowpulse to the entire system of the e2, cannisters are a ppain unless you have two and your own filling system, which is pretty easy to do. Also having worked with air bags for over 15 years, abs still has the strongest airbag in the world, we drove over it with an f-350 and it is, was never designed to prevent trauma, that is a pipe dream many of still hanging on to. Also ride around or ski around with a system that engulfs you head compared to one that does not, if deplyed you still may have to ride or ski out and visability is very important. One advantage I love on the e2 system is you can deploy it all the time and there is really no wear. The night before a weekend in the hotel or at home, and with the batteries you can accidentally blow it off, reset the bag an in 18-25 minutes it will be fully charged again. But really it comes down to what fits you and is comfortable for the day. BCA has a e2 system now that is bigger and with klim you have two choices. I use both in the klim but the best for me for sledding is the 16 litre as light as possible.
I definitely see the advantages to the E2 system. My wife is also a Klim ambassador, so I've been able to check both bags out. I'm not a fan of many aspects of the Atlas 26, but the Aspect 16 seems to address all of the issues I have with the Atlas.

As for weight, the Klim Aspect 16 weighs in at 6.59lbs, and the new highmark spire is supposedly 6.65lbs with cylinder (I haven't put this on a scale personally to verify though).

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snowpulse vest are nice. Im on my second one. I just got the charger this year, and its really comfortable. A guy just needs to remember to cinch up the side straps. I'm not a fan of the way BCA feels. They dont fit me as good as snow pulse.
A couple of the guys in our group have the charger, and I can't get over how you donn and doff the vest. I feel like it would very much negatively impact response times when trying to get to my shovel and probes. Maybe with practice this would improve though.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It definitely feels award at first. I didnt like either, but its fine now. I don't like the buckle on the spire, that's why I chose the charger. I miss the pockets in my old snowpulse vest that's discontinued.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mark the calendar... This may be one of the few times I completely agree with what you have to say...

Any pack manufacturer that still claims "trama" protection is a straight up lie!
Keeping you on or near the top of the snow is the only purpose of an avy pack. That little bubble gum balloon wrapped around your head isn't going to protect squat if you have a mountain of snow push you into the trees or rocks. THEN... if you have deployed it, and need to perform rescue operations, try doing it with that thing wrapped around your head cutting off your vision.

Small..
Light...
And carry only the essentials on your back...

I'm liking the Alpride E2 system... just not there yet with any of the pack manufacturers that use it. Need to locate and check out the latest Scott pack..?

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mark the calendar... This may be one of the few times I completely agree with what you have to say...

Any pack manufacturer that still claims "trama" protection is a straight up lie!
Keeping you on or near the top of the snow is the only purpose of an avy pack. That little bubble gum balloon wrapped around your head isn't going to protect squat if you have a mountain of snow push you into the trees or rocks. THEN... if you have deployed it, and need to perform rescue operations, try doing it with that thing wrapped around your head cutting off your vision.

Small..
Light...
And carry only the essentials on your back...

I'm liking the Alpride E2 system... just not there yet with any of the pack manufacturers that use it. Need to locate and check out the latest Scott pack..?
What do you dislike about the current bags utilizing the E2 system?

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too heavy
Are there any bags in the market that are significantly lighter? My limited research shows that the Klim Aspect 16 is at most 1.5lbs heavier than any compressed air cylinder bags I have looked at.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Too heavy
The issue with weight is you can make it light but then it is like a ba like abs was, but they have only a few pockets etc, the more pockets, zips, tough abrasion for sledding etc the more the weight. I was blown away that they got the e2 aspect lighter, feels like nothing, I have a hard time beleiving they could get much lighter. I am sure they will but I mean with current tech and I think a way to lose weight would be to lose reliability or strength.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
Question for the experts in the thread. I just picked up a BCA E2 Turbo. One ride with it. Wanted the klim but no stock any where. Any who, my last bag was a Jetforce. I like the lighter E2 but I sure do miss being able to turn it on and have the indicator lights on the handle. Having to unpack the bag to fiddle with that little switch sucks. And the light should blink twice as often. Maybe I'm to impatient but waiting for that green light I find myself thinking "is this f---ing thing even on?". And I fully charged it but I lost a bar of charge in the batteries by the next day? I'm guessing I'll have to put the batteries in and take them out before and after every ride to stop them from discharging to the capacitor?

That being said I do like being able to practice and test the bags. Canisters are a pia.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an older snowpulse vest, it’s heavy but functional I like it. If was buying another not sure what to say, my riding pal has an abs regular canister backpack that’s really light.

Last fall from spending some time surfing reviews on newer av packs would seem weights published might be BS for some of the manufacturers, (not like the sled industry world would falsely advertise weights lol).

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an older snowpulse vest, it’s heavy but functional I like it. If was buying another not sure what to say, my riding pal has an abs regular backpack that’s really light.
Probably the vest version of my current bag? Looks like it's been around for a while.

This is what I have now. Weighs 8lbs dry, which isn't as much heavier than the new bags as I thought.

I also pack another 10lbs of gear give or take.

20230103_183403.jpg

20230103_183159.jpg

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Question for the experts in the thread. I just picked up a BCA E2 Turbo. One ride with it. Wanted the klim but no stock any where. Any who, my last bag was a Jetforce. I like the lighter E2 but I sure do miss being able to turn it on and have the indicator lights on the handle. Having to unpack the bag to fiddle with that little switch sucks. And the light should blink twice as often. Maybe I'm to impatient but waiting for that green light I find myself thinking "is this f---ing thing even on?". And I fully charged it but I lost a bar of charge in the batteries by the next day? I'm guessing I'll have to put the batteries in and take them out before and after every ride to stop them from discharging to the capacitor?

That being said I do like being able to practice and test the bags. Canisters are a pia.
install batteries, they don't drain unless the bag is on and needs a charge up, so they can last a month. and no charging at night....i use to charge mine via the cable but now i just leave the batteries to do the work, i always have a spare set of double aa in case i arrive to ride and its on yellow which would mean batteries are done, put them in and buy the time you arrive to riding area on sled your good.

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had the spire 3.0 for 4 years now and love it. Also added the chest plates into the dedicated pockets.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom