Tandem Tow setup

Irocaz

Reaction score
For those of you that tandem tow a 5th wheel and quad trailer/ boat, what have you found to be the best setup?

I pull a 28' fth wheel and a 14' single axle aluminum ATV Trailer normally with 2quads + bike or 3 quads. I find I get a chugging feel at times and over big bumps In the road the ATV trailer will bounce and then start a slight sway. I currently do have a friction plate style sway bar. I've been looking into the Mor Ryde pin box for the 5th wheel and a Anderson weight distribution/ sway control setup for the ATV Trailer. Upgrading the brakes on the 5th wheel or adding a set to the quad trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_09861.jpg
    IMG_09861.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 447

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I b train quite often. Every once and a while I can tell there is another trailer on there or slight chugging. I don't get any swaying. I had my dad fallow me for two hours on highway and said it was straight as an arrow.

I use no sway bars or hitch attachments. Both my boat and sled trailer don't have brakes ether. My boat and sled trailer have (guessing ) 100 lbs hitch weight. I can lift the hitch on to hook up.....

Maybe try adjusting your load on the sled trailer for hitch weight and maybe try using a lower hitch for the back trailer as well so the front of the trailer is flat or tilting slightly forward. I also always run my truck and both trailers tires at max psi. If that makes a difference in bouncing.....

Last edited:

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could be just the picture but it looks like neither the 5th or the ATV trailer are level. Consider flipping the axles on your 5th to get it to pull level and then adjusting the towing trailer down so it too is level. I did some adjusting on mine and was surprized at the difference a 1 inch adjustment at the hitch made and I pull with a 1 ton dually. I don't tandem anymore as I am too long but never had an issue with a 26 foot Dutchmen pulling a 16 foot boat behind a 1/2 ton GMC. Everything was very level though... Good luck

For those of you that tandem tow a 5th wheel and quad trailer/ boat, what have you found to be the best setup?

I pull a 28' fth wheel and a 14' single axle aluminum ATV Trailer normally with 2quads + bike or 3 quads. I find I get a chugging feel at times and over big bumps In the road the ATV trailer will bounce and then start a slight sway. I currently do have a friction plate style sway bar. I've been looking into the Mor Ryde pin box for the 5th wheel and a Anderson weight distribution/ sway control setup for the ATV Trailer. Upgrading the brakes on the 5th wheel or adding a set to the quad trailer.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This is my last years set up. Truck got written off. This year i bought a 2015 f350 diesel , lifted the rv with 3 inch spacer blocks.

Last edited:

Irocaz

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. You are right the 5th wheel and quad trailer both sit alittle high in the front. The dodge sits pretty high in the back and sits maybe a inch lower with the weight of the pin. The pin box is set at the highest setting, axles on the 5th are already on the bottom side of the springs from factory but maybe I can get a 1 or 2" block.

Irocaz

Reaction score
here is another photo from a different trip. I had actually tried a weight distribution setup I had, it did help but the bars are rated to high but were set on only a couple links.

Attachments

• IMG_1028.JPG
    IMG_1028.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 403

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
ya i think i would try to bring the front of your quad trailer down a few inches. I think it would be better tipped forward vs backwards...... and making sure you have decent hitch weight on it.(looks like it does). I don't think your 5th wheel sits any worse for angle then mine did. But ya i would try that first as blocking the axles would take more work. Just finished doing that three weeks ago. I have 8 feet left of 3 x 2 buy a 1/4inch think if you want to go three inches up on your trailer if you end up lifting that as well... I used it for blocks between spring and axle and bought longer u bolts. This was Not recommended to do buy some places. Proper way they say is to cut hungers off frame. Build sub frame on trailer the height needed then weld new hangers back on to sub frame. Lot more work that way...

Last edited:

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Must be huge difference pulling that with a 1/2 ton and now going to 1 ton..

I havn't B trained yet with the 1 ton yet. Only towed the 5th wheel once with the 3 inch lift on 5th wheel to the Badger lake fishing durby.. The one ton is a treat to drive and the power as well. 55k cross wind didnt even take it out of 6th gear.
The 1/2 ton worked hard forsure. I worked it like a 1 ton. It towed great on a calm day but any head wind you couldnt get it to stop shifting and sitting near the redline. Pretty sure its sitting around 11,000 lbs with the boat behind it.

I did get lots of Questions at gas stations or camp grounds saying a half ton will pull that LOL

Last edited:

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you pulled the Atv alone with the truck and does it sway? If it does not sway then it will not sway behind the trailer. Ay chance you are taking to much tongue weight off the 5th with the trailer attached? Also I agree lower the front of both trailers.

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best to pull with he nose of the trailer(s) slightly high. The proper hitch weight is very important (about 15%). I had this set up for years. The best thing I did was change the quad trailer from a single axle to a tandem - stopped all sway behind the fifth.

catman1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother has a very similar set up, his advice is strap down the quads extra good and don't look at that trailer in the tow mirros!!!!!! Hammerdown

Irocaz

Reaction score
Have you pulled the Atv alone with the truck and does it sway? If it does not sway then it will not sway behind the trailer. Ay chance you are taking to much tongue weight off the 5th with the trailer attached? Also I agree lower the front of both trailers.

yeah we have pulled the trailer itself and it seems to tow quite nice. I am worried I may be taking weight off the front of the 5th wheel. It seems there is a bit of vertical bounce in the truck and 5th wheel over bumps and kicks the rear of the 5th wheel up a bit and then the ATV trailer starts its swaying motion

Irocaz

Reaction score
Best to pull with he nose of the trailer(s) slightly high. The proper hitch weight is very important (about 15%). I had this set up for years. The best thing I did was change the quad trailer from a single axle to a tandem - stopped all sway behind the fifth.

I have heard both ways and do not know what to believe. I have thought about going to a tandem axle but afraid of my GCWR

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

According to the manufacturers its best to pull with the nose of the trailer level or lower to help control sway. I had my quad trailer nose high until i finally found the right drop hitch and it does make a diffrence

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The setup I had was a 29' General Coach Corsair and originally pulled a two place single axle 12' Triton. It pulled ok, each pulled great separately. I bought a tandem 12' Floe (tandem axles are separated too) and pulled this set up for 8 years. The key was to keep the nose up slightly and manage the tongue weight. This meant pulling full of water in the Corsair (help offset the Floe) and load the quads as far forward as possible. It worked good for what it was just too much of a pain in tight spaces and moved to a deck and bumper pull.

Last edited:

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
According to the manufacturers its best to pull with the nose of the trailer level or lower to help control sway. I had my quad trailer nose high until i finally found the right drop hitch and it does make a diffrence

literally pulled tens of thousands of kilometres with all types of trailers. Need to get the tongue weight right and pull at least level or slightly high. Trailer nose below level has never worked for me.

Not enough tongue weight then fish tailing will be your friend especially on a bumper pull (just ask anyone that has bought a toy hauler and can't get the quads far enough forward). A bumper pull with a garage is usually a bad idea.

Top Bottom