Enclosed Trailer - Tandem Towing

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Considering an enclosed trailer for overnight hunting and getting the bikes to destinations. I'm debating a SA vs TA with brakes, leaning towards the TA for the cargo capacity.
If i tandem tow the cargo trailer, will the cargo trailer brakes engage the same time as the 5th wheel? Wondering how exactly that would work?

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would check with Alberta transportation before going ahead pulling an enclosed behind a 5th wheel trailer I have never wired a plug for brakes on a hitch on the rear of a trailer but the trailer must have a brake away installed

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It can be done… but there’s quite a few things to consider other than just the wiring:

Max overall length cannot exceed 65’ in AB.
Is your truck rated for the total payload/towing capacity.
Is your 5th wheel frame and axles stout enough to handle the extra load placed on it due to the cargo trailer.
Where do you plan to go… BC is a no go with this set up for a personal vehicle.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Easy to do if the cargo trailer has hydraulic brakes or doesn't require brakes. I have done this a lot. Just need to beef up the rear hitch on the 5th wheel to ensure solid mount to the frame. I would push towards the single axle to avoid the brake situation unless you plan on switching out the electric to hydraulic which isn't that difficult to do.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just seen this set up today, a guy with a diesel pulling about a 34 foot 5th wheel and a 7X14 enclosed with electric brakes on enclosed, I dont know if its legal but it looked ok

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
It can be done… but there’s quite a few things to consider other than just the wiring:

Max overall length cannot exceed 65’ in AB.
Is your truck rated for the total payload/towing capacity.
Is your 5th wheel frame and axles stout enough to handle the extra load placed on it due to the cargo trailer.
Where do you plan to go… BC is a no go with this set up for a personal vehicle.
It's actually ok in BC if you have a big enough truck pulling it.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If trailer and load exceed 10,000lbs or 4500 kgs you require a class 1. I think alberta is same . That's total combined weight of trailer(s) and load. Of course the truck has to have a GVWR to handle all as well

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This will work on the 2 nd trailer
IMG_4763.png

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha, arff beat me to it.

I'd try something like this. By my understanding it uses power from the brake and the brake light signal to trigger the trailer brakes. This way your first trailer is connected to the truck brake controller and this one is controlled via Bluetooth on your phone.

Check the wiring schematic to make sure this is correct, but I think it would do the trick.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If trailer and load exceed 10,000lbs or 4500 kgs you require a class 1. I think alberta is same . That's total combined weight of trailer(s) and load. Of course the truck has to have a GVWR to handle all as well
You don't require a class 1 to tow over 10,000 lbs. If its a rec trailer, you only need a house trailer endorsement (write a test), but any other trailer over 10,000 lbs, you need a heavy trailer endorsement which includes a test and an actual drivers test including getting tested on a vehicle/trailer walk around. I did this this summer to pull a 13,000 lb boat and then a guy has it. You have to do a medical every 3 years too for the heavy endorsement. And no air brakes. This only applies to BC licenses, as long as you are legal in your province, you are good here.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can anyone from AB confirm this? I was under the impression (and so far my googling has shown) that a class 5 was good for anything as long as the tow vehicle only had 2 axles and the trailer had electric brakes? Air brake endorsement required if the truck has air brakes.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can anyone from AB confirm this? I was under the impression (and so far my googling has shown) that a class 5 was good for anything as long as the tow vehicle only had 2 axles and the trailer had electric brakes? Air brake endorsement required if the truck has air brakes.
In Sask, Class 5 can't tow a trailer over 10k lbs. Although it is allowed if you pass the 'heavy trailer' endorsement test.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's kinda what i was hoping for. I was thinking a bit simpler, maybe something that would amplify the brakes signal to the second trailer making them brake a touch harder than the main trailer to help keep things straight, especially in sketchy spots.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha, arff beat me to it.

I'd try something like this. By my understanding it uses power from the brake and the brake light signal to trigger the trailer brakes. This way your first trailer is connected to the truck brake controller and this one is controlled via Bluetooth on your phone.

Check the wiring schematic to make sure this is correct, but I think it would do the trick.
I talked to a couple people using this. They tow a trailer behind a 5th wheel camper. They claim it works great

Top Bottom