Warranty game...WTF...tired of it.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So my Polaris dealer calls me the other day to remind me that i have approx. 30 days left of warranty on my 2013 RZR and it would be advisable for me to get the extended warranty before factory warranty expires.
As he told me when i first purchased the machine, that if i wished to extend my warranty i could as long as it was done before the factory one was done. This is of course at an extra $1700.

At the time i said no thank you and again i said no thank you.

Here is the deal and what i told the dealer.
When i was shopping for one of these machines i asked, " is there any issues or problems with this machine i need to be aware of".
His reply was that these machines are solid, tough and very reliable. They have been out for several years now and have had no major problems and that most problems they have seen are from abuse.

Good i thought, a dealer that is standing by his product as being a good product. BUT IS HE REALY?

Once a deal was done, he quickly advised me and recommended the extended warranty for the extra $1700.
My reply was, "you said that this is a solid machine with little to no issues, now your telling me different and that your confidence in your product is not so solid by trying to sell me a extra warranty".
I also told him that i veiw that as an outright LIE in telling me that its a solid reliable machine in one hand then in the other after a deal is done telling me i should purchase the extended warranty.

Yes they tell you its for your own protection and you never know.

Here is what i told him. I spent X amount of dollars in YOUR store because i put a certain amount of trust and confidence in you and what you told me on your product (Polaris RZR).
I donot see any need in spending more money for warranty on something you said was VERY RELIABLE and SOLID. But if in the warranty time i do have an issue i will expect you to hold your end of the deal as my dealer. Plus should i experience major issues shortly after warranty expires that are OUT of the NORM, i would expect my dealer to go and support my purchase within reason.

Fact is if a product is so good why are we spending so much on very expensive extended warranties? But quiet the opposit, the product (ATV, UTV, Sleds ect) are not that good plus its another means for these manufactures to generate more revenue and take more money out of your pocket.
If my dealer fails to support me as a customer after i spent a substantial amount of money in his store on his product that he has so much confidence in. I garrantee it will be the VERY last time i spend money in his store, ad to that people i can talk to about the service i got and support i got. It can quickly demise a dealership or business.
We as a consumer in the power sport world allow the manufactures to dictate the rules and what we get out of this is very expensive unreliable.....STUFF haha just being nice haha.

Its BACKWARDS, the manufactures should be fighting to keep our business without pulling at our pockets for extra warranties monies. Fact is if i buy a sled or atv and i have unreasonable reliability issues, i will go else where and drop that manufacture like a dirty shirt.
Unfortunitely, the manufactures have too many by the balls and brand loyalty means less money in your pocket and more in theirs with dismal reliability and life expectency of the product.
If more of us turned our backs on manufactures that dont give us a reasonable return on our purchase without gold digging for more. IMO i think we would get a better more honest ATV, UTV or SLED. JMO

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a reason their commonly referred to as " stealerships ".
Extended warranty is a money grab to put more money in their pockets , just like you said.

Sent from my iPhone using while working extremely hard

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What choice do you really have though,,, want a sled or SxS,, quad ext there is only a few to choose from. Make yer own I guess,,,, I have,,, built a crazy custom 4x4 buggy and 30g doesn't get u chit and they break down still and cost big$$$ to fix. Ya gotta pay to play.... Soccer is cheap I hear,,, Probably why its so popular outside of western civalization.... First world problems....

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always ask for no warranty and a reflective break in the price. They look at you strangely and say we can't do that.

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta pay to play but yes the extended warranty is bull **** .... I have a friend who use to work at a chev dealership and she told me never buy it for anything cause most times they will not honor it and try to find fault in the owner abuse ... about the only thing a guy can do imo is maybe change dealers once in awhile to try and keep them honest but most wont care if you go elsewhere

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

hedge

Reaction score
A warranty is an insurance policy, it just takes the big $$$ hits away but you just pay for it over a longer term. On the same hand, with the new machine there are some spendy parts. I'd hate to have to have the power steering changed on my own dime. A warranty can also make a used machine easier to sell.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always ask for no warranty and a reflective break in the price. They look at you strangely and say we can't do that.

Did this with my pro. Saved a bunch of cash for when my compression goes down and i still own it ill used those saved funds to put better after market in.

Shock blows? Why warranty a mediocre factory shock when an aftermarkets better. Fair enough to replace a full motor or a transmission would suck but by the sound of it they do all in their power to turn it down.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What choice do you really have though,,, want a sled or SxS,, quad ext there is only a few to choose from. Make yer own I guess,,,, I have,,, built a crazy custom 4x4 buggy and 30g doesn't get u chit and they break down still and cost big$$$ to fix. Ya gotta pay to play.... Soccer is cheap I hear,,, Probably why its so popular outside of western civalization.... First world problems....

This made me lol.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

X3...........^^^^^^ (even passed along a little green rep!!)

I don't buy extended warranty on anything. Cars, trucks, appliances, sleds, whatever.......never have!

It is a ridiculous cash grab. How many buddies have you heard of that were denied because they didn't do an oil change, or didn't document this or that? My theory goes like this: The initial warranty period is where you will most likely need warranty if something is amiss. After the initial warranty, it is much cheaper to fix items on your dollar rather than paying for all the extended warranties.

Now, if you own a Polaris sled, extended warranty may be a good investment................:noidea:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X3...........^^^^^^ (even passed along a little green rep!!)

I don't buy extended warranty on anything. Cars, trucks, appliances, sleds, whatever.......never have!

It is a ridiculous cash grab. How many buddies have you heard of that were denied because they didn't do an oil change, or didn't document this or that? My theory goes like this: The initial warranty period is where you will most likely need warranty if something is amiss. After the initial warranty, it is much cheaper to fix items on your dollar rather than paying for all the extended warranties.

Now, if you own a Polaris sled, extended warranty may be a good investment................:noidea:

Better get ext warranty for that f.o.r.d pos...

Now, if you own a Polaris sled, extended warranty may be a good investment.

azzhat nuff said

Polaris and Ford's need ext warranty to keep running. Just the way it is.

sent while I should be drinking twisted teas

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$1700 will buy a lot of parts especially if you change them out yourself. I know that you know which end of the wrench to use. Save your money!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes i agree with the fact that you have to pay to play and i'm at the for front when it come's to paying and playing.
You pay alot of money for most things when it comes to recreation no matter what sport your in. But i do find it ironic that we pay big dollars for a product of quality....so they say and require extra warranties.

Yes we have a limited amount of options to choose from, especialy for sleds but only ONE will get my business....question is, which one HAHAHAHA.

I have already dropped one manufacture when it comes to sleds after i experienced 10yrs of poor reliability, clutching, tunning ect. ect. the issues went on and just browsing on here i see things haven't changed much for them. Same old same old.
Gone back to my earlier makes, new sleds though...lol

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$1700 will buy a lot of parts especially if you change them out yourself. I know that you know which end of the wrench to use. Save your money!
X2
When i bought the RZR in July and took it for its first ride it puked oil all over the valve cover and dumped oil into the air filter housing. This is after a couple of hours riding, we were at a camp site.
I checked the engine oil level and it was 1/2litre too much in the crankcase and the valve cover breather was lose....hahaha
WTF....did i not pay for a PDI on this machine?????
Fixed it myself.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A guy I know just lost the engine on his 2012 Ranger.( something about the coolant leaking into the crankcase, Warped head(s) maybe ) The unit was 3 weeks post warranty. The Polaris dealer in Athabasca, covered the cost of the parts and he paid the labor. Thats seems like pretty good service.
His bill was $1100.00 and the parts were about the same.
So he had a dealer that stood behind him and he spent less on a Major unexpected repair than what he may have paid for the extended warranty.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I buy used, let someone else pay the depreciation, and don't give a crap about warranty. Wait a year and you'll usually know if you should buy that model year or not. Been working out well for me for a long time.

This is my theory !

Sent from my iPhone using while working extremely hard

Top Bottom