Trail Repairs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why did someone not cut log completely out.

We fixed it

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cleaned up a lot of trees yesterday, big ones .. And sadly most were cut to short left hidden in long grass. Waiting to skewer you & your machine . Please cut them back to a safe width ! The water is incredible here, but little trail damage as it came so fast it has just ran downhill tothe creeks / rivers. But normal low spots are about a foot higher with water , if they have no drainage ....
Grreat ride yesterday and sunny today !

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Creeks are high

This was last week.

But it's still very high.

About 4 feet deep

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be great to get more, and government approved bridges built in situations like this. Time and money, time and money,.......
Creeks are high

This was last week.

But it's still very high.

About 4 feet deep

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be great to get more, and government approved bridges built in situations like this. Time and money, time and money,.......

Don't need a bridge here. Just drive a few km and cross a bridge

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone who helps removing debris and logs off the trail.

Remember cut trees all the way back and clear the trails

With sled season around the corner let's do our part to make nice trails for them.

Let's work together for all season sports and recreation.

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's an an old lost trail i'm clearing... Image1473378269.226053.jpg

Just a little grown in... Lol

Here is the after photo. Looks better in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't been quading for about 7 years ( was into the sxs scene) forgot how fun my quad was! Got the old "Brutalizer" up and running and went out for a week straight clearing trails, building little bridges and fixing washed out trails. All I could think about is how can I get paid to do this for a living! Lol.
This was all done around the Hinton area. Man we have a ton of trails here but pretty rugged country in places. I'll post some pics of my time out on the trails.

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Image1473401737.768106.jpg

This lost trail was getting grown in 12 years ago. Nobody cleaned it, sxs's were invented so they are almost to big for this trail, plus it washed out a bit further up. None the less it is a key trail to have open because it keeps quads off a near by hiking trail ( even though legally they can ride it) and it links up to a whole slew of cool old trails that see very little traffic these days. They need to be ridden or will be grown in just like this one...

Last edited:

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was the beginning of the trail. I had tied a ribbon onto a tree several years ago and cleared the first 10 feet so people would notice the trail and maybe start using it... Well that didn't happen. It'll be a nice cool trail soon. Lots of hard work and I mainly use my Fiskers machete. The saw only comes out when a tree is down... That Fiskers works awesome. Much faster than my chainsaw.

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was a trail I used to ride quite a bit. I went here 5-6 years ago and the trail was almost not rideable. Too grown in and trees down everywhere, washouts etc. I figured it would be gone forever... But the sxs's got popular here and with those machines riding the trail it got much better. The willows go mowed down and they always pack chainsaws so trees got cut.
There was one section that had a really sketchy short but steep climb with a huge wash out... I filled the whole thing in with logs and rocks and sticks. Next spring run off that will get filled in with silt and year after year it should repair itself.
I drove right up the center no problem after I fixed it.

This pic was the first day I went there to fix it. It was getting late so I left and came back a day later to fill it in completely in. Cut that tree that was overhanging too and it's in the hole now.

Last edited:

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So this is the same trail but farther up, about 10 years ago I tried to save this trail because it was getting so washed out. We cleared it a few times and we fixed some wash outs. This was one of the huge washouts. It was about 3 feet deep and as wide as the trail. We put big trees in there and if u look at the picture all you can see now is the top logs. It was cool to see how the sand and silt filled over and around it to make the logs or most of them totally hidden.
This is where my older buddy told me to just cut the willows and leave them on the trail. I always threw them off to the side prior to that but he said just leave them and they'll get beat into the ground. He was right and the willows/twigs etc work like rebar in concrete to hold the ground together.
Image1473403294.505733.jpg

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Image1473403389.608532.jpg

In the middle of the trail they logged a section. So a bunch of trees blew down because of no wind break now. It was almost 10pm and I still had 1/2 hr ride to get to the top of the trail so I cut as much as I could but those logs were big and I was low on fuel for the saw. Would have like to cut it wider but needed to save fuel for any other trees that may be down. Hadn't been to the ridge at the top in at least 7 years so I was exited to get there. Lol
Here's a pic at the ridge overlooking Hwy 16 near the park gates.

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While on the trail maintenance frame of mind , we came across a lot of mud holes filled with short cut logs this year. Some people get the ( wrong ) idea that throwing in 3' or 4' round logs into the hole is actually going to help them across it ....lol
While in reality, it just impedes your progress and helps to clog up the mud hole from draining properly .

Secondly these items float and quite often become tangled in your a arms / axles /skid plates/ tires etc etc ... Not only are they hard on CV boots , but if the hole dries up the sticks could poke right through the floor boards / wheel wells and seriously injure some one ...
If you are in dought go around a deep hole or winch through it , please do not make it worse by throwing more sticks / branches and roots / rocks or whatever in there ....,

Also be safe and cut the trail wide enough( 7 ') , so no one wrecks themselves or their machine ....
Cheers , ride on ....

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same for pals and I as we pick higher based terrain that is slopped for water run off, then fill in low edges too limit wash outs later on.

If we do a good job, then we reap the reward for years to come.

Seen some real nice bridges out West, but the creeks and rivers washed them out, so go plan for us is too patch up what's there like an extension of an extension so they can be used again.

Keeping them light and simple is our train of thought since they wash away freely if Papa Earth decides to claim them.

Our plan that works for us this year is stick to one or the other side per day too prevent crossing in the first place,,, pick a all travel block idea.

Less is more with out getting booged down, and we get free wheeling all day with no winching,,, this helps us put on the miles.

Pal Don at ever changing ways too adventure.

PS: All cut lines and stagging areas in good shape this year, thanks to all for sharing the word that us OHV folk take pride in our home lands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom