Trail Repairs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, any of you two know what type/kind of terrain each one is working in?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am in no way up to speed on the sled trails , but in our area we have many multi use trails ... We ride in central Alberta : ie clay mud gravel etc etc ...
Trails are trails , on the same ground . If you talk to any one who builds roads / trails etc in the bush , virgin ground is always best , unless you provide drainage & compaction .
This is my opinion , but I have been building roads / dirt work for 40 years ..+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
See, there you go again making assumptions. It is far more intelligent to ask questions as to what or how repairs have happened, then assume anything about them, or that a government paid for it........they didn't by the way. You are incorrect in so many ways with your post of what was done, what you think you know about trail repair, and what was done and accomplished for all trails users, both winter and summer, motorized and non-motorized.
I guess that's your opinion , just like mine I suppose ....
If you think levelling ruts with out proper drainage is okay , and mixing the top soil with the clay underneath will stand up... I have a sled ride in Saudi Arabia for you too ...

However , if you think that is the best way to spend gov resources ( over and over) have at it.... Listen to the experts ...lol
I would extend an invitation to you to come ride with us on the " sustainable trails " in central Alberta that that have worked on , and see in the real world how they are holding up ?

Particularly in a year as wet as this ....

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am in no way up to speed on the sled trails , but in our area we have many multi use trails ... We ride in central Alberta : ie clay mud gravel etc etc ...
Trails are trails , on the same ground . If you talk to any one who builds roads / trails etc in the bush , virgin ground is always best , unless you provide drainage & compaction .
This is my opinion , but I have been building roads / dirt work for 40 years ..+

Excellent! Now we know what background you have. And that is a big asset. And very appreciative of your knowledge. We need people with first hand knowledge of the real world.
Sounds like Kaz Dog is working from the "Gov't" side of trail building, which is absolutely nothing wrong with that approach either. Play with the gov't instead of against it. Not saying rzrgade is playing against it.
Point is, instead of "bashing" each others way of building a trail, which is the end result for all sledders/outdoor activity, use each others knowledge and ask questions and learn from each others experience.
I am not up to speed on trail building either, but do know that all three of our trails were a learning curve. Different terrain, different obstacles, different ways of making each trail. This is within approx. 100 km radius.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, any of you two know what type/kind of terrain each one is working in?
I have no idea what the terrain is in his area, never asked, don't care.

I know our trails, and work with trail builders and government in a cooperative way to repair erosion damage on a 37 year old trail system that is going strong and coming back from flood damage that occurred in 2005 and 2013. The efforts we put forth sure are appreciated by the Albertans that ride our system, both summer and winter, motorized and non-motorized.

• Thanks
Reactions: zal

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong.... I would rather learn from what you guys have to deal with (terrain/govt/private land/stakeholders/trail repairs), that way if WE have to deal with the same situation, we have an idea of how to approach the situation.

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was referring to the trails in the rig street area , which were gov funded so I am told , I am simply stating my point of view ....
BTW my offer to actually see and ride the trails still stands ...?
Some times it's good to get out of the office / meeting rooms and actually see the projects first hand . What is drafted on paper and what happens in the real world can be quite different in terms of positive results.
It would be beneficial to See how they have stood up / issues etc etc ....
Certainly the efforts are appreciated , but as in most cases involving the government ... Sorry , fact is they don't always know best ...lol

Let me give you an example : in an area we frequent ....
Some of the bridges were installed to cross low lying sensitive areas ... ( great idea) BUT no compaction or work was done on either end of the metal bridge !!! Just mud and dirt pushed up to the edge of the bridge lip.
So after a few machines cross it gets beaten down at each end . Impossible to cross and the metal bridge deck then shreds tires in an instant . As well as a potential safety hazard .
Here is the best part though... THEN people cross the wet area beside the bridge , thus wasting time / terrain / $$$$ / effort !
So yes it does matter what terrain it is and how it is done ...
Again this is a REAL world example ,I can personlly show you . Not an assumption ....
This is just my observation on mainly atv / Utv trails only . The rest I am not familiar with and have no interest in ....

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: zal

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ground is frozen when you sled, so it's a little different

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
True but it does thaw and erosion happens , no matter what was on the trail ... At some point .

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trails out in rig street are in fairly good condition, the new plowed trails have been holding up not that bad, are they thinking on putting in grass seed on trail? Been out there riding all summer, and it has been exceedingly wet! Bridges are great, keeps the guys out of the creeks . I'm sure if there are a few trenchs at bridge ends, a few shovels of dirt would fix it! Instead of driving by !

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only thing i have seen is the new ploughed trails are straight high speed runs

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not referring to the bridge's around rig street ..lol .
There are many other places to ride other than just a 1/2 hour from Red Deer!

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh, then who built these bridges? Rig street definitely not for everyone,

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
54ce92f6078caba0573c4e66a5708066.png

Above post covers this article

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a bad effort, not for everyone, but likely the way of the future

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
These trail that Kaz Dog has shown a video of are all rocky soil. The system used is what was recommended to us to do. This is a fairly steep trail and prone to erosion. Erosion will happen again for sure. We had the contractors add lots more water diversions than normal to drain off the running water. Work should of been all packed down during the work as part of the work but time and $$$$ didn't allow this. We will plant approved grass when we are able to and monitor the trail condition. Some of those erosion holes were over 30 inch deep and 3 feet wide. Hard to climb the trail and dodge the holes. This trail will be safer and easier to maintain in the winter with grooming. Erosion will continue to be a issue but we will be there to maintain. Government hasn't done any maintance in around 10+ years.
Ill try to post some more pics but we are doing what we can to bring back the trails of Catararct Creek snow vehicle area.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a lot better to hear in rocky conditions , I am speaking in general terms across a broad base of the atv/ Utv trails we ride ...
They see the most abuse and are a lot more unstable in terms of sustainability .
If it's working good and opens / keeps the trail open , that's great ! My concern simply is taking a cat to a muddy clay atv/Utv trail is not the answer in most cases ....
Thanks for clearing that up !

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes too erosion as its an on going part of the puzzle, this is why I spend my summers in Rocky areas that allow us to fix trails with ease since the rocks are close by too fill in spots.

There are trails that will need repairs in a few areas, so it's part of our rides on each outing.

Put in 1 or 2 hours of time fixing /maintance that allows us to enjoy the others that are good to ride,,, kinda like a win win as its our train of thought to assist in activists that benefit all of us.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom