Trail Repairs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarrenG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hate to admit it but didn't even end up using the chainsaw at all this trip even though there are numerous new trees that I could have taken care of. Most were small enough to just drive over and my son was able to get around or over on his quad so we got greedy and decided on more riding and less work! Did move the one potentially dangerous one off to the side of the trail so we could get by. Had some great rides but feeling a little ashamed! I know other people ride in this area but have never seen anyone clear trails before. We did end up with a bag of garbage from the same spot people always leave a mess. Getting pretty frustrating!

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hate to admit it but didn't even end up using the chainsaw at all this trip even though there are numerous new trees that I could have taken care of. Most were small enough to just drive over and my son was able to get around or over on his quad so we got greedy and decided on more riding and less work! Did move the one potentially dangerous one off to the side of the trail so we could get by. Had some great rides but feeling a little ashamed! I know other people ride in this area but have never seen anyone clear trails before. We did end up with a bag of garbage from the same spot people always leave a mess. Getting pretty frustrating!

Yes it is frustrating

Seems the common stop places with a view become a trash disposal.

Kind of sad.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too use too get Kur-Fluffled when younger seeing the crown land dumpp sites, but being that I have game plan too make things disapear gives me no time to fret this stuff now.

Burn-ible get burnt, metal gets ride out, and all is good.

Got home made chain to do the bush-log drag thing.

I keep chain rig set up in quad box, then find nice size drag-ible log to pull,,, smooths trails out like a dam until I get it snaged on the tree root, Ha.

Got chain log enough so I can back-up to pick different path.

Watch out for little red Onda dragiing a 6 to 8 foot tree at 0.8 of a kpr, LOL

From trail hog pal Lem

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That hondo pull that big chain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Today we will be riding and cleaning up the trails in a area we have not rode before.

Nice to check out new areas.

We will post our finding

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Luckily I really do see most UTV users practicing the pack out what you bring in motto. It was generally the same thing in Bonneyville but once in a while you would see a old fridge or two out in the middle of know where near the trails. I guess to some morons it made more sense to beat the piss out of there truck then pay a small fee to take it to the dump.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes areas are getting a lot cleaner. And people are moving trees now also.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I spent the last weekend with the Calgary Snowmobile Club and a member of Backcountry Trail Flood Rehabilitation Program on a few projects in the Cataract snow vehicle FLUZ area. We have a few new bridges built there the last few years and we were needed to work on streambank stability issues on the edges of the bridges. We installed willow staking along the creekbank. This involves putting willow sticks into the ground in a pattern to prevent erosion and build a good root system to help prevent erosion in the case of another flood or high water flow. As these stems reroot their roots grow deep and help support the bank. Pretty cool idea and we will see how it works in the future. It takes a few years till they really make a difference. We also built a French drain across a trail where a large spring was washing across a trail. All good things but I think these drains would just plug with mud on a OHV trail. With no OHV use on this trail and only hikers, horses and mountain bikers using it in the summer it should not be a problem and work as it is meant to work.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We cut a few downed trees on the trails.

Also the Braz club was doing major repairs. It all looked very good

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Small saws work great.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This past weekend, the Calgary Snowmobile Club worked with the Backcountry Trails Flood Rehabilitation program (thanks Matt - volunteer coordinator) on stream bank stabilization along the trail; willow staking beside two bridges, built a springs' sustainable drainage path across the trail, and completed a new re-route for a new bridge on the Cataract Creek Snowmobile Trails of the Cataract Creek Snow Vehicle P.L.U.Z. A big thank you goes to Glen Gillis and Darryl Lennox being driving forces on these projects, as well as the other volunteers who showed up. More names and pictures to follow!

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heading out next week to clean up some trails and look for trash and cans.

Maybe signs too.

Do what we can.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those available and interested in joining in, The Oldman Watershed Council, on behalf of the Recreation Advisory Committee (motorized), has planned a clean up for the Crowsnest Pass this upcoming weekend.

Garbage Pick-Up for August 27th at Atlas Staging Area
download

WarrenG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's good to hear. With all the rain this summer some of the main trails are in very rough shape. I tried contacting the Braz club because I do most of my riding in the DraytonValley area but nobody ever got back to me. Good to hear they're still active I'll have to try them again for next year.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes we cut and cleared a few trails along our route.

Lots of friendly riders in the area also

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That skid steer they used worked great also

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was huge winds that came with all that rain out west last week, had to move lots of trees, just a heads up ;)

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was huge winds that came with all that rain out west last week, had to move lots of trees, just a heads up ;)

Thanks for helping out.

We might be busy next week cleaning up fallen trees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom