Trail Fee Increase.

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$60,000 truck, $12,000+ sled, hundreds for fuel, food and accommodations and people are still gonna whine about the increase.. Sad but true. If you're short $5, I'm sure anyone in the parking lot would lend a guy the cash.

Not if he is being a douche about it. Anyone else yes.

I'm one of those guys who uses my debit card for everything ($1.70 at Tim's) and never has cash in my wallet. If I didn't buy a seasons pass I would be borrowing $25 off the guys I ride with every day. Been burned numerous times already. haha

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm one of those guys who uses my debit card for everything ($1.70 at Tim's) and never has cash in my wallet. If I didn't buy a seasons pass I would be borrowing $25 off the guys I ride with every day. Been burned numerous times already. haha

Same here I carry enough money to buy a trail pass in me avy bag just in case I get to the parking lot and have no cash. But then I have to be smart enough to remember about the money in there lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Same here, I pay for everything with plastic. When I'm packing my gear for the trip I generally stuff my trail pass cash in my Avy pack before I leave, along with a few extra $20's just incase someone in my group forgets theirs. Debt is to repaid in rum, cash or help wrenching if need be at the end of the night.
As far as being a douche, if it escalates to that then i guess someone will have to make a trip back to town..

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I have gone through the thread and there has been some great discussion. Thank you all for the supportive comments

Day passes in the Valemount area have increased to $25. Our seasons pass pricing has remained the same at $230 (club membership included) We do have a special on right now through to November 15th where the price has been reduced to $199. These passes can be purchased via Etransfer, paypal or cheque and by emailing the VARDA office with your full name, address, contact information and a photo. We then complete the paperwork at the office and mail out the pass and membership card. We are trying to make this as simple as possible. There is more info at www.ridevalemount.com.

There are many factors that lead to the increase and many of them have already been mentioned in this post and do not need to be repeated. To make a very long story short, snowmobile clubs and organizations are made up of amazing and dedicated people. We all want to provide the best product possible while balancing a very expensive operating program, unpredictable revenues, unpredictable weather and multitude of other uncontrollable factors. We all want the best for our guests, you are the winter lifeline of our communities.

Please help us by remaining positive, supporting trailhead staff and having open and free discussion throughout our snowmobile family.

If anyone has any questions, comments or suggestions for us, I would be more than happy to chat via phone, email or a quick pint in our local brewery.

We all want the best for our sport and VARDA is dedicated to maintaining the highest level of service for our guests based on the cards dealt to us.

Cheers to a deep and safe winter

Last edited:

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just a few of the expenses to run a grooming program. for last year fuel and repairs 49,000 operators and pass collection 50,000 insurance 10,000 the list goes on and on. garbage collection, brushing, washout and road repairs and two bridge decks on renshaw 39,000 and counting. cabin extention, repairs weekly to all three cabins,signage and then there is the plowing of three parking lots and the road up to belle parking almost 40,000. I could keep going but hope you get the picture. oh and all the work except grooming, cabin extention and plowing is done by a few volunteers. we have to watch our nickels and dimes to make it work.
yes this is an expensive year but it will have to be done again in a couple years so the process begins again. oh and shows and meetings, see I could go on and on but that is it for now.
Barry

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You make a good point but since you are talking about Allan creek let me break it down a bit. Allan creek trail is 9km long so it is the cheapest by a long shot to groom. Now you need to remember that there are also 2 other areas that get groomed on a regular basis. Both are 26+km long. Do you think it would be feasible to groom a 26km trail that sees only a handful of vehicles? (Chapel creek). It needs the funds from the other areas to keep going. Just because one area looks like a money maker to you does not mean that's all gravy it is going elsewhere. Like mentioned earlier the $ is not just for the passes. Any idea on the cost to mobilize a front end loader and skidsteer to move 3ft of snow in 3 different parking lots 30km apart? It adds up! Allan creek is also groomed midweek aswell when there are minimal users. Lots of costs associated in this. I hear you loud and clear about paying for a whooped out trail but this again has so many variables. The clubs try as hard as possible to maintain a perfectly smooth trail but when the weather isn't in their favour it's damn near impossible but they still need to recoup those grooming costs into the next day. Since your talking about Allan creek i have seen that trail take 500+ snowmobiles in 2 days and be a rock solid highway at the end of day 2. Weather -10 to -20. Flip to the following week same 500 snowmobiles and hovering around 0 degrees and it can barely take 50. So while I completely understand your complaint and it is a common one. You need to understand the economics of it. If a club pulled the pin on trail fees the following day after a groom you might not see it groomed again until the following week or worse. So sometimes paying to ride a whooped out trail is just how it goes! Buy some good shocks like I did and it really doesn't matter anymore anyways LOL

I think the next revolution in mountain sledding will be a simple, cheap drag that everyone pulls behind their sled on the way up and down the trail to eliminate whoops. Just need someone to invent it.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our club has three or maybe even four. Problem is with the "new revolution" of sledding its hard to pull them with the new sleds. You need a special stronger rear bumper, on older sleds was no issue but carbon fiber would not be recommended. Plus you need someone actually willing to pull it.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our club has three or maybe even four. Problem is with the "new revolution" of sledding its hard to pull them with the new sleds. You need a special stronger rear bumper, on older sleds was no issue but carbon fiber would not be recommended. Plus you need someone actually willing to pull it.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

It is always nice to read about new ideas. Some ideas are better than others!

The creation of the moguls is not caused by excessive throttle. They are from the nature of putting 500+ lbs on a relatively soft surface and having the snow move into rolling waves. With the snow and the speed of the sled there is a succession of waves created. It is unlike the wave created by a semi on an ice road as that wave just keeps going out in front of the truck and rebounds at the shore. Yes, there is a whoop from the excessive throttle but it doesn't affect the whole trail. Upon first read, the gadget appears interesting but with a little reflection is appears to be a total waste of time. How in hell is that little piece of plastic going to cut down the frozen mogul? I doo get a little skeptical in my old age........

"Presently, trails become a "War Zone" because when the throttle is applied, excessive track spin digs snow from the trail's surface. The more throttle that is applied, the greater volume of snow is thrown rearward, leaving a divot where the track was touching the trail, and a mound of snow (mogul) where it was deflected down from the "snow flap." EVERY snowmobile presently creates moguls resulting in "War Zone" trails. Making it worse, the snowmobiles following behind pack this mogul down increasing the divot-to-mogul displacement, tearing up the trails in only a few short hours. But NOW there's a solution!"

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice GIMMICK, look at that set up. are you going to take the time to bolt and un bolt the rigging. If you don't unbolt it you may as well pack a parachute because that bar is going to hang you up in the hills.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are many drag systems that are effective but they can be heavy and should be. They usually do require a special hitch that attaches to the bumper that when attached only requires a pin to remove. However with these light carbon fiber bumpers I wouldn't hook up to it. We use to set up on the tunnel but now a lot of cooling gets run in there so that's out. This winter im going to put tracks on my SxS and give it a try. The old XLT use to pull them well.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We hear this at the trail head all the time, My response is: you know perfectly well that you are going to ride in an area that requires trail passes so you should have got cash from an ATM before coming out.
In my mind this is nothing more than an attempt to circumvent paying, hoping that you will be given a freebie with a reminder for next time.( see it all the time, usually here it is locals though ).

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is always nice to read about new ideas. Some ideas are better than others!

The creation of the moguls is not caused by excessive throttle. They are from the nature of putting 500+ lbs on a relatively soft surface and having the snow move into rolling waves. With the snow and the speed of the sled there is a succession of waves created. It is unlike the wave created by a semi on an ice road as that wave just keeps going out in front of the truck and rebounds at the shore. Yes, there is a whoop from the excessive throttle but it doesn't affect the whole trail. Upon first read, the gadget appears interesting but with a little reflection is appears to be a total waste of time. How in hell is that little piece of plastic going to cut down the frozen mogul? I doo get a little skeptical in my old age........

"Presently, trails become a "War Zone" because when the throttle is applied, excessive track spin digs snow from the trail's surface. The more throttle that is applied, the greater volume of snow is thrown rearward, leaving a divot where the track was touching the trail, and a mound of snow (mogul) where it was deflected down from the "snow flap." EVERY snowmobile presently creates moguls resulting in "War Zone" trails. Making it worse, the snowmobiles following behind pack this mogul down increasing the divot-to-mogul displacement, tearing up the trails in only a few short hours. But NOW there's a solution!"

Hmm maybe take another look at the mechanics behind it, this is supposed to spread out the snow displaced upon track acceleration as it bounces along. Not likely to do much on existing hardened moguls. Looks like it may work as advertised, on the sled that is pulling it. Practical - not unless every sled on trail has one.
As to track acceleration having no effect on mogul build up, Lets go look at a few corners and water crossings
icon10.gif

Likely have better luck dragging weighted tires i think

Last edited:

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We hear this at the trail head all the time, My response is: you know perfectly well that you are going to ride in an area that requires trail passes so you should have got cash from an ATM before coming out.
In my mind this is nothing more than an attempt to circumvent paying, hoping that you will be given a freebie with a reminder for next time.( see it all the time, usually here it is locals though ).

I have never rode for free, asked for or expected a free day. Fortunately those in my group bailed me out on those occasions so I didn't have to drive back to town for cash. Now I buy memberships/season passes and don't worry about it. :)

I suspect you are correct that some folks try to use this as an excuse for a free day.

Last edited:

Jake

Reaction score
We don't have the latest diesel truck, enclosed trailer and sleds. Don't go to the mountains as much as we used to. Last year we went to Valemount once, paid the 20 bucks, trails were terrible. 25 bucks a day?

Top Bottom