tracked quad allowed?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not here (in Whitecourt). They are snowmobile trails (in the winter anyway). Quads, even when tracked, chew the crap out of the trails. There is not much worse than heading into a corner on a groomed trail only to have your ski drop into a rut that some tool spun into the trail with his quad.

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run my tracked quad on shared (not organized) trails and find it hard to ride where someone has stopped their sled, then dropped the hammer and dug a foot deep rut for 50 ft. I for one, do not think these machines (sleds & quads) are compatible when using the same trails. Not that one is better, they just don't play well together.

amunro

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Mitch, we all need to watch out for the guy that just put tracks on his suzuki sidekick, it was as AutoShop the other day and the guy at the Vital signs was saying the guy plans on taking it on the trails, that would be a hell of a scare come ripping around a corner to see that friggin thing

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Driving a quad on a sled trail is akin to driving a farm tractor on an autobahn. They just don't go together. U can do it but u will look like a retard while doing so. Tracks wouldn't wreck the trail as tires do. When i go sledding it's with other sledders, or quadding its with other quadders. But it is a free world, good luck with any associations that will frown upon it.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For trail clearing? sure...... There are lots of other places to ride than sled trails.....If not, join a club and clear some like the snowmobilers have been doing for 30 odd years.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not here (in Whitecourt). They are snowmobile trails (in the winter anyway). Quads, even when tracked, chew the crap out of the trails. There is not much worse than heading into a corner on a groomed trail only to have your ski drop into a rut that some tool spun into the trail with his quad.

No worse than the tools that dig a trench in the trails from starting out, poor comparison. And ya quads do a number on any trail with snow groomed or not. Should be a better way to get your or THE CLUBS point across.

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondring..... why not get a seld and use the quad for what it was made for?

No disrespect just wondering? Seems like alot of money for tracks.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
probably because sledding season has been so short the last 10years quite honestly.

and i agree the tracks cost alot for what you get out of them but they are still cheaper than a slead.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can always pick up a good used sled for 2500-3000 whats the cost of tracks like 5000+? although I would like to put them on my dirt bike

Smidgy

Reaction score
you can always pick up a good used sled for 2500-3000 whats the cost of tracks like 5000+? although I would like to put them on my dirt bike

Around here a track kit can be had for ~4000 out the door, possibly cheaper if you find a deal. It all depends on the kit you get I guess. The thing I like about track kits on atv's is that it is one machine to maintain/store/insure/register every year not two. Lets face it recreational equipment is expensive, so even though you could have bought a sled for that money, that doesn't mean it is the same price in the end. I don't like atv tires on the trail, but bikes with tracks should be allowed IMO. Atv's with tracks are also capable of going to some pretty remote places, and if the trail was packed down well snowmobiles could then follow, opening the oportunity for the sleders to use it. But everyone has thier preference, everyone enjoys something different, and it is hard to please everyone.

The thing I gripe about in New Brunswick is a lot of the snowmobile trails will be on active atv trails both having permission to use or are on crown land, but there are no rules in place to one or the other when the use should start or stop. A lot of atv'ers atv in the snow to a point, but they also groom the trails as soon as there is enough snow to do so. The atv'ers may set out not on the trail but at some point travelling to thier destination cross one of these trails, are they supposed to turn back? Doesn't seem right either....

Nadz

Reaction score
No worse than the tools that dig a trench in the trails from starting out, poor comparison. And ya quads do a number on any trail with snow groomed or not. Should be a better way to get your or THE CLUBS point across.
As far as I know... All ASA trails only insure snowmobiles on trails, not quads.
I would like to see the ASA group be a year around organization. We all use quads to make the trails anyways. (minus the crop fields) I am a strong member of our local snowmobile club (Myrnam River Ridge Riders), and I personally have donated many miles of trails with my Tracked Skidsteer & Mulcher. Normally I dispise quads on snowmobile trails in the winter, but this year there isn't enough snow to take the sleds on the trails. I really enjoy our trail system and it frustrates me that I can't enjoy them this year. I am very tempted to take the family and friends out to go quading, but ASA regs won't allow it. Myself and many other locals built these trails long before the ASA was ever involved. Don't get me wrong, I'm not b*tching. I would just like to see some compromises. What I'm trying to say is, since there is no snow on the trails and we can't ride the trails with our sleds. Why can't we ride them with our quads??

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just as an update, I ride on some groomed snowmobile trails and are welcomed by these clubs. The tracks DO NOT damage these trails due to the large suface footprint from the tracks - double that of most sleds - and help pack the trails. Wheeled quads, well thats a different matter.

And personally I think I'd rather break new ground than play follow the leader on trails.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not letting tracked ATV's on our trails is a joke.

vs my ATV with wheels you have a argument vs a tracked ATV your just trying to enforce your opinion.

that's my view on it and if i had tracks id be on them trails. and if someone bitched he can go phone the cops.

Top Bottom