Towing with Toyota Tacoma??

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I had a small truck (ranger 4l)and trailer 12'-1800lbs,I know what I went through with winds/hills and such,I can't even imagine towing a 5500lb trailer with two bikes in the back. It's just like the rv dealer telling people your minivan will tow that trailer, Yes it will , would I want to drive it ....no way in hell

I had a ranger witha 4L and it was no where near as powerfull as a taco's 4L

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

seriously, are you a 13 year old kid at his parents computer with nothing better to do than post useless "smilies" ? Is this just a post count race for you or something? seriously kid your about the only person here thats being ignored, because you have nothing intelligent to say.

Yeah maybe she didn't like what you had to say but, how come after the 2nd or 3rd time you didn't just back off and kept your USELESS little 8th grade snickering comments to yourself instead of trying to educate her with stuff she clearly did not want to hear?

Lady dirt was simply asking from experiences from owners who had Taco's before of how they towed trailers. toyboy, bogger, jaysimon and tylerG (and some others) were the ones who talked some reality with regards to what they can tow safely through mature conversation. Next time act your age not your damn shoe size.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why listen only to people that have already made a mistake instead of the rest of us that actually know what we are talking about???

It sounds like you only will listen to what you WANT to hear...Ok here it is then...The Tacoma is the baddest, trailer-pullinest, rootin-tootin hauler ever built!!! RAH, RAH, RAH!!!!

GO TACOMA!!!

Geez, people that actually pull trailers, and do this kind of stuff are speaking of their experience, trying to help. Why havent a bunch of Tacoma owners replied?? They know better, or are wrapped around a semi bumper somewhere because they too thought their Tacoma could haul a big trailer (we arent going very far, its OK).

Man, the poor guys with 1/2 tons get beat about sled decks and overweight daily here, and you are trying to defend towing with a Tacoma? Cmon, its a small, light midsize truck...deal with it!

Nothing wrong with a Tacoma, just the owners that wont listen to anyone...

Hey! its me down here !! you know and average guy from earth! could you come off that really really high totem pole of infinite wisdom and listen to what she's asking instead of bombarding her with indirect criticism? come on guys.

So are you saying Tacoma owners are stupid and dont listen? wouldn't that kinda defeat the purpose of posting it on a forum? oh , and are you saying that Tacoma's even though rated for towing "x" amount of weight should be slap carpet in the box and a box cover and only be used for hauling groceries?
Come on they have a rating and shes asking if she can exercise that rating by towing a trailer.

I understand that towing a trailer at a trucks maximum rating is a bad idea, but to write the truck off saying that it shouldn't be used for towing is stupid. But given that i'd say that the truck should be alright for towing a 3500 lb with a good axle to hitch ratio , good stabilizer hitch etc so that she can accommodate for stopping distance and handling (wind etc ).

Not everyone can afford to switch to a 3/4 t or 1 ton diesel to pull a trailer and still be able to afford to go out camping, quadding, biking etc. Some of us have to deal with what we have and pick a trailer that is suitable for our tow rigs.

I was young a stupid one time and had a 04 hemi reg cab short box and i tried to towing a 30 ft 8000lb tt. The truck was rated for over 8000lbs but it sure as heck was miserable pulling it. So i upgraded to a 3/4 diesel and it pulls like a dream. Point being that if i hadn't been able to afford to buy a diesel i would have had to trade the trailer in for something lighter.

I give ladydirt props for coming on here and getting opinions first before potentially overloading her truck and making our roads unsafe. But to jump down her throat with childish crap makes people feel uncomfortable to post of here because they fear of being pounced on by some "know it alls".

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Wow, did you even read the whole thread? Panties on too tight??

If you go back and read, I tried to explain the issues of overloading a Tacoma, or any other truck, period...

Every second post, Ladydirt, kept repeating that this was not what she wanted to hear, I tried once again, and again she didnt want to hear it...

So, I did the respectful thing and quit posting...I cant help anyone not willing to listen to what I was saying...

Good job bringing it back up though...Off your meds or just havin a bad day bud??

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Ram...another point...

Also it wasnt about towing with a Tacoma at all...it was about the size of trailer that she was considering...(this is why I ask if you read it all, but your response has answered that question already)

My response was based on the size of trailer, the one that was an awesome deal from her father...the one that once loaded would more than likely EXCEED the Tacos rating...

So seriously, sure I give her credit too...oh and guess what, she is considering a smaller trailer now, so you can bash me all day, but maybe in the end, I did some good...

I stand by what I said...still applies...

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why listen only to people that have already made a mistake instead of the rest of us that actually know what we are talking about???

It sounds like you only will listen to what you WANT to hear...Ok here it is then...The Tacoma is the baddest, trailer-pullinest, rootin-tootin hauler ever built!!! RAH, RAH, RAH!!!!

GO TACOMA!!!

Geez, people that actually pull trailers, and do this kind of stuff are speaking of their experience, trying to help. Why havent a bunch of Tacoma owners replied?? They know better, or are wrapped around a semi bumper somewhere because they too thought their Tacoma could haul a big trailer (we arent going very far, its OK).

Man, the poor guys with 1/2 tons get beat about sled decks and overweight daily here, and you are trying to defend towing with a Tacoma? Cmon, its a small, light midsize truck...deal with it!

Nothing wrong with a Tacoma, just the owners that wont listen to anyone...

Ram...another point...

Also it wasnt about towing with a Tacoma at all...it was about the size of trailer that she was considering...(this is why I ask if you read it all, but your response has answered that question already)

My response was based on the size of trailer, the one that was an awesome deal from her father...the one that once loaded would more than likely EXCEED the Tacos rating...

So seriously, sure I give her credit too...oh and guess what, she is considering a smaller trailer now, so you can bash me all day, but maybe in the end, I did some good...

I stand by what I said...still applies...

Good for you... but honestly, a few of you definitley misunderstood me from the get go. I think the above comment you made towards me was seriously uncalled for. Dont give him chit for not reading the thread because I don't think you really listened to me at all or read or understood anything I was saying in the beginning of this thread. But its OK, I forgive you. I UNDERSTAND what you were trying to get across, but it didn't really apply to anything I was trying to ask. I never once said I was GOING to pull a 4000lb trailer, and that my all mighty tacoma COULD handle it, I simply just wanted to hear what people who tow with Tacoma's had to say. I am fully aware of what would exceed my truck's limits, and i'm not a biased taco lover who was only waiting to hear what I wanted to hear, I just wanted first hand experience with the truck itself...not all these jerkoff comments which came across as people trying to make me look like an idiot.

Yes i'm considering an even lighter trailer, but not because of what you've said, i've always been considering a lighter trailer, that is why i came on her to hear experiences IF people are towing something similar...just wanted to see what actualy Taco owners had to say.. No real help here obviously with that part so I joined another forum where people who are actually towing with the same truck were able to provide me their good and bad experiences. I've learned that many people are towing 5600lb trailers with Taco's, but have beefed up their trucks a little to accommodate, something i'm really not willing to do. I've learned that staying well under 5000 lb max should be a comfortable towing weight for the truck, as long as the payload capacity with bikes, gear, and tongue weight doesn't exceed the 1300lb capacity...which is something i have always been cautious of when trailer shopping...

thanks again all of you for helpful input... i'm sorry that this had to turn into such a huge misunderstanding...i guess that what happens when you try to communicate via computer.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Good for you... but honestly, a few of you definitley misunderstood me from the get go. I think the above comment you made towards me was seriously uncalled for. Dont give him chit for not reading the thread because I don't think you really listened to me at all or read or understood anything I was saying in the beginning of this thread. But its OK, I forgive you. I UNDERSTAND what you were trying to get across, but it didn't really apply to anything I was trying to ask. I never once said I was GOING to pull a 4000lb trailer, and that my all mighty tacoma COULD handle it, I simply just wanted to hear what people who tow with Tacoma's had to say. I am fully aware of what would exceed my truck's limits, and i'm not a biased taco lover who was only waiting to hear what I wanted to hear, I just wanted first hand experience with the truck itself...not all these jerkoff comments which came across as people trying to make me look like an idiot.

Yes i'm considering an even lighter trailer, but not because of what you've said, i've always been considering a lighter trailer, that is why i came on her to hear experiences IF people are towing something similar...just wanted to see what actualy Taco owners had to say.. No real help here obviously with that part so I joined another forum where people who are actually towing with the same truck were able to provide me their good and bad experiences. I've learned that many people are towing 5600lb trailers with Taco's, but have beefed up their trucks a little to accommodate, something i'm really not willing to do. I've learned that staying well under 5000 lb max should be a comfortable towing weight for the truck, as long as the payload capacity with bikes, gear, and tongue weight doesn't exceed the 1300lb capacity...which is something i have always been cautious of when trailer shopping...

thanks again all of you for helpful input... i'm sorry that this had to turn into such a huge misunderstanding...i guess that what happens when you try to communicate via computer.

Haha you are in no way an idiot...take guts and balls to ask something on a public forum that 'might' be criticized. We know you are a toughie though and you have proved it LOL...

I am sorry if my posts didnt meet your standards, I still believe what I said to be true, but yes I agree, so hard on the internet to convey your feelings...

I was smiling and having fun while posting, and you may have taken it as much more harsh, this was not the intent...the intent was too help you make a wise and SAFE decision...And keep in mind, in the begginning you never mentioned a smaller trailer...

Oh ya, and if he needs chit in my opinion, I will give it to him LOL (I have already sent him a pm and apologized for making fun of his panties )

Anyways, I truly hope you find a trailer that works, and you have a great stress free summer of camping and biking...Keep in mind we dont want to see pics of you here in a wreck...I can be an azz but it was with your safety in mind...

Good luck and thanks!

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a lighter note, I have decided that with lots of factors involved, that I am going to stick with something under 3500lbs dry, and obviously hitch wieght will be a factor in that too, will get an equalizer, stabilizers, etc. Gas mileage is a huge thing too, with gas prices expected to sky rocket this summer, ideally i want to try and get the best gas mileage while towing so a lighter trailer is definitley necessary. Have got two that i'm really interested in at the moment as i've mentioned..so we'll see how it goes..

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
On a lighter note, I have decided that with lots of factors involved, that I am going to stick with something under 3500lbs dry, and obviously hitch wieght will be a factor in that too, will get an equalizer, stabilizers, etc. Gas mileage is a huge thing too, with gas prices expected to sky rocket this summer, ideally i want to try and get the best gas mileage while towing so a lighter trailer is definitley necessary. Have got two that i'm really interested in at the moment as i've mentioned..so we'll see how it goes..

Sounds like a GREAT decision on your part...and yes gas predictions are looking ugly by the summer. Think you have made a great choice!

Be safe and have a great time with the new trailer!

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha you are in no way an idiot...take guts and balls to ask something on a public forum that 'might' be criticized. We know you are a toughie though and you have proved it LOL...

I am sorry if my posts didnt meet your standards, I still believe what I said to be true, but yes I agree, so hard on the internet to convey your feelings...

I was smiling and having fun while posting, and you may have taken it as much more harsh, this was not the intent...the intent was too help you make a wise and SAFE decision...And keep in mind, in the begginning you never mentioned a smaller trailer...

Oh ya, and if he needs chit in my opinion, I will give it to him LOL (I have already sent him a pm and apologized for making fun of his panties )

Anyways, I truly hope you find a trailer that works, and you have a great stress free summer of camping and biking...Keep in mind we dont want to see pics of you here in a wreck...I can be an azz but it was with your safety in mind...

Good luck and thanks!

How in anyway did you give me chit? You came across as a dink so i called you on it. You are not the bigger man by giving me chit.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Good luck and thanks!

My very very first post starting the thread said I was still considering lighter trailers... but anyhoo it don't matter... I know on here you gotta take everything said with a grain of salt... but it yes it can be frustrating when you feel people have misunderstood you. I've always been a little weary about my Dad's trailer and that's precisely why I came on her to get experiences and yes, I did get good experience related feedback, and I thank everyone for that, but aside from all that I still wanted the actual taco feedback itself. I'm resourceful.. I do a lot of research and i'm determined to find out what i wanna know and for the most part I did. As a first time trailer buyer I don't want to have a bad experience, I want it to be as comfortable and convenient as possible.

ram is a close friend of mine and he's just stickin up for me:)

I think we're all pretty good at bein chit disturbers sometimes..:rolleyes:

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
My very very first post starting the thread said I was still considering lighter trailers... but anyhoo it don't matter... I know on here you gotta take everything said with a grain of salt... but it yes it can be frustrating when you feel people have misunderstood you. I've always been a little weary about my Dad's trailer and that's precisely why I came on her to get experiences and yes, I did get good experience related feedback, and I thank everyone for that, but aside from all that I still wanted the actual taco feedback itself. I'm resourceful.. I do a lot of research and i'm determined to find out what i wanna know and for the most part I did. As a first time trailer buyer I don't want to have a bad experience, I want it to be as comfortable and convenient as possible.

ram is a close friend of mine and he's just stickin up for me:)

I think we're all pretty good at bein chit disturbers sometimes..:rolleyes:

Yes it did....and my first post said at 4000# it should be no problem...

I did say (warn) later that pushing the 6500# rating was dangerous...

Anyway, why are we still debating this...I let it go a LONG time ago LOL...And Ram is a good friend for sticking up for you, but you were doing fine all on your own...

350summitX

Reaction score
not to stir the pot or anything..... when I had my ranger, the manual gave limitations on towing various trailers, like yours does. I was limited not only by the weight of the trailer, but also the surface area of the front and sides of said trailer. for example, I could tow a flat deck trailer weighing 5000lbs, but was restricted to much less than that with a camping trailer with a greater surface area being pulled (like a parachute).

my buddies tacoma did ok pulling a 14' flat deck with 5 quads on it to grande cache, and the same trailer hauling 3 sleds to valemount; both times with 4 passengers. I know the truck was working quite hard. :beer:

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In all honesty though, I haven't been in a truck that was towing a trailer that wasn't working a little bit...it seems that most people, no matter what their trucks towing limits are, are getting pretty close to their capacities..

Last year at the Snow and Mud jamboree I towed a brand new, ultra light weight 26ft Gulf Breeze trailer with an 06' dodge hemi, we got 8-9mpg, and the truck was brutal towing that trailer, it was screaming at like 7-8grand the whole way.. yikes.

So, i'm not expecting that towing even a lighter weight, small trailer, with two bikes in the box of a taco is going to be a breeze, but i'm sure we will make do for the maybe 4 times a year that we do it. Eventually, we will want a bigger truck and bigger trailer and all in good time.. for now, we have a starter truck and we are seeking a starter trailer that will suit our needs... and we do have needs, we can't just settle for some POS trailer with no options cuz that would be a waste of money..

i'm gonna get a brake controller and have my good buddy ram4tow wire it up for me and lend me his toy hauler, maybe pack it up with some sleds or quads or something and see how she does.... just to get an idea :)

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Anyone buy trailers south of the border..?? Heard this Holeman RV is really good ...

I kinda like this one..

2011 Forest River RV Wildwood X-Lite 22RB Travel Trailers at Holman RV Batavia Ohio Holman RV

I havent, but it seems most of my friends have...sounds like huge savings and very little issues at the border. One thing I have been advised is to find a 'brand' that has warranty outlets in Canada. Buddy bought in the US saved over 10k and gets it serviced and warranty work right here in Medicine Hat...

Worth the trip...

Top Bottom