Towing with Toyota Tacoma??

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Access cab is the one with the small back seat, quad cab is the 4 door model.

GVWR for the double cab is 5450
Curb weight for an auto is 4145 (4065 for a manual)
Payload is listed at 1150# Payload= Passengers,equipment, luggage and cargo
The quad cab configuration ate up a bunch of your legal payload capacity unfortunately.

So you need to add up the total weight that you will be hauling, dogs, bikes, people and the tongue weight of your trailer, this needs to be under 1150 to be legal. I'm sure you could get away with a bit more and it would handle okay, but you would have troubles if you encountered DOT. You will need air bags, that is no question.

In the end, with everything packed/bolted to into your truck, it can't legally weigh more than 5450#.

A lighter trailer may be the best option. Given it is a lease, you might be wanting to think about going easy on the drivetrain... or you may not care, but it may be something else to think about.

Pulled all the specs on the 09 from

yeah so we have 1300lbsto play with, with myself, my boyfriend and our bikes we're sitting at about 650 lbs. That allows us 650 lbs for any other cargo we put in the truck, as well as tongue weight of the trailer.. and chances are..MOST of our cargo.. (gear, etc) will be stored in the trailer..so I think we're okay on the "legal" limit

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah so we have 1300lbsto play with, with myself, my boyfriend and our bikes we're sitting at about 650 lbs. That allows us 650 lbs for any other cargo we put in the truck, as well as tongue weight of the trailer.. and chances are..MOST of our cargo.. (gear, etc) will be stored in the trailer..so I think we're okay on the "legal" limit

I would scale the truck with a full tank of gas, with you and your boyfriend in it. Then you will know for sure.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is more of what we have in mind for a tiny trailer..we're suppose to go look at it on Sunday..

2007 Light Weight Travel Trailer - Edmonton Travel Trailers, Campers For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton Canada.

We don't want anything super old, and we want to be comfortable. We would be camping in the bush a lot so a shower is a must, and to be able to have water, etc. Queen bed is desired as well.. we have to be somewhat picky because if we're not happy with what we purchase then what's the point?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
nothing wrong with that at 2600lb dry...

Just check the tongue....those axles look set back a bit...

This is more of what we have in mind for a tiny trailer..we're suppose to go look at it on Sunday..

2007 Light Weight Travel Trailer - Edmonton Travel Trailers, Campers For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton Canada.

We don't want anything super old, and we want to be comfortable. We would be camping in the bush a lot so a shower is a must, and to be able to have water, etc. Queen bed is desired as well.. we have to be somewhat picky because if we're not happy with what we purchase then what's the point?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
heres all the info on that unit..... 2006 should not be any different from the 2007...

dry weight is 2737lbs
hitch weight is 225lbs

should work fine for you

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nothing wrong with that at 2600lb dry...

Just check the tongue....those axles look set back a bit...

That looks like a good trailer....

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
if it were me I'd have lowball (W2R) call and offer $6K

then when you offer $8500 they will jump at it....

realistically all the others I found were between $10500 and $15K so if you can get it for $10K probably a pretty good buy

I sold my 1999 thore wanderer 23' 2 years ago for $10K cash...

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah.. we were thinking about offering 8500.. depending on the condition, etc and how much we actually like it. 10k is sort of our max budget for a trailer.

Small little newer light trailers are really hard to come by though.

Ok so a trailer that is under 3000lb dry, would we still need an equalizer hitch and stabilizer bars do you think? With the Taco's max payload capacity being 1300lbs with bikes, etc loaded up? Trailer brakes obviously..my truck is already wired for that so it's just a matter of installing them, which i priced out at around $300.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you think about a 2004 21ft Amerilite Gulfstream? its 3200lbs dry, gvwr 4900lbs, highly doubt we would ever ad 1800lbs to a trailer anyway. Guy is asking $9100.

Kelzon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with the Equalizer Hitch, with any trailer you buy ! It is well worth the extra dollars. When you get the cross winds or a semi going past at high speed you will be Glad you have it.
As far as the Brake Control goes you can beat the $ 300.00 dollars by far. I had mine done at Hitch Depot in Red Deer ( 403-341-2347 ) for a total of $ 213.81 ( $ 176.00 for the control & $ 27.00 to install $.63 parts and $ 10.18 GST. Hope this helps you.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Red Deer is a tad far to go and have the brakes installed, i'm sure I could shop around Edmonton a bit more for a similar deal.

Anyone know of a good place to get trailer brakes?? Can't remember the name of the place I called last year, but it was by far the cheapest out of 3 or 4 places I had called for quotes.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Access cab is the one with the small back seat, quad cab is the 4 door model.

GVWR for the double cab is 5450
Curb weight for an auto is 4145 (4065 for a manual)
Payload is listed at 1150# Payload= Passengers,equipment, luggage and cargo
The quad cab configuration ate up a bunch of your legal payload capacity unfortunately.

So you need to add up the total weight that you will be hauling, dogs, bikes, people and the tongue weight of your trailer, this needs to be under 1150 to be legal. I'm sure you could get away with a bit more and it would handle okay, but you would have troubles if you encountered DOT. You will need air bags, that is no question.

In the end, with everything packed/bolted to into your truck, it can't legally weigh more than 5450#.

A lighter trailer may be the best option. Given it is a lease, you might be wanting to think about going easy on the drivetrain... or you may not care, but it may be something else to think about.

Pulled all the specs on the 09 from

:nono::nono::nono::nono:

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can supply and install or you can supply the brake controller as long as your truck is pre wired

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I actually must have been on glue, i called a few places today and a common holiday trailer brake controller is only $165 installed in most places here in Edmonton. My truck has the tow package so the wiring and all that is already there.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I actually must have been on glue, i called a few places today and a common holiday trailer brake controller is only $165 installed in most places here in Edmonton. My truck has the tow package so the wiring and all that is already there.

friggin glue.....

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca

Attachments

• not listening.jpg
    not listening.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 114

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will be very unlikely we would tow in the winter, and rarely in BC (but possible). We obviously are very aware of the Taco's limitations. as mentioned above my payload capacity is 1300lbs, and the absolute max towing is 6500lbs.. we have no intention to push the limit. We are looking at trailers that have a maximum dry weight of 4000lbs (5600 max gvwr) which is still 1000lbs under the max limit, and trailers between 18-23ft long. The truck would have 2 bikes in the back with our gear..and as mentioned before we travel pretty light..its just the two of us. Intention would be to fill the trailer with water closer to our destination to avoid hauling that extra weight. Ok and the whole stopping issue... do trailer brakes not help with this?

AH ladydirt you can borrow the ole cummins to pull her ! haha

Top Bottom