Towing with Toyota Tacoma??

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
trailer@5500lbs what about water food and all your other stuff. Pretty easy to carry 1500lbs worth of stuff. Any time you are at or near your towing capacity you are going to have a shitty time towing. It is more about payload than towing capacity, if you have no suspension left because of the weight

MAX 5500lbs...this is the trailers GVWR..the absolute MAXIMUM the trailer can handle, dry wieght, unloaded around 3 to 4000lbs. The payload in my truck is about 1300lbs. I know my truck can tow a 3-4000lb trailer (GVWR of around 5600lbs max) no problem, all i'm asking is people who HAVE Tacomas who know first hand what their experience is with it.

I'm not asking what people "think" my truck is capable of, because I already know that..I just want to hear from people who have actually towed with them the pros & cons...

thanks!

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever trailer you look at buying, make sure you hook it up and give it a tow with lots of turns, hills, and slam-on-the-brake stops. My Tacoma was rated the same but there is no way I would have tried to pull 6000lbs anywhere but on flat Alberta paved roads.

With some smooth driving I'm sure you could get a big trailer through the mountains, the day you'll have a problem is when it is +2 degrees, snowing hard, and someone crashes in front of you while you are coming down a hill of ice. The Tacoma can pull it, but not necessarily stop it. My 2-spot sled trailer pushed me through a corner and off the road while coming down an icy logging road on a misty day out by Nelson. Pretty intense.

A mechanic I met at Heninger in Calgary towed a 24 foot camper with his but only headed east to camp and had put some airbags in his truck.

It will be very unlikely we would tow in the winter, and rarely in BC (but possible). We obviously are very aware of the Taco's limitations. as mentioned above my payload capacity is 1300lbs, and the absolute max towing is 6500lbs.. we have no intention to push the limit. We are looking at trailers that have a maximum dry weight of 4000lbs (5600 max gvwr) which is still 1000lbs under the max limit, and trailers between 18-23ft long. The truck would have 2 bikes in the back with our gear..and as mentioned before we travel pretty light..its just the two of us. Intention would be to fill the trailer with water closer to our destination to avoid hauling that extra weight. Ok and the whole stopping issue... do trailer brakes not help with this?

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will be very unlikely we would tow in the winter, and rarely in BC (but possible). We obviously are very aware of the Taco's limitations. as mentioned above my payload capacity is 1300lbs, and the absolute max towing is 6500lbs.. we have no intention to push the limit. We are looking at trailers that have a maximum dry weight of 4000lbs (5600 max gvwr) which is still 1000lbs under the max limit, and trailers between 18-23ft long. The truck would have 2 bikes in the back with our gear..and as mentioned before we travel pretty light..its just the two of us. Intention would be to fill the trailer with water closer to our destination to avoid hauling that extra weight. Ok and the whole stopping issue... do trailer brakes not help with this?
You way 125lbs he ways 200lbs you have 25lbs of stuff in the cab with you.The bikes weigh 900lbs together plus 100lbs. of gear ,fuel etc.Gas weighs 10lbs. per callon so a jerry can weighs 50lbs.Water weighs 10.45lbs p/g
----
=1350LBS. by my calculations you are already 50lbs. over cargo capacity and you haven't even hooked up your trailer. I'm sorry for beating this to death but do the MATH because not only will you be pushing the limit but you will be exceeding it,Just want you and all the other people on the highway to be safe. Take a full size truck and that trailer for a drive with your bikes and stuff then try your tacoma loaded the same way and trust me this thread will be dead

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You way 125lbs he ways 200lbs you have 25lbs of stuff in the cab with you.The bikes weigh 900lbs together plus 100lbs. of gear ,fuel etc.Gas weighs 10lbs. per callon so a jerry can weighs 50lbs.Water weighs 10.45lbs p/g
----
=1350LBS. by my calculations you are already 50lbs. over cargo capacity and you haven't even hooked up your trailer. I'm sorry for beating this to death but do the MATH because not only will you be pushing the limit but you will be exceeding it,Just want you and all the other people on the highway to be safe. Take a full size truck and that trailer for a drive with your bikes and stuff then try your tacoma loaded the same way and trust me this thread will be dead
what kind of bikes weigh 450 lbs each? my XR650 weighed 325, they don't come any heavier than that. 2 stroke 250 weighs 250 lbs, 450x weighs 275. gasoline weighs 6.25 lbs per gallon, full jerry can only 31 lbs. riding gear including helmet and boots 25lbs....

Last edited:

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
----

actually, our bikes only weigh 400lbs combined..your a litte off on that one... the two of us combined is still a lot less than your estimate but whatever, point is I know for a fact all of our gear + bikes is way under the payload capacity, we have been hauling bikes and all our camping gear, etc in our truck for 2 years. You see Taco's all over hauling bikes, a quad, and pulling a 20ft trailer, so i'm not concerned that my truck can do it, again, I want to know what experiences that people who OWN tacomas and haul with them have.. your "opinions" don't really concern me.

So again... I'm really looking for input with people who HAVE a Tacoma and haul with them.. I'm also curious about MPG towing at highway speed, etc.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The trailer brakes are there to slow the trailer down, but the smaller your truck, and the bigger the trailer, means you are really putting a lot of hope that your trailer brakes are tuned right in on the controller. In a straight line, you should have no problems at all, even with an emergency stop, but in a turn on a gravel road, you're trailer will want to keep going straight when you slam on the brakes. A heavier truck won't get pushed around by the trailer.

Not saying you can't do it, not at all. Just see if you can get a trailer that is the size you want and try it out. Take it in some dirt, get some speed, make a turn and slam on the brakes, see what happens.

Air bags would be a good idea too. After a while I found my rear springs got softer and would bottom out on bumps with 2 bikes, 2 sets of gear, and 2 200+lb guys inthe truck.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
actually, our bikes only weigh 400lbs combined..your a litte off on that one... the two of us combined is still a lot less than your estimate but whatever, point is I know for a fact all of our gear + bikes is way under the payload capacity, we have been hauling bikes and all our camping gear, etc in our truck for 2 years. You see Taco's all over hauling bikes, a quad, and pulling a 20ft trailer, so i'm not concerned that my truck can do it, again, I want to know what experiences that people who OWN tacomas and haul with them have.. your "opinions" don't really concern me.

So again... I'm really looking for input with people who HAVE a Tacoma and haul with them.. I'm also curious about MPG towing at highway speed, etc.
Sorry erring on the side of caution.....good luck

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alternatively, you could load up your bikes and gear as you would to go camping and hit the scales. This will let you know what tongue wieght you are good for.

I have a friend who tows with his Tacoma, he pulls a 2 place sled trailer and complains the truck is gutless, mind you, this is an older model with the 3.4L engine, not the 4L in the newer models.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca

Why listen only to people that have already made a mistake instead of the rest of us that actually know what we are talking about???

It sounds like you only will listen to what you WANT to hear...Ok here it is then...The Tacoma is the baddest, trailer-pullinest, rootin-tootin hauler ever built!!! RAH, RAH, RAH!!!!

GO TACOMA!!!

Geez, people that actually pull trailers, and do this kind of stuff are speaking of their experience, trying to help. Why havent a bunch of Tacoma owners replied?? They know better, or are wrapped around a semi bumper somewhere because they too thought their Tacoma could haul a big trailer (we arent going very far, its OK).

Man, the poor guys with 1/2 tons get beat about sled decks and overweight daily here, and you are trying to defend towing with a Tacoma? Cmon, its a small, light midsize truck...deal with it!

Nothing wrong with a Tacoma, just the owners that wont listen to anyone...

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why listen only to people that have already made a mistake instead of the rest of us that actually know what we are talking about???

It sounds like you only will listen to what you WANT to hear...Ok here it is then...The Tacoma is the baddest, trailer-pullinest, rootin-tootin hauler ever built!!! RAH, RAH, RAH!!!!

GO TACOMA!!!

Geez, people that actually pull trailers, and do this kind of stuff are speaking of their experience, trying to help. Why havent a bunch of Tacoma owners replied?? They know better, or are wrapped around a semi bumper somewhere because they too thought their Tacoma could haul a big trailer (we arent going very far, its OK).

Man, the poor guys with 1/2 tons get beat about sled decks and overweight daily here, and you are trying to defend towing with a Tacoma? Cmon, its a small, light midsize truck...deal with it!

Nothing wrong with a Tacoma, just the owners that wont listen to anyone...
Couldn't have said it better myself.....but as you saw I gave up

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I get it, Tacoma's don't have the same towing beef as a half ton, but I have a Tacoma, not a half ton V8 for many reasons and wont be purchasing a half ton any time soon..and we're purchasing a trailer and thats that. No, we're not going and buying a huge ass toyhauler or 5th wheel, we're buying a small trailer within my trucks manual-listed towing capacity that will suit our needs. I have consulted enough people who have been towing trailers for years to know what this truck is capable of, and all i want to know is what people's experiences with it is, i am very much aware of the limits, and I already know that the trailers we are interested in, with bikes, gear, everything loaded up is still under the payload and towing capacity. I've done the research. I am just curious if there are people on here who own and have towed a similar sized trailer with the same truck with the same towing package and what their experiences are. Is that okay with you people? Geez...

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Yes I get it, Tacoma's don't have the same towing beef as a half ton, but I have a Tacoma, not a half ton V8 for many reasons and wont be purchasing a half ton any time soon..and we're purchasing a trailer and thats that. No, we're not going and buying a huge ass toyhauler or 5th wheel, we're buying a small trailer within my trucks manual-listed towing capacity that will suit our needs. I have consulted enough people who have been towing trailers for years to know what this truck is capable of, and all i want to know is what people's experiences with it is, i am very much aware of the limits, and I already know that the trailers we are interested in, with bikes, gear, everything loaded up is still under the payload and towing capacity. I've done the research. I am just curious if there are people on here who own and have towed a similar sized trailer with the same truck with the same towing package and what their experiences are. Is that okay with you people? Geez...

Of course this is OK, and honestly 'we' get it too...we are only trying to help keep you (and everyone else) safe on the road. My comment was only to try make you understand that we are all trying to help, but some of the comments you are totally dismissing because they arent what you want to hear. Your plan is to take your truck to its TOTAL rated limit...Perhaps a smaller trailer, so you have some spare capacity if ever needed? Instead of your starting point being at the maximum, start smaller...

Again, we all are just trying to help...

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Of course this is OK, and honestly 'we' get it too...we are only trying to help keep you (and everyone else) safe on the road. My comment was only to try make you understand that we are all trying to help, but some of the comments you are totally dismissing because they arent what you want to hear. Your plan is to take your truck to its TOTAL rated limit...Perhaps a smaller trailer, so you have some spare capacity if ever needed? Instead of your starting point being at the maximum, start smaller...

when they put a weight rating on any vehicle, it is not the absolute capacity (breaking strength) of that vehicle but the rating at which they consider a safe working load for it's parts. so even if you were right at that rated capacity there is a safety factor built in. combine that with safe driving procedure and there shouldn't be a problem towing/hauling to it's capacity.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Agreed. I had a small truck (ranger 4l)and trailer 12'-1800lbs,I know what I went through with winds/hills and such,I can't even imagine towing a 5500lb trailer with two bikes in the back. It's just like the rv dealer telling people your minivan will tow that trailer, Yes it will , would I want to drive it ....no way in hell

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes i am completely aware of the comments some of you are making, but see you dont seem to be listening because my plan is NOT to take my truck to its total limit..which i have mentioned like 5 times now? I will say it once more that the trailers we are in the market for are WELL UNDER the Tacoma TRD's towing/payload limits. HOw many more times do I have to say it? Some of the comments you people are making are not relevant to what I am asking at all therefor is not helping me. Yes, I know that I shouldn't tow a 7000lb trailer loaded to the nuts with a Tacoma, i'm not stupid and that's not my plan. I've done enough research to know what my limits are and all I want to know is what people with teh same truck, towing a similar trailer the kind of exerpeinces (good AND bad) have had. THANK YOU to those of you who have had some feedback about towing with a Taco and who are actually listening to what i'm asking here. It's not about what I want to hear, but its about getting the right answer to my question...which obvioulsy no one on here can provide, so, that is fine. I've found a forum that is dedicated to Toyota's and hopefully some Taco owners on there can help me out.

Sorry for wasting your folks' time

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you shouldn't have to apologize lady dirt, it's an open forum and you have to take the good with the bad. you have obviously done your homework on the truck's rated capacity and you will be within the limitations of your unit. is a dually duramax towing a tri axle 5th wheel loaded to the nuts any safer than your setup? absolutely not....especially combined with a pilot that thinks pulling it down the road at 120km/hr is okay because it can do it. the only thing it will cost you is a lot in fuel, and if you are cool with that you are good to go. just use caution when driving and be mindful of steep downhill grades.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Are you planning on taking your truck to it's total limit?... might wanna leave some buffer... What if you get fat???

Yes i am completely aware of the comments some of you are making, but see you dont seem to be listening because my plan is NOT to take my truck to its total limit..which i have mentioned like 5 times now? I will say it once more that the trailers we are in the market for are WELL UNDER the Tacoma TRD's towing/payload limits. HOw many more times do I have to say it? Some of the comments you people are making are not relevant to what I am asking at all therefor is not helping me. Yes, I know that I shouldn't tow a 7000lb trailer loaded to the nuts with a Tacoma, i'm not stupid and that's not my plan. I've done enough research to know what my limits are and all I want to know is what people with teh same truck, towing a similar trailer the kind of exerpeinces (good AND bad) have had. THANK YOU to those of you who have had some feedback about towing with a Taco and who are actually listening to what i'm asking here. It's not about what I want to hear, but its about getting the right answer to my question...which obvioulsy no one on here can provide, so, that is fine. I've found a forum that is dedicated to Toyota's and hopefully some Taco owners on there can help me out.

Sorry for wasting your folks' time

I agree with teeroy.... there are safety factors built into all towing and payload ratings...even at the threashold you are safe... maybe not legal but safe....

not saying it's right but I've seen many a 1/2 ton hauling a 30+ 5th with a boat in tandum... or a deck with 2 quads and and a 25+ foot bumper pull.... thats unsafe... being 100+/- over your rating is not unsafe...just illegal

Last edited:

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
when they put a weight rating on any vehicle, it is not the absolute capacity (breaking strength) of that vehicle but the rating at which they consider a safe working load for it's parts. so even if you were right at that rated capacity there is a safety factor built in. combine that with safe driving procedure and there shouldn't be a problem towing/hauling to it's capacity.

Well aware of that...thanks! However, her first question was the consideration of a 22' trailer. If it only weighed 500#'s can you imagine trucking down the hiway in a 60km/hr side wind?? In a Tacoma? Sorry, the truck can and will pull the 'weight' no issue at all. The issues surround doing it safely. As others have mentioned, there is so much more to consider than just the rating of the truck and actual weight of the trailer. You still have to be able to navigate it down the road through various conditions safely...

'Safe Driving Procedure'...your words, not mine, but its EXACTLY what Im getting at. Can it pull a 22' trailer, yes, Should you? That is the question? Under ideal conditions, sure...

Trying to shed some light on the fact that there are more conditions to consider than just the ratings of the truck and the weight of the trailer and gear...I have a 3 place enclosed that will move my 3500 around with the right wind and it doesnt weigh 4000#'s. Couple that with people that have never hauled a big trailer before and what do you get??

AWESOME crash scene photos...:eek:

I would prefer pics of a happy couple having some fun camping and hitting the trails...

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
side wind has rolled over loaded tractor trailers on the highways. does that mean that they are not safe? it has to do with common sense and experience I agree, but to say that it should not ever be done is just not so.

Top Bottom