Towing with Toyota Tacoma??

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I havent, but it seems most of my friends have...sounds like huge savings and very little issues at the border. One thing I have been advised is to find a 'brand' that has warranty outlets in Canada. Buddy bought in the US saved over 10k and gets it serviced and warranty work right here in Medicine Hat...

Worth the trip...

well, a trailer like the ones I posted are definitley worth at least 20g here new, these guys in the states are probably hurtin and would prob no doubt take 10g US for these trailers if they're askin 11ish.. We're gonna give em a call anyway I think and see.. this holman RV ships to the border for you for pretty cheap and also arranges all the necessary paperwork. The warranty stuff you mentioned is definitely something to consider too..

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took an hour to read 7 pages LOL..

Dont forget your trailer mirrors L.D.

lol kinda ridiculous isn't it?:rolleyes: this is what happens when a woman goes to bat in a male-dominated discussion regarding a more male-dominated topic...lol BUT, my man doesn't have the time or skills to do the kind of research I do..accumulating the bikes, truck, and soon to come trailer is all my doing.. he just supplies the funds LOL..

AHhh yes the mirror extensions right? Definitley woulda forgot about those...hmmm crappy tire?

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
lol kinda ridiculous isn't it?:rolleyes: this is what happens when a woman goes to bat in a male-dominated discussion regarding a more male-dominated topic...lol BUT, my man doesn't have the time or skills to do the kind of research I do..accumulating the bikes, truck, and soon to come trailer is all my doing.. he just supplies the funds LOL..

AHhh yes the mirror extensions right? Definitley woulda forgot about those...hmmm crappy tire?

Ya i know what ya mean....
The crappy tire ones work but the mirror part is very small....I know the truck is a lease but maybe look at some factory tow mirrors that extent out,might be expensive but once again well worth it,like a GOOD brake controller is.I have a built in one in my chevy,but prodigity(sp) makes a real good one.One that tells you the amount of power going to the trailer is great,not the one that makes you guess how much is being applied,,just my 2 cents

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca

Trailer and RV dealers too will have tons of options for tow mirrors...

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what's been said, but as another Tacoma owner, I know two things:

1) They aren't a towing truck. Suspension, brakes, and motor.
2) Towing ratings should only be used about 3/4 of what they say, and even then tongue weight, as mentioned, is critical.

I pretty much will only tow a flat deck trailer and two sleds. That's about all the truck can do IMO. Sure you can tow more, but it becomes unsafe and doesn't handle it very well. Braking is a huge issue with the Tacoma. They aren't powerful brakes.

This is on a 09DC, TRD 6-speed.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what's been said, but as another Tacoma owner, I know two things:

1) They aren't a towing truck. Suspension, brakes, and motor.
2) Towing ratings should only be used about 3/4 of what they say, and even then tongue weight, as mentioned, is critical.

I pretty much will only tow a flat deck trailer and two sleds. That's about all the truck can do IMO. Sure you can tow more, but it becomes unsafe and doesn't handle it very well. Braking is a huge issue with the Tacoma. They aren't powerful brakes.

This is on a 09DC, TRD 6-speed.

Thanks for the feedback. I am getting quite a bit of mix responses regarding towing with Taco's. I joined a Toyota forum and talked to quite a few people who tow 4-6,000lb trailers, and are having little to no problems..but they've made sure they have the best brake controllers, equalizer hitch/stabilizer bars, etc, OEM lifts, airbags, etc. I haven't gotten a lot of negative feedback, but i've been recommended by a few other owners who tow with the same truck without the lifts or airbags to try and stay under 4000lbs max, and not cheap out on equalizer hitch or brake controllers. Were looking at trailers that have a dry weight of max 3500 lbs or less. I realize they may not be the greatest tow vehicle on a regular basis, but the truck comes stock with a tow package (brake wiring, tranny cooler, etc) so it must be set up to tow something..at least well within and under its max capacities. I'm hoping that with a trailer under 3500lbs dry, around 300lb or less hitch weight, a good brake controller, equalizer hitch,stabilizer bars etc, etc we should be some what "comfortable". Im taking all the necessary precautions I can anyway. We can try it for a season anyway and see how it goes...the truck is a lease and I doubt i'll have it forever.. although I really do love it and other then hauling a trailer and dirt bikes in the summer months we have absolutely no need for a V8. I take transit to work all year long so the extent of my trucks weekly use is to drive up the block to buy groceries and run errands LOL. Pretty much the only reason I could justify buying it is to haul my bikes in the summer.. but atleast the mileage is staying low.. lol 3 years and only at 35,000 km :)

speeder72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You came here with a legit question,and were given some great advice by people who are experienced in this field.Instead of listening to what some of them had to say ,you just dismissed anything that was not the answer you wanted to hear??? Why bother even asking??

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You came here with a legit question,and were given some great advice by people who are experienced in this field.Instead of listening to what some of them had to say ,you just dismissed anything that was not the answer you wanted to hear??? Why bother even asking??

She looked at a tacoma specific forum to get some more information. I'm sure she took some valuable info from here as well, but S&M is not the be all, end all of everything. If I want information about sleds, I come here. If I want information about my Duramax, I might post here, but I will definitely be looking on Duramax specific forums. It's always good to ask many different people. You never know where an expert might be lurking..... She has taken enough heat about her choices here :nono::nono:.

speeder72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
She looked at a tacoma specific forum to get some more information. I'm sure she took some valuable info from here as well, but S&M is not the be all, end all of everything. If I want information about sleds, I come here. If I want information about my Duramax, I might post here, but I will definitely be looking on Duramax specific forums. It's always good to ask many different people. You never know where an expert might be lurking..... She has taken enough heat about her choices here :nono::nono:.

looks to me like she has gotten feedback from people on here using the same truck, Thanks for your 2 cents though

snoboy

Reaction score
Looks like as good a place to jump into S&M as any. I just sold my '06 TRD (towing package and it had the rear springs replaced to eliminate the sagging with any more than 200lbs in the box) due to way too many issues with trying to find a toyhauler camper that would handle everything I wanted w/o overloading my little Taco.

Loved the truck, but a towing powerhouse it isn't. I had no problems with it through the mountains up to ~4000lbs, but when I tried to push it closer to the max rating things got a little sketchy. Really wanted to run away on you on downhills and you need to be braking way in advance for sharp corners. I have no doubt people in flat locales are towing 6000lbs with it, but I, personally, wouldn't recommend doing it through the mountains very often at those weights.

On top of that the payload was a killer when I started looking at toyhaulers, the hitch weight is just too high on most of them. Good luck, though, totally understand not wanting to part the Tacoma.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like as good a place to jump into S&M as any. I just sold my '06 TRD (towing package and it had the rear springs replaced to eliminate the sagging with any more than 200lbs in the box) due to way too many issues with trying to find a toyhauler camper that would handle everything I wanted w/o overloading my little Taco.

Loved the truck, but a towing powerhouse it isn't. I had no problems with it through the mountains up to ~4000lbs, but when I tried to push it closer to the max rating things got a little sketchy. Really wanted to run away on you on downhills and you need to be braking way in advance for sharp corners. I have no doubt people in flat locales are towing 6000lbs with it, but I, personally, wouldn't recommend doing it through the mountains very often at those weights.

On top of that the payload was a killer when I started looking at toyhaulers, the hitch weight is just too high on most of them. Good luck, though, totally understand not wanting to part the Tacoma.

yeah it definitely sounds like im making the right choice with sticking to about 4000 lbs max.. and a hitch weight at or under 300lbs.. hopefully won't be overloading it too much that way. Looking at trailers between like 2600-3200 lbs dry..

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why not just take brooks truck and trailer? That guy works to much to use his stuff anyways. As for towing mpg (could have been covered but i gave up after page 3) i wouldnt even look at what your paying. The gf has a ranger with a 4L. after one trip it will never haul anything again. I just closed my eyes at the pumps during the trip to brule

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why not just take brooks truck and trailer? That guy works to much to use his stuff anyways. As for towing mpg (could have been covered but i gave up after page 3) i wouldnt even look at what your paying. The gf has a ranger with a 4L. after one trip it will never haul anything again. I just closed my eyes at the pumps during the trip to brule

When I pulled my boss's 16' enclosed, tandem axle trail with one sled in it I was getting 10MPG. That being said I think something was wrong with the trailer as it didn't pull well and the trailer was in horrible condition.

From what I've seen, expect the same or similar mileage from a full size no designed for towing. With my buddies old Hemi Ram we were getting 9MPG with three sleds and an open trailer driving 110-115.

Even with the deisels you'll get around 13-15MPG if not modified.

Either way, once you get a load most trucks suck the fuel back. Some are better then others, specifically the ones designed to tow.

I'm not sure how much a travel trailer will weigh when all said and done, but even the wind resistance it will add up. Keeping speeds to 95-100 will definitely help, and in B.C that's not silly slow. In fact on mountain roads I'd slow it down to 90 for sure simply because that trailer can, and will steer the truck given the opportunity.

I think if you can stay under 4000lbs finished weight it will do, just don't be in a rush and try to avoid busy highway times as you may be crawling up some hills and easing into the downhills. As mentioned, you cannot get away without trailer brakes. Tacoma's brakes a very weak.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. I wouldn't mind a wind-up tent trailer, but I have nowhere to store it =(

Have you thought about one of those "offroad" tent trailers? They have a flat deck over the hitch area, higher ground clearance with bigger wheels, and I imagine come in a reasonable weights. Problem is they aren't cheap. I think I remember around 14,000 used.

If not this thing is pretty kick ass:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...no-Stampede-Hybrid-Trailer-W0QQAdIdZ267050307

sicamoose

Reaction score
personally I wouldn't tow anything longer than a 17.5 - 18 ft trailer. I didn't read all the threads here but would recommend fiberglass trailer as well to keep weight down......(ie. Bigfoot 17.5).

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going to resurrect this thread for one small question..

Would I need to worry about installing a trailer brake controller for my truck if i were to purchase a tent trailer? Do most tent trailers come with trailer brakes? Just not sure if it is necessary for pulling such a light-weight unit with my truck when not pulling through terrain such as BC, etc.

Thanks!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Going to resurrect this thread for one small question..

Would I need to worry about installing a trailer brake controller for my truck if i were to purchase a tent trailer? Do most tent trailers come with trailer brakes? Just not sure if it is necessary for pulling such a light-weight unit with my truck when not pulling through terrain such as BC, etc.

Thanks!

As long as the trailer is less than 1400kg (3086lbs) and is no more than 50% of the tow vehicle weight...

you should be fine.......

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As long as the trailer is less than 1400kg (3086lbs) and is no more than 50% of the tow vehicle weight...

you should be fine.......

Don't regulations for inspections call for anything over 2000lbs in B.C to have trailer brakes?

Either way, IMO, they wouldn't hurt. Your truck is already wired for them. If the tent trailer you look at has the brakes it's an easy decision. I think the controllers are about 70-150. I've heard it's worth it to buy the good ones.

If you can do it, it's easier on the truck and you. Plus safer to drive.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I pulled that info straight from the BC highway traffic act.....

She didn't ask if it would be a good idea, of course extra safety is better, she asked if it was required.

Don't regulations for inspections call for anything over 2000lbs in B.C to have trailer brakes?

Either way, IMO, they wouldn't hurt. Your truck is already wired for them. If the tent trailer you look at has the brakes it's an easy decision. I think the controllers are about 70-150. I've heard it's worth it to buy the good ones.

If you can do it, it's easier on the truck and you. Plus safer to drive.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah obviously if the trailer had them, and my truck is already wired for them, we would probably at some point have the controller installed as they are pretty inexpensive..but if the tent trailer doesn't have them etc..then do I even bother? I would have to see how the truck towed one first, as Tacoma already has really chitty brakes. But ya, just checkin to see if its required here in AB.

Guess it would just all depend on size/weight of the tent trailer if/when we get one...

Top Bottom