Torpy/Mcgregor area 2013/2014 riding conditions

Attak998

Reaction score
Not familiar with the area but would like to come down to ride for the morning.. How to u get to staging area for torphy?

Sent from my iPhone using

I'm not an expert, but so far, I followed Upper Fraser road from PG, to when this nice single lane bridge crosses the river a good 30 km in or so, then the road splits, I think some people may be staging here due to all the snow, but its a good ride in to Torpy from there

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but so far, I followed Upper Fraser road from PG, to when this nice single lane bridge crosses the river a good 30 km in or so, then the road splits, I think some people may be staging here due to all the snow, but its a good ride in to Torpy from there

After the single lane bridge, the road splits and you take the first right. It's about 1/2 km to the next turn: your first left. You will see the signs for the area and beacon checker. At this point, I believe the road is plowed to km 15 as they are logging up that way. People are staging there. Parking is single file on the side of the road, so be courteous and leave enough room for others to turn around where the logging road branches off. It seems common sense, or so you would think... But I've seen some pretty jerkoff park jobs. If you are really "smart" you park on both sides of the road as close to the logging access turn as you can so that the big trucks and equipment can't get out without clipping you :( grrrrr. Side rant over!!!

Unload here, and then head up the Pass Lake road- keep right at the 25km "y" in the road. It's about 25kms in (from the 15 staging area) to an area known as the Burn (left side)This is your elevator to the alpine. It is a winter cut block so the stumps are deceptively high and very capable of wrecking a sled! The safety cabin is just a little further up the road, on the right hand side below the burn, in the trees. (Stop in and sign the guest book: it helps show the ministry we are actively recreating in the area and keep it open!)

Study your maps before you go- its a big area with nearby caribou closures and high avy danger as well as a good 1000 foot (or so) ridge that would not be cool to drop off! If you can find someone who knows the area it has some real hidden gems :). Lastly, packing extra fuel is a good idea, especially when they aren't logging up the road bcz it is usually 40kms in on sled...

Last edited:

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just so everyone knows......save a trip! pass lake road is not great and the burn is pretty chewed up. Lots of stuck sleds so lots of deep trenches and a couple of downed trees add to the excitement. I made it up and there is alot of wind blown snow making for heavy snow conditions. No good snow left around the cabin either. Went past the cabin and took the first road to the right to find anything new and not chewed up but we found a really thick hard crust that made doing anything almost impossible. All in all.....not worth the trip.

MC Xpress

Reaction score
A big dump of snow on Friday and the trail was groomed on Thursday. Should be good digging again. Stay out of avy terrain with all the new snow and heavy wind loading I suspect danger will be high.

mountainmonster

Reaction score
Haven't heard much on the torpy since xmas. Should be good snow with the weather the last few days.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard much on the torpy since xmas. Should be good snow with the weather the last few days.

3-4 feet of fresh in the cutblocks beside the trail on Thursday. We burnt 1/2 our gas just getting to the burn. Bashed at it a few times, broke a bumper turning out to try again and said screw it. The visibility was crap anyway so it really wasn't worth busting iron to get to the top anyway. A couple people made it in over the weekend. Deep deep deep. A helicopter drop of fuel and snorkels are necessary at the moment!!
jusygaqu.jpg
uvy5uzyt.jpg

driller

Reaction score
rode in there yesterday and it was as good as it gets minus the 40 klm ride to the burn
we broke into the second bowl and it was waist deep in the trees and a little better than knee deep in the open area
played our fuel out and headed out
sure would like to play 20 dollars at the trail head for a groomed trail even if it was from 22 klm to the burn
such a great area thanks to the snowmobile club for lobbing to keep this area open

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rode in there yesterday and it was as good as it gets minus the 40 klm ride to the burn
we broke into the second bowl and it was waist deep in the trees and a little better than knee deep in the open area
played our fuel out and headed out
sure would like to play 20 dollars at the trail head for a groomed trail even if it was from 22 klm to the burn
such a great area thanks to the snowmobile club for lobbing to keep this area open

We are working on it... We have to have Section 56 status on the road to charge trail fees. This application has been underway since summer and is in its final stages. With luck, we will have a new system in place for the coming season. Nothing with any kind of government involvement happens quickly: especially other 3 different ministries and several corporate stakeholders involved :(

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SnoKing and myself are curious about whats west of McBride? Couple of tree riders. Where is the Torpy Mcgregor area? Sounds like pretty decent snow. Whats your average temps this time of the year

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SnoKing and myself are curious about whats west of McBride? Couple of tree riders. Where is the Torpy Mcgregor area? Sounds like pretty decent snow. Whats your average temps this time of the year

Well... we would love to tell you, but then we would have to kill ya!

Just kidding... It is stellar "secret": I grew up in the area and never knew we had mountains that anyone snowmobiled in. The Torpy is part of the McGregor Mountain Range. It has two main riding areas in it and several smaller ones surrounding it. I can tell you that we have the biggest snowpack in the province this year, topping out at 428cm as of last week :) Prince George is also lucky to have a few lower elevation riding areas 1/2 hour north that get huge amounts of snow but don't really have alot of avy danger. This is where we are playing these days with all the special avalanche warnings at the moment. Our average temperatures are about the same as McBride BC. The only drawback to a place like PG is that you kinda have to know someone to find these areas- they aren't really well known areas and once you get in it isn't easy to navigate. I have heard a few visitors who made it into the Torpy remark that there was 'nothing up there', but the truth is that it is virtually endless!!

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are extremely lucky to have the type of awesome sledding we do literally out our backdoor. I agree with SledMamma that it isn't a place that you just take off to and ride, like some other well known riding areas in BC. It truly is a hidden gem. My hubby and I have been riding the area for about 8 years now, and we are still finding sweet little stashes. We have been lucky enough to introduce some of these areas to others that didn't know the area very well, or were new to PG like SledMamma. It's rough and rugged, and can sometimes be very isolated as well. There have been many days where the only people riding the area is your own riding group! To get to the good stuff one must first ascend the "Burn" which has given us great challenges at times, but it's definitely what keeps the less experienced peeps out of the area! Here are some pics....who says that there is nothing up there? :p

Well... we would love to tell you, but then we would have to kill ya!

Just kidding... It is stellar "secret": I grew up in the area and never knew we had mountains that anyone snowmobiled in. The Torpy is part of the McGregor Mountain Range. It has two main riding areas in it and several smaller ones surrounding it. I can tell you that we have the biggest snowpack in the province this year, topping out at 428cm as of last week :) Prince George is also lucky to have a few lower elevation riding areas 1/2 hour north that get huge amounts of snow but don't really have alot of avy danger. This is where we are playing these days with all the special avalanche warnings at the moment. Our average temperatures are about the same as McBride BC. The only drawback to a place like PG is that you kinda have to know someone to find these areas- they aren't really well known areas and once you get in it isn't easy to navigate. I have heard a few visitors who made it into the Torpy remark that there was 'nothing up there', but the truth is that it is virtually endless!!

Attachments

• IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 364
  • Copy of IMG_0356.jpg
    Copy of IMG_0356.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 357
  • DSC05236.jpg
    DSC05236.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 365

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch Guys. Pics make it inviting. Is this area closer to Dome Creek, Crescent Spur or Prince George? Do we need to bring gas,etc. Where is lodging? Lot of questions from a guy your just going to kill after the weekend.Lol.

canadiancon

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch Guys. Pics make it inviting. Is this area closer to Dome Creek, Crescent Spur or Prince George? Do we need to bring gas,etc. Where is lodging? Lot of questions from a guy your just going to kill after the weekend.Lol.

Prince George would be your best bet, lots of places to
choose from, also you will probably want to bring gas, depending on where they are logging it could be a 20-30 k ride in. I haven't been in there much this year. Was only about 10-15 trucks last time we went, not many people.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Prince George would be your best bet, lots of places to
choose from, also you will probably want to bring gas, depending on where they are logging it could be a 20-30 k ride in. I haven't been in there much this year. Was only about 10-15 trucks last time we went, not many people.
I haven't been around active logging areas before so are there guys around Prince George that can point us in the right direction or let us tag along with them. New sleds, most of the gear and radios, but that doesn't garrantty you don't have problems.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Torpy staging area is about 80kms from PG so it's a fair jaunt. We usually leave town around 7:30 am to have a good days ride out there. The staging area is 40 kms from the actual riding area, so you need to pack fuel. We are staging at the Old McGregor camp right now.

PipeKing

Reaction score
Any updates of the Torpy area? Word on the street was 3ft of fresh between last weekend and now......

Top Bottom