Looking for riding suggestions for Sparwood area.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually ride Revy but me and a bud want to try something a bit closer. We are experienced riders that really love technical terrain. Can anyone give pointers on suitable riding areas and where to stage?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
For what it is worth, get into the trees around the Rolling Hills cabin. Stage in Fernie at the Coal Creek staging area. Lots of little pockets with normally untouched lines. No need to cross the creek in front of the cabin. Just follow the Doug Dean trail and poke into the trees on both sides of the trail. Keep poking from one opening to another and you should have a good day.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want to go from Cataract over to Elkford one day... might be an overnighter?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
You used to be able to sled right to the hotel and gas station. Not sure if that’s still allowed or not. Would be a cool ride.
It all depends on logging and the problem with plowed roads.
Last I heard was the alders have really taken over the lower section on the BC side making for a miserable experience.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a ton of technical riding around Sparwood that I would send you to this year, there's some on the north but I doubt you'd even get into some of the drainages this year. There's one place we call Deadhorse and on a good year its a wicked March spot, but wouldn't send my worst enemy there this year, it will be guaranteed carnage. If you like your sled you won't do the Fording Pass. Too much rock! I've had a couple nice rides out of Atlas when the snow is good, you gotta be ready to hit it when it comes though, it can be 4 ft deep on a Wednesday and then be windblown and slushy by Saturday morning.

Last edited:

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Goose creek / Airport is a great place to go if you are looking for something different but not closer than Revy. Lumberton is closer and also a good place to go in a good snow year. Not sure what it's like this year.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It sucks. Dirt for a km past the parking lot. Not much snow after that.
LOL I was waiting for that input. This was April last year down by Cooper Lake, I bet you won't even get through the trees this year.

Attachments

• IMG_0484.JPG
    IMG_0484.JPG
    258.8 KB · Views: 92

GreyGhost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For what it is worth, get into the trees around the Rolling Hills cabin. Stage in Fernie at the Coal Creek staging area. Lots of little pockets with normally untouched lines. No need to cross the creek in front of the cabin. Just follow the Doug Dean trail and poke into the trees on both sides of the trail. Keep poking from one opening to another and you should have a good day.
Just don't go to Barnes lake. That spot can be a little scary!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom