Torpy/Mcgregor area 2013/2014 riding conditions

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the snow is like out at the torpy?

There was a group sledding up there this weekend. I would say from pics that there is about a foot to foot and a half in most places. They had bluebird skies and fluffy powder tho!!

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1 to 1.5 feet? will wait

Stolen from Facebook... I am waiting too: not really into bashing my sled on the first trip out. Reports from Yanks Peak (Wells) say 3-4 feet with no real base so that will likely be where we ride first ;)

qy9ybemy.jpg

y9yseba4.jpg
se5amunu.jpg
me6u4usy.jpg
dygebuby.jpg

dumbassracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey sled mama I just moved to pg and was wondering when your headed to yanks or barkerville if you could let me know. igot no one down here to ride with yet and im thinking of going this weekend as im home and on days off.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey sled mama I just moved to pg and was wondering when your headed to yanks or barkerville if you could let me know. igot no one down here to ride with yet and im thinking of going this weekend as im home and on days off.

We won't be riding until the 24th as my husband is away at work. I am waiting for playdate of the season with my husband, even tho our friends are prolly headed out this weekend... It's only fair! If you are around on the 24th you are welcome to join us :)

Jesse_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that guy on the cat is saying " I wonder what that bump was" as he looks under his sled lol.

After this weekend, the should be some snow out there. No base though.
Might have to purchase a sled yet lol.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

mountainmonster

Reaction score
With the snowfall warning for monday, next weekend should be decent other than all the landmines will be just under the surface.

wadefi

Reaction score
One of those I heard from a guy stories who had a friend riding the torpy this past weekend. From the story, 5 feet of pow, and could not get up the burn. All snow, no base.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of those I heard from a guy stories who had a friend riding the torpy this past weekend. From the story, 5 feet of pow, and could not get up the burn. All snow, no base.

There was at least two groups that made it up after a few tries. Pretty much bottomless up top: they played in the meadows before first bowl bcz it was just too deep!

wadefi

Reaction score
Awesome, where are people unloading at? Just wondering how long of a ride I need to prep my mind and body for?

mountainmonster

Reaction score
On the 22nd there was 2ft of fresh on the trail up the burn that had been broke the day before, the top had up to 3ft of fresh with old tracks half way to the first bowl. It was a good day to burn fuel as the engine's never got a chance to rest. Once this snow sets up things should be good.

We parked at 15km just before the trappers cabin, it's plowed up to there and should be for a while as they are logging up to that spot.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went up on Saturday... It rained/snowed and we got pretty wet until we made it to the alpine. The burn is an icy trenched up disaster, but once you make it to the top the snow is good! Still needed a good base on Saturday, and only 3-5 feet (more in the trees) so a lot of little track rippers showing thru. The warm temps followed by sudden freezing probably helped to set up a nice base... Plus it was snowing heavily and winds were gusting making for some nice wind features. The hoar frost is probably rearing it's ugly head so I would watch for a persistent bad layer once it snows again...

Torpy trail was groomed yesterday so the trail will be nice. Be sure to buy your membership if you have not already done so: our groomer and it's brand new tracks don't run on hopes and dreams!!

Have fun and be safe :)

michaud2307

Reaction score
Not familiar with the area but would like to come down to ride for the morning.. How to u get to staging area for torphy?

Sent from my iPhone using

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up for peeps heading to the Torpy this weekend. The recent huge snowfall and the wind gusts will likely be producing very unstable conditions, particularly on wind loaded slopes which can result in slab avalanches. Be aware and ride safe. Carry your gear and know how to use it. If you haven't taken an AST 1 course already, please sign up. There is 3 upcoming courses hosted by the PGSC with an option of dates to choose from, there is no excuse not to be safe this winter!

Forecaster Blog - Canadian Avalanche Centre » Category » North Rockies

Top Bottom