To Snorkel or not to Snorkel, that is my question...

Andys

Reaction score
Brute Forces have a design flaw in the front of their air boxes which can allow moisture (in steam form) into the air box without being under water. The snorkles get fresh air away from the stock location which is right over the #1 cylinder exhaust header pipe.

If your 650i is the same as my 750i, and I think it is, the front of the air box (as you sit on the bike) has a hole that allows fresh air to enter the airbox and cvt clutch intake. The situation of that airbox opening allows for steam to enter as well.

For example if you are trail riding along like normal and then come to a puddle on the trail. There is no reason not to go through it, it's only 6" deep. So you hammer down. But when you splash water up onto the front cylinder exhaust pipe, it instantly turns that water into steam. And if you are going just the right speed that steam will rise up and when you throttle up your engine takes a bug gulp of steam instead of the fresh air it needs.

A good friend of mine had this happen to his 08 Brute 750 a handful of times then we read up about it on the net and installed a Mud in my Blood designed, home made snorkle kit. By then his Brute had 800kms on it and was using 1/2 liter of oil per tank of fuel. We snorkled mine up the weekend I brought it home and I have had zero oil consumption in 2500 kms. Coincidence? Maybe. But too many other guys are having problems with steam to ignore it.

For under $100 of abs sewer pipe from Home Depot or wherever, it is cheap insurance like you said.

Hope this helps!

Black08Brute

Reaction score
Just finished mine today and pretty pleased on how it turned out,I used MIMB instructions, the only thing I would change is maybe using 2" flex pipe for the CVT exuast where the pipe runs along the fender it bows out a little. If I were to do it again I would just by the kit from .

I would guess that I spent at least 3 hours fitting and measuring my pieces and I think I spent $110 on glue and PVC.

Any questions just ask.

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snorkling your quad has many different methods to prevent water problems. The snorkles provide great defence for the cvt and airbox. In addition the prefilters prevent that little bit of moisture from entering the airbox or cvt intake. The cvt exhaust should not get a filter, it will plug off. One of the most overlooked parts of waterproofing is installing a filter on the crankcase breather, this prevents water from entering the crank and hydrolocking the engine, speaking from experence, lol. Also diff breathers,trans breather, and fuel system breathers require some changes to equal the benefits of snorkling. I just installed a new Can Am snorkle kit from BRP, it comes with all the parts to do the job well, and it looks stock. Some peeps will say the snorkles are not high enough, but through my experience the quad floats before the gauges are under water. One other thing that I do is apply dielectric grease to all electrical connections. Once you snorkle you'll wonder why it took you so long to do it.

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone use the kit from

I like the finished look of this better then

I am sure both are good, I jsut dont want the snorkel blocking my view....hahahaha

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just finished mine today and pretty pleased on how it turned out,I used MIMB instructions, the only thing I would change is maybe using 2" flex pipe for the CVT exuast where the pipe runs along the fender it bows out a little. If I were to do it again I would just by the kit from .

I would guess that I spent at least 3 hours fitting and measuring my pieces and I think I spent $110 on glue and PVC.

Any questions just ask.

Did you use ABS or PVC, I am not sure the difference other then abs is black and pvc is white, from what I can see at homedepot anyway.

Also did you vent any lines gas, carbs, etc....i really dont plan on doing much water boggen just want the snorkel for piece of mind.....I can't see that i would need to vent those line....but you tell me..

thank you:beer:

Black08Brute

Reaction score
Did you use ABS or PVC, I am not sure the difference other then abs is black and pvc is white, from what I can see at homedepot anyway.

Also did you vent any lines gas, carbs, etc....i really dont plan on doing much water boggen just want the snorkel for piece of mind.....I can't see that i would need to vent those line....but you tell me..

thank you:beer:

I used 2 " ABS pipe. The only other thing I hard time finding was 3" 90 deg to come from the air box but I used a 3" to 2" in ruber and then went to a 90.

I did vent my fuel because if you look at the front of the fame it is open and fluid will run down the frame into the fule line vent. If you take a look just above the right rear tire you will see where it goes into the frame. It doesn't take a lot of water in your fuel to make it run like crap. So what I did was just ran a piece of fuel line hose from the tank to the handle bars, did a couple of loops and put that little valve back on at the top end. I also hose clamped a little piece of foam to the end of the valve for dust.

My vents for my diffs were already ran up to the bars.

Lastly while I had it apart I went ahead and ran the crank case vent up as well. I had a problem of oil puking into the air box while climbing long hills or when on the back two wheels for any period of time. I have read if you only file the oil till it is half way on the dip stick it wont have this problem, but I like to fill it right to the top line.

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used 2 " ABS pipe. The only other thing I hard time finding was 3" 90 deg to come from the air box but I used a 3" to 2" in ruber and then went to a 90.

I did vent my fuel because if you look at the front of the fame it is open and fluid will run down the frame into the fule line vent. If you take a look just above the right rear tire you will see where it goes into the frame. It doesn't take a lot of water in your fuel to make it run like crap. So what I did was just ran a piece of fuel line hose from the tank to the handle bars, did a couple of loops and put that little valve back on at the top end. I also hose clamped a little piece of foam to the end of the valve for dust.

My vents for my diffs were already ran up to the bars.

Lastly while I had it apart I went ahead and ran the crank case vent up as well. I had a problem of oil puking into the air box while climbing long hills or when on the back two wheels for any period of time. I have read if you only file the oil till it is half way on the dip stick it wont have this problem, but I like to fill it right to the top line.

Yeah I have been looking at home deopt and c-tire for that 3" rubber 90 and just can't find one, perhaps a plumbing store in Edmonton will have one...I like your idea of the 3-2 with a 90 right after...perhaps thats what I will do.

Did everything run fine when you were all done your snorkel, any re-jetting / tunning etc...

Thanks

rider4life

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the 3" Rubber 90 is made by Fernco and is called a Qwick ELL (QL-300) Wolsely Supply on the south side had them when I did my snorkel a month ago

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well I got my brute snorkeled, got the kit from snorkelyouratv.com, took about 5 business days to get.....can wait to test her out......

cheers,

Attachments

• IMG_1480.jpg
    IMG_1480.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 103

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That looks like a very clean, nice snorkel kit there. I think it would be well worth the money to buy a kit next time I do mine. I tried my best but it still looks stupid with all the abs fittings and such. Very nice

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks great STYKO. That sure looks a lot nicer thanthe kit they offer for the gizz.

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That looks like a very clean, nice snorkel kit there. I think it would be well worth the money to buy a kit next time I do mine. I tried my best but it still looks stupid with all the abs fittings and such. Very nice

Thanks, lots of dam work to take the body off and put all back together, but It seemed to all work out in the end....my wife thinks it looks silly, so I told her she looks silly!!!! LOL:beer:

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks great STYKO. That sure looks a lot nicer thanthe kit they offer for the gizz.

Thanks, ya the grizz kits from snorkelyouratv.com have four pipes coming out the top, 2 on each side, not much room for front quad boxes, or those ones like you have......

Wonder why the grizz has four pipes and not three, I guess there all different....

gildp67

Reaction score
Well this week end was the first real trial for my machine. Mud, dust, streams and a couple deep holes and muskeg. I am soooooo snorkeling my machine, already have it ordered. looking into exhaust snorkel as well, my issue was the cvt.

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well this week end was the first real trial for my machine. Mud, dust, streams and a couple deep holes and muskeg. I am soooooo snorkeling my machine, already have it ordered. looking into exhaust snorkel as well, my issue was the cvt.

Do it, get er done!!!!

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, lots of dam work to take the body off and put all back together, but It seemed to all work out in the end....my wife thinks it looks silly, so I told her she looks silly!!!! LOL:beer:

Those are some great looking snorkels!! Trust me, after you take the plastics off and on a few times you will be able to do it in 30min. or less!!

Thanks, ya the grizz kits from snorkelyouratv.com have four pipes coming out the top, 2 on each side, not much room for front quad boxes, or those ones like you have......

Wonder why the grizz has four pipes and not three, I guess there all different....
The Grizzly snorkels only use 1 1/2" piping so they run 2 snorkels to the airbox to make sure enough air gets in.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last weekend I went to the Brazeau with my buddy Keith he has a 07 660 griz and I have a 07 Can-am Outlander 800 modified with the XMR retro kit(stealth Snorkle) No power loss for my machine and he drowned his belt twice! We went into the same areas, he is now snorkling his machine! Well worth the money.:cool:

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my grizz has marine hose i bought from Apex distribution's Hose shop for the air intakes and the clutch snorkels.

its flexible and easy to run and holds it shape so it doesn't suck together.

I ran 1.5" x2 for air intakes on my bike and used smooth bend hose fittings for the corners to keep airflow high.

another good way to do that would be to find a shop that bends pipe and get them to do some long bend 45* and 90* angles for you so you keep your air flow smooth.

then of course check your jetting after the snorkel job.

good luck i personally got sick of worrying about swamping and trying to water wheelie to get across deeper crossings. eventually everyone hits a bump and the front end comes down and then your wrenching to get it started which sucks.

not anymore.

Top Bottom