To Snorkel or not to Snorkel, that is my question...

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have bought and installed four kits from snorkelyouratv.com and they are awesome kits super easy to install and come with everything you need including vent hoses for fuel and diffs. I also just purchased a kit from mudindustries.com for my outlander and its a great kit too. For the price I went with the kits as I have built a few sets of snorkels and the kits always look cleaner all finished. The only reason I went with the mudindustries snorkels for my outlander was I liked the design of the riser a little better.

RaineMaker

Reaction score
Cool Web Site, did you purchase a kit through this site?

Thanks

That's where I got mine. I could have built my own but had the coin Latin around from collecting copper so I bought one. The guy is personal and will do what it takes to have a happy customer. Only $30 shipping total he sends it as plumbing parts.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to snork my next machine just for piece of mind. I would never intentionally submarine a machine but some times you get in a little deep not on purpose. I do a lot of solo riding and I think snorking would be real cheap insurance.

Question: Does snorking the air box reduce air flow which would rob HP?

with 2 inch pipe for my intake, i didnt notice any difference in power accept for going wide open down the road. at about 90km/h it has some issues. i have concluded that it is due to the way it suck in air. i experimented and figured out that if you have just an open top pipe, it is terrible. any speed over 50km/h and she's gasping for air. now i run a 90 degree and a 45 facing back and it works ok. when going high speeds if i kind of use my hand to deflect the air draft, it seems a bit better. hard to explain anyways lol.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with 2 inch pipe for my intake, i didnt notice any difference in power accept for going wide open down the road. at about 90km/h it has some issues. i have concluded that it is due to the way it suck in air. i experimented and figured out that if you have just an open top pipe, it is terrible. any speed over 50km/h and she's gasping for air. now i run a 90 degree and a 45 facing back and it works ok. when going high speeds if i kind of use my hand to deflect the air draft, it seems a bit better. hard to explain anyways lol.

That's because your carbs are vacuum slides, so having a larger intake reduces pressure differential in the intake tube and your slide doesn't move up to allow more fuel. When you put your hand over the end it increases the pressure differential allowing the slide to move off the jet increasing fuel delivery. So in essence it's not that it doesn't have enough air,.. it is starving for fuel.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's because your carbs are vacuum slides, so having a larger intake reduces pressure differential in the intake tube and your slide doesn't move up to allow more fuel. When you put your hand over the end it increases the pressure differential allowing the slide to move off the jet increasing fuel delivery. So in essence it's not that it doesn't have enough air,.. it is starving for fuel.

Is there a solution for this? Also I'm guess a fuel injected quad wouldn't have this issue..

Andys

Reaction score
Snorkel it then keep your stock parts to put on when it's time to sell it. People get scared of that kind of stuff. If your Brute 650i is like my 750i, you can run your intake pipes up through where your black schroud is now that holds your 12V cig lighter. Take that piece off and run em up just ahead of your handlebars.

The Brutes have a known design flaw on the fresh air intakes on the front of the air boxes. Water splashes up onto the header pipe of cylinder #1 and turns to steam, and gets sucked right down the throat of your expensive engine, causing serious damage. For that reason alone, I snorkeled mine with under 200 k on it. You can do it yourself for under $100, and find the instructions with pictures here: MudInMyBlood Forums How To: Snorkel The Brute Force

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh and i used a car c.v boot for the top of the belt cover... has one big end and one small end.... works perfect

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do it, i found out the hard way and was very lucky (no engine damage).

mulder

Reaction score
I was looking at snorkelyouratv.com and saw they have stealth snorkel kits that don't require you to cut your plastics, and for only 90 bucks, for the king quad anyway.... has anyone installed one of these kits on their quad? Any opinions on it?

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have 2 660 Griz coming this week cause of snorkle issues. Both run like crap after they messed with the airbox. One said he sliced some wired together cause the trany light stayed in park..................................... Both hard runners before but after air mods are lawn ornaments.
Have you guys heard of any probs with the 660 Griz and modded airbox? Might save me some taping and testing!!

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have 2 660 Griz coming this week cause of snorkle issues. Both run like crap after they messed with the airbox. One said he sliced some wired together cause the trany light stayed in park..................................... Both hard runners before but after air mods are lawn ornaments.
Have you guys heard of any probs with the 660 Griz and modded airbox? Might save me some taping and testing!!

Depends on what type of airbox mods, maybe too small of snorkel, 2" single MIN and 1.5" dual MIN imo, and they probably need to rejet if not done.

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
depeds on what kind of airbox mod you did. did you go for the 2- 1.5inch intake tubes, or one big 3" or 2- 2inch intake tubes? if you go bigger, it aint better. you'll have a hell of a time trying to catch the jetting if your intake piping is too big. i had a 3" intake on mine for awhile, and its a pain. i still havent gotten the jetting right and im like more than 5 sizes over stock. the most common intake mods are the dual 1.5 inch tubes,or the in between the gas tank and seat style intake. im going to assume you figured more airflow= better. but not in the case of snorkles. try rejetting richer if you think you got the intake piping the right size.

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
Look, If your not going to be bogging it like a lot of these guys on here do, don't hack it up and run farmer pipes all over it. I just ran some pre filter over all the intakes and never have an issue. But, I am not sinking it into those bottomless holes. My vote is; regular non sink hole riding...no. Bogging deep hole riding...yes. So there. :beer:

mudbug

Reaction score
Most mechanics will tell you that you will lose performance when you snorkel
the carb due to the fact that you don't have straight flow of air any more due to all the extra bends in the pipeing. But you can install two air intakes thus having 4 snorkels rather then 3. benifits are way better air flow and you dont have to rejet and no loss of performance.
Snorkel you quad even if you dont go through deep water it will cost you in the end if you wreck your motor.

Andys

Reaction score
Look, If your not going to be bogging it like a lot of these guys on here do, don't hack it up and run farmer pipes all over it. I just ran some pre filter over all the intakes and never have an issue. But, I am not sinking it into those bottomless holes. My vote is; regular non sink hole riding...no. Bogging deep hole riding...yes. So there. :beer:

You're right, but.....this guy who started this thread was asking about snorkeling a Brute Force (or at least that's the machine in his sig). Brute Forces have a design flaw in the front of their air boxes which can allow moisture (in steam form) into the air box without being under water. The snorkles get fresh air away from the stock location which is right over the #1 cylinder exhaust header pipe.

I don't think I've ever had my machine over the seat in water but at least I'm not sucking steam into the engine or clutches. It's cheap insurance and you don't have to cut any plastics if you do it right.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is snorkel thread. i have these pile up outside my door cause after snorkel they run like crap. There has to be a fix for them cause its a simple system. If it was a sled problem solved....... step up quad runners!!

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the thing, before I decide on snorkeling the Brute I need to understand 100% why one should do this. So far everyone is saying "cheap insurance". Okay, well I hear all of you loud and clear...LOL.....but how the hell does moisture get into the air box or motor anyway......I have spent some time looking the bike over with a flash like and honestly I just don't understand where the moisture gets in????

Doesn't the filter with my filter spray (fab 1) protect against moisture?

Most of the riding I do is trail, however I wont lie, I like to giver and have no intention to slow down for the puddles...

Thanks for all the replies so far people!!!
:d:beer:

Top Bottom