time for a new truck not sure what to get ?

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am looking at buying a new 2009 or lightly used 2008 1 ton truck
truck but i am not really sure what to get i have narrowed the search down to the following
2009/2008 f350 6.4l powerstroke
2009/2008 f350 V10 gas
2008/2009 dodge ram diesel

but i am really stuck on what to get i have never really been a dodge fan but the cummns diesel is really nice and people seem to be getting decent milage
i am really concearned with the ford diesels with the problems and fuel milage
and i know the V10 is hard on fuel as well but i think the fords are nicer trucks

any insight would be a great help if you own one now would you buy again ?
(fuel milage, engine problems etc)
i would probably not due much to the truck (no programers/or exhaust or dpf deletes)

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am looking at buying a new 2009 or lightly used 2008 1 ton truck
truck but i am not really sure what to get i have narrowed the search down to the following
2009/2008 f350 6.4l powerstroke
2009/2008 f350 V10 gas
2008/2009 dodge ram diesel

but i am really stuck on what to get i have never really been a dodge fan but the cummns diesel is really nice and people seem to be getting decent milage
i am really concearned with the ford diesels with the problems and fuel milage
and i know the V10 is hard on fuel as well but i think the fords are nicer trucks

any insight would be a great help if you own one now would you buy again ?
(fuel milage, engine problems etc)
i would probably not due much to the truck (no programers/or exhaust or dpf deletes)

Without mods the 6.4 mileage stinks. You know that.

Drive them all and decide. I think I'd get the Dodge based on your choices.

How many k's do you put on in a year? what % pulling? How long d oyou plan on keeping the truck?

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i only put on about 25k a year and maybe pull a combined 4-5k a year max and my holiday trailer is a light model it probably fully loaded with my dirt nike on the rear carrier ways 6500 lbs but with the quad in the truck and everything else plan on keeping this truck for probably 5 years min my reason for the 3500 is they payload capacity for a quad deck

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm also in the market for a new truck but at this point i think i'm looking at the dmax. If your interested in a Ford there is one for sale on Kijiji....2008 F350 4x4 diesel, only 14000kms and he's asking $48K. Not bad i tthought, i tried contacting him via email but he's yet to get back to me. This truck at Zenders last weekend was right around $51K. The ad id is 115929705...and no i am not trying to promote this ad i was quite interested given the price.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have owned them all and am hands down a Dodge fan:

The 6.4 in the Ford is unreliable and very hard on fuel.

The front ends in the Chev are it's week link not to mention they are low like a car:d

To me the Dodge is the best choice; Its got the oh mighty cummins with great power and reliability. If you get a pre '07.5 you have the rock solid 5.9 with no emissions crap and if you get an '07.5+ you can get good economy from it with minimal $ spent...wait till August and the 2010 are out with the nicest interior available in a 1 ton truck:d

Just my .02

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
My hubby, mechanic for more than 25 years , works on fords and chev's , gas and diesel, through work says" STAY AWAY FROM THEM" We have a dodge 1 ton(2001) cummins diesel, before that a '97 3/4 ton diesel. We use it for hauling toys, nothing else. The older 3/4 5 sp got 16 miles to the gallon hauling camper/pulling 3 quads. The 1 ton gets slightly less. Hubby would never buy any other truck. And he is a ford man, never thought he would ever buy a dodge.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm also in the market for a new truck but at this point i think i'm looking at the dmax. If your interested in a Ford there is one for sale on Kijiji....2008 F350 4x4 diesel, only 14000kms and he's asking $48K. Not bad i tthought, i tried contacting him via email but he's yet to get back to me. This truck at Zenders last weekend was right around $51K. The ad id is 115929705...and no i am not trying to promote this ad i was quite interested given the price.
realistic dollars for that Ford is $38,000.00 to $40,000.00 max but dependson options. Take a min. 25% of the purchase or $17,000.00 because the 09`s will be reduced in 5 months.

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am in the same boat.. I would stay away from the Ford diesel... Dodge is the Diesel of choice, it is noisey, I own a '03 3500 with 310000km. and love it,if you don't pull all the time take a serios look at the V10,I am...:d I am a dodge fan as well. My brother inlaw has a '07 Duramax, he likes it as a daily driver, he said if he was going to buy something again and use it for pulling not a daily he would buy the Cummings as well. My 2 cents.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have an 06 f350 lariat crew with 6 litre diesel, i sold a 99 7.3 super crew with 120 km just to get a bigger cab and a few extras, i was told the 6.0 had more horse power and more torque.... BULLSHITTTTEEE.. UNDOUBTABLY biggest lie ever told by a salesman who never new jack.... i agree stock new it sucked large, looked good but a slug, after 300 km of that bs (cause you gotta break em in ;)) i slapped a bullydog on it.... best thing ever.... also seemed like every 10k it got better, mileage and performance, i have 48,900 km know and love it, its no 7.3 but its about 90% better than when i bought it.

i looked at both the chev and dodge, chev only came in a 1 ton if you got a dually, and there was no bling, the lariat was slightly more $$ but was fully loaded.

The dodge at the time was ok and their diesel engine is unmatchable for power or performance, for me though i found the body and cab quite tin neee and it was not as loaded up for the same money, Plus at the time the local dealer was a bit wishy washy and i wanted to buy local being a business owner my self. Even though dealing with the local ford dealer was painful. but thats another story...

good luck buy what your gut tells you and enjoy........

T

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know this one is not on your short list, but my F-150 King Ranch is the nicest truck I have ever seen. { Boy,am I going to get flamed} It has the 5.4 gas engine and gives me 20-21 on the highway. I only pull a small sled trailer and it drops to 17-18. It is better than any car I have owned.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know this one is not on your short list, but my F-150 King Ranch is the nicest truck I have ever seen. { Boy,am I going to get flamed} It has the 5.4 gas engine and gives me 20-21 on the highway. I only pull a small sled trailer and it drops to 17-18. It is better than any car I have owned.
Better sell your car and get another F150. I really have a hard time believing the mileage I had a ford a few years ago she got 14-16 in town or on the highway.

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have the ford so i am a bit biased that way, but i love the truck tonnes of power but ya 16mpg at 108 on highway 12mpg pulling 10000lbs or 2 sleds on a deck and 125.

the dodges are cheep but you get a cheeper truck, (look at the interior, frame, bumpers after 30000km and paint at 80k sorry im gonna get roasted for that one, but cudoes to any one that can sit on a dodge leather for more than a hour.
the engine in the ford is good so far havent heard about to many of them calving. but you will blow a rad at 30-50k most all of them do.
the 6.7 has had alot of issues and for the next 60-90 days you cant get parts for the truck because the factories are shut down. which means you park the truck and still pay for it.

i do like the trans in the dodge and the engine break but they ride like my old 7.3 with leaf springs in the front.

wait till july and get family plan price and 0% on the ford
sorry for the long post.

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:d I have a 05 GMC and I would buy another in a heart beat, 700 summitguy's truck is nice been in it. (he drives too slow) I looked lots before I got mine. Look at what ever you like drive them all look at them all. You are the guy to drive it YOU ARE THE GUY TO DRIVE IT enjoy your hunt

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got a 08 f350 , its a job 3 , which means most of the bugs have been worked out , got 28,000 km on it now , I complain about fuel milage , but no better or no worse than any other new on with the emission junk on it , been there tested , ran side by side , yes even with the cummins , and fuel difference not enough to change my mind , it has had one recall , upgrade in the computer program , have had no issue's , would buy again , if you are buying used , go to to the breed of dealership you are looking at and get them to run the serial # , find out if there has been alot of warranty work , if so stay away

good luck

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have the ford so i am a bit biased that way, but i love the truck tonnes of power but ya 16mpg at 108 on highway 12mpg pulling 10000lbs or 2 sleds on a deck and 125.

the dodges are cheep but you get a cheeper truck, (look at the interior, frame, bumpers after 30000km and paint at 80k sorry im gonna get roasted for that one, but cudoes to any one that can sit on a dodge leather for more than a hour.
the engine in the ford is good so far havent heard about to many of them calving. but you will blow a rad at 30-50k most all of them do.
the 6.7 has had alot of issues and for the next 60-90 days you cant get parts for the truck because the factories are shut down. which means you park the truck and still pay for it.

i do like the trans in the dodge and the engine break but they ride like my old 7.3 with leaf springs in the front.

wait till july and get family plan price and 0% on the ford
sorry for the long post.

my dealer is already giving me a pretty sweet deal on the ford
09fx4 V10 everyting except nav system,sun roof,dvd $44k
or
09fx4 v10 harley davidson everyting except nav.sunroof,dvd 48k
(dealer invoice less ford rebates ) the most any other dealer would deal is bascialy ford rebates (9k) off of msrp

plus you can already get the 0 % financing from ford

kimwin

Reaction score
buy the ford be a man ,the 6.4 got 19 from sask to alberta last weekm in headwind at 110+ 22 going there with nowind with3.55 rears ,supposed to be better the dealer says love ford was a chiv man but they are a daily driver not a work/play truck......jmo..they have no gvw...may as well drivew a car

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:d:dIf you go to the Ford V10 go propane!!! We install the systems. I have a customer with a V10 getting 14 mpg on the hiway 10 in town. lots of power and you have the Superduty Ford for durability. I an a GMC man but for a heavy truck Ford would be my first and GM second I would not look at a Dodge unless it was free, I have one in my shop now @ 80k and it has spent 4 days in the shop maybe today it will leave. You name it we did it. I would still give this advice Look at all trucks and drive as many as you can.

chaser

Reaction score
I have a 08 F350 6.4 L Job1 with 56000K. This is the first Ford I have ever leased. I must say its been a good truck for the last 1 1/2 years. The only disappointment has been the fuel milage. I'm Averaging around 13mpg in the city with a very light foot, and on the Hi-way i'm getting 18-19mpg(empty) .
As luck would have it, my lease is up in 2010 Just when Ford introduces their new 6.7L.

mudbug

Reaction score
Hate to say it but its ford all the way. I've owned chev and dodge and I will never go back!!!!:cool:

Top Bottom