Throttle control

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being a new rider I was wondering if any one has some tips for us (Katie and myself) on how to get a sled moving in deep powder or when trying to get a sled moving again after being stuck or close to it. I've seen guys pin it and jump up and down at the same time.... seems to work. I try and give it a little brap and then feather it. I'm sure all sleds are a bit different with longer, wider tracks etc. but what works for you?

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of times a ski pull and light throttle while standing off to the side of the sled will pop it out of hole. If there is only 2 of you, clear the snow from front of the sled and that will make it much easier. i your really stuck, dig dig dig dig!! In deep pow, always try to stop pointing down hill or on another track.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go watch the Schooled Series of videos, they have a lot of good tips on that type of thing. It really depends on the type of hill that you are dealing with, but I try not to just have my sled pointed down, I generally like to keep it in a sidehill. From there you can maintain control of it. If you are pointed straight downhill, once you get moving, it's easy to lose control of it downhill for a new rider. Unless you are dealing with some really deep, then it does a good job of slowing you down.
I found when just starting out, if you have doubt you are going to make it, stop. You have a better chance of getting out with minimal digging if you don't dig yourself a massive trench. From there, you can get someone to pull a ski, while you are pushing along side your sled and you will pop right out.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't spin the track down when you do get stuck. Lifting a track out of the trench isn't easy as you probably have found out. Tramp down the snow beside the sled and move the track over onto it. Tramp the snow down in front as well. Better yet use your shovel to clear some of the snow away from the front. It's a lot easier. Then give it enough throttle to get the sled moving but not so much as to bury the track.

Get a Snobunje or equivalent. You would be surprised at how much easier it is to get a sled out by using one of these especially if there are only two of you out there.

Ride with some really big strong guys.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The first year riding with my husband I learned so much about throttle control. He made me spend time in front of him while we rode trees.. showing me that blips and feathering my throttle combined with the proper counter ski at the precise moment could make my life so much easier. A Blip tug and counter ski movement lays the sled over in the blink of an eye. When negotiating treewells, the same thing, look ahead, and keep momentum up, but when you need to move around the treewell, blip counterski shift your weight and good to go. Spending time on a turbo helped tremendously too. It's not all balls to the walls, you have to blip the throttle . I can't even explain how much this blipping helped me in the trees. The first time on my husband's boosted M8 I literally launched myself OFF a logging road.. I had zero control of the sled... Launched off the logging road only to launch back up onto it.. to fly off the other side... holy crap I was scared.. but then I started to learn.

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will be able to move forward without trenching if you ease on the throttle as opposed to feathering the throttle from take off. Get used to watching your RPMs and take note of where your clutch engages. When you feather the throttle you will actually engage higher causing your track to spin faster, causing you to trench.

Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome advice, thank you all. I did pick up a Snobunje this summer as well as a 30 foot tow strap. Katie is really good at stopping before she digs herself in too deep, that does help a lot. Parking down hill, on a track or sideways just makes so much sense.
Where can I find the Schooled Series of videos?
I was talking to Kate and said this year we are going to have her practice on carrying a ski slow and in control. I came leaps and bounds last year from not being able to side hill at all to side hilling both ways. Once you get it it's easy but got to figure the balance point out. Right now she is trying to lean her body to get the sled to lay over, that ain't going to work. Once I doubled here and showed her how the counter steering works she was able to get a ski up for a shot period.
We also have never been in deep snow. I imagine that will open a whole new can of worms..... I cant wait !!!! LOL
I will take note of that Powderpilot, More great info!! Thx again all.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The first year riding with my husband I learned so much about throttle control. He made me spend time in front of him while we rode trees.. showing me that blips and feathering my throttle combined with the proper counter ski at the precise moment could make my life so much easier. A Blip tug and counter ski movement lays the sled over in the blink of an eye. When negotiating treewells, the same thing, look ahead, and keep momentum up, but when you need to move around the treewell, blip counterski shift your weight and good to go. Spending time on a turbo helped tremendously too. It's not all balls to the walls, you have to blip the throttle . I can't even explain how much this blipping helped me in the trees. The first time on my husband's boosted M8 I literally launched myself OFF a logging road.. I had zero control of the sled... Launched off the logging road only to launch back up onto it.. to fly off the other side... holy crap I was scared.. but then I started to learn.

Oh and I might need some time on that Turbo just to make sure I got it right Ha Ha Ha.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shovel? What is with all these shovels?

The first thing to learn is how to get unstuck without ever using a shovel and without breaking your back. Some good pointers for getting unstuck but you will be much more effective at getting unstuck, especially on your own if you learn how to use the snow to get your sled out rather than shovel it away.

First things first, if you are in a safe enough area loose some gear. Helmet, pack and so on. Then make sure your body can breath. Start by kicking as much snow away from the boards as possible. Then sit on your butt in front of your sled and start kicking snow under it. Once you can't get any more under it use your legs to push up on the front of your sled to raise it up. It's not hard to do. Your legs should be able to get several inches of height each time. While doing this kick more snow under the sled with one leg supporting the sled with the other. Keep doing this. The more snow you can get under the better. If you can kick it right under the track that is the goal. The higher in the air the better. Stand the sled straight up and down if need be.

Once you have accomplished this depending on how much height you gained either stand on the skis with out putting to much weight on them or pull down with your hands and with one good motion pop the back of your sled out of any trench you may have created.

It might sound like more work but its not. Sure if you have a buddy around you can lift and plop the sled down beside your crater but it is still hard on you back.

As for throttle control and using the throttle to get unstuck, the more you ride the more you learn when you can simply pin it and when you should burp it. Like said a ski pull can do wonders. Counter steering when facing an awkward situation is very beneficial too.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most times easing into the throttle is the best instead of blipping it.If your breaking trail on flat ground and have to stop make a loop and park back in your own tracks!On a warm day the top few layers of snow get saturated and heavy and even parking downhill won't help!But at the end of the day it all comes down to practice and remembering what works and doesn't!I feel your pain about digging sleds other than your own(wife and 3 kids riding)!

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have dug a big trench (we all do it from time to time, when we are sure we can get out of it on our own) it is WAY WAY WAY easier to roll the sled over then to dig it out of the trench. Clear out around the track a bit and then just roll it right over.

I am a big fan of easing into it as well, and as soon as you start to make some forward progress thumb to the bar!

I am still learning all the tricks to getting out, but I get LOTS of practice, I typically get stuck more then everyone else I am riding with combined. I seem to have poor throttle control combined with delusions of "I can make that", all well riding an under powered sled with a light switch throttle. :eek:

Oh and getting stuck is normally a good time to stop and grab a drink and a snack.

Last edited:

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with devastator...if the snow is deep just roll it over.

I`m a big fan of momentum you need to keep up the trackspeed in deep pow or your screwed. But also know when you`re done and let off...don`t bury your back end. The worst is getting stuck in a draw...can't roll it, can't spin it around just accept your screwed and start digging - add a risk factor in draws and abort much sooner than you normally would. It all comes with experience and confidence and knowing how your sled reacts.

I found with the longer track (146 to a 163) i can burp the throttle and get the track speed going then let off and it pops up. The 163 is just so much forgiving in deep snow.

Sometimes i get mad knowing im about to get stuck and bury my back end in anger but i always regret it...don't do this haha. It does feel good for about a second though.

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just be careful you don't flood the engine rolling a carbureted machine. If you are fuel injected, roll away.

Mine is carbed and it floods sometimes but it's usually easier to deal with than digging out. But good point if you're not good at getting your sled started when it's flooded.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is carbed and it floods sometimes but it's usually easier to deal with than digging out. But good point if you're not good at getting your sled started when it's flooded.

Or just make sure that it will roll easily, and not end up sitting upside down for an extended period of time.

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP...............BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP..................BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP....

usually how the throttle thing goes...lol

seriously though....im surprised no one has said this?

stop on a track. even in teh middle of a meadow....just make a loop and always park in a track. perferably on a down hill but not always possible.

first thing i teach any noob. my wife, a few buddies new to sleddin. always park in a track. even cross ways if its a deep trench. that little bit of somewhat packed snow has just enough pack to get some traction.

i usually crack it too. just to get the forward momentum going a bit.

but then again...im not in schooled 1, 2, 3, or 4...so??

LOL

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now that i think about it usually when i employ the roll over it's sitting in a flooding position anyway lol

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
stop on a track. even in teh middle of a meadow....just make a loop and always park in a track. perferably on a down hill but not always possible.

Yep dad taught me that when i was just young pain in the ass...lol

Top Bottom