Thinking about buying pro. Want some advice.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 09 D8 155 track like you had. I've been think for my next sled I'll get the 163. What about track speed when making a pull on a hill? It's a bit lower than the 155 track I know but are the 155's high marking you by much if any because of the extra track Speed? One of the things I wondered about, some Guys in our group had D8 155 tracks and got 163 tracked pro's this season and are are very happy they did..
But I never made a pull against them to see the climbing difference.

Sent from my mobile telephone

M1K

Reaction score
Don't think you need any more convincing but I also came from an M1000. I went through 4 DD's, 2 cylinders, 4 pistons, 1 crank, a tunnel & bulkhead, Secondary clutch, & several motor mounts.... I've missed more sledding trips than you can imagine....can't believe I stuck with that POS for 4 seasons. Now I get on my 2012 Assualt and ride and ride....top up the oil jug every 200 miles and keep riding to the tune of 600 miles so far this season, oh ya I use about 15L of fuel less a day than I did with my M.

pehmanndragon

Reaction score
Well I haven't rode against any 155" yet this year (got to have snow and this winter sucks so far) but i would have to say that my 163" pro has more snap then my 155" D8. (And I know my D8 was a 09 and my pro is a 12) I really don't think your losing that much track speed but I believe your gaining alot more float. The biggest difference is that your 09 D8 155" weighs 487lb dry and my pro weighs 431lb dry (I have hps can on her and shedded another 7lbs to make it 431lb) thats the big difference.

GoHiSK1

Reaction score
The Old I Q Raw stuff chassis was good and if the engine was more reliable it was a great combo .
I am riding a 2012 174 Pro up from a 2009 M1000 162 and a 2009 Turbo Dragon 155.
always had a blast with either of my other sleds but after boon-docking with the Pro I do not want to go back to the older generation sleds.
I like the fact that the Pro is so much lighter then my M1000. I did like M1000 very much and do miss the power of a that 1 liter engine.
As for track length am my groups riding style I will always recommend a longer track. We have been treated to a lot of fresh deep powder the last couple of years when our BC riding trips have been scheduled.

PS. for those reading this you may have notice that I said above that my Pro has a 174" x 3" track. Did the conversion with an Avid Products drop and roll kit. Very straight forward conversion and my hats off to Robbie at Avid for putting together this almost bolt on kit.

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2011 has been great. 163 floats alot better and way funner in the trees. The only thing that I would upgrade on it would be an electric start. Why? For those days when you roll your sled and are too tired to pull the rope and so the wife could start the sled alone to go for a rip.

DiggsNWt

Reaction score
The Pro RMK without a doubt will out handle any sled on the market today. Before you start modding for more hp (which in my view reduces reliability), do the simple things to get more out of the hp you have. Stock gearing will rotate stock track to 85 mph at 8250 rpm. Does anyone that rides in the mountains need 85 mph track speed? If you are a bigger guy and you want to climb, try increasing your chaincase gear ratio from the stock 2.10 to 2.21 (81mph) or 2.26 (79mph). You can use your stock 72p chain and just need a 19t top gear to get the 2.21 ratio or do both gears at 19t top and 43t bottom to get the 2.26 ratio. Decrease rolling resistance of track with a few simple inexpensive mods. I found my track ratcheting after the breakin so I am going to change my driver to be able to run looser. I am also adding larger rear wheels.

As mentioned above, try a track upgrade by maybe going to 3" track. Based on the amazing agility of a 163" Pro RMK I rode, I would go that route for the couple extra bucks it would cost.

Bone stock or a few easy mods, you will not be disappointed with the Pro RMK.

Diggs

speedyleland

Reaction score
love my machine. ran it stock all 1000 miles last year and put a aerocharger on it this year. with the turbo it run like a stock sled but absolutely stupid fun. Might have to streach out to 163

NeilV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my advice would be buy one. i came from a 2010 m8 and i dont have one bit of regret. we were in 3-4 feet of fresh power this weekend and there wasnt one time that i thought my new pro was under powered. it felt like it had everything that my cat did and more. it is just an all around way better sled. it does not tip quite as easy as my cat did, but it is much more predictable and way easier to control. with my M8 i found when it would lay over it would want to go too far but with my pro i can hold it exactly where i want it, it sidehills like a dream and doesnt wash like the m series, it climbs like crazy and it is awesome on the rough trails too. also there is about 4 inches more track on the ground with the 155 compared to cats 153.

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can chime in here, I finally got out on the 2012 PRO 155 this weekend and took it to Mcbride. I come off an 09 D8 163. love my D8* and had no issues at all but the PRO is a completely different animal. I fell of the Pro for the first hour becaouse i was OVER compensating for the mass of the sled. It just needs slight input from the rider to get where you want to go, The IQ needed MORE input for sure. once i figured out how to ride it WOW, what a fun sled. Very much a point and shoot sled and i got the chance to switch over to a 11 e-tec 155 and could not get off of it fast enough. FOR ME , IMO, you stand too far ahead on the DOO and the narrow stance was unnerving when doing technical turns in the trees. i found the bars too narrow and that Floppy excuse for a Mountain bar on the DOO is brutal Just about went over the bars when i tried to keep myself from falling off...............We also had a 2012 PRO 163 and can say for certain the two side by side the 163 out climbs the 155 and is just a better set up , boon docking in the tight trees was no problem at all.

Cant go wrong wihth the PRO

capt. crunch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own a 2010 D8 155 and Ive been demoing a 2012 800Pro 163 for a week and a half now and I'm sold on the 163 track and the power is wicked smooth too. Been climbing stuff I don't even look at on my sled. And the fuel economy is unreal compared to the D8.
How am I ever going to give it back. I'll be suffering from withdrawl in a day.:beer::d

turboassault

Reaction score
I have a new pro 162 3 inch and the thing is unbelievable. Its light easy to sidehill and manouver. The three inch gives it unbelievable pull out of the hole. It gets up on top of the snow very quickly and outclimbs just about anything. I would not even consider anything else right now. The only sled out there imo that even comes close is the etec. That sle dwith a three inch works as good as mine. It all comes down to preference in the riding style. Oh ya and the fact that with the three inch i am still the price of a stock doo!!

pehmanndragon

Reaction score
Just went riding today with 30 (yes I said 30) inches of new snow and my pro was unbelievable. I really got a good feel of how well it floats. I wouldn't trade this sled for anything. Truly amazing! The 163" really paid off today.

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 pro as well and it truly is a fun sled to ride. I came off a 2009 M8turbo and miss the power sometimes. The other 90% of the time I just have fun. The E-tec is probably a better motor and has alot of cool technology, but it is all about rider preference when it comes to the handling. I feel uncomfortable riding one, but the Pro felt natural for me. Stock to stock the E-tec will outclimb the Pro, but that is not the only type of riding I do.

That being said, when they get the bugs out of the new cat it will be a contender as well. Decisions, decisions.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love the Pro. My 2012 (Chuck Norris) handles like a dream. I came off of an 08 M8 and it is like night and day. What I enjoy most is the response. The machine instantly responds to your body language. Tree riding is fun for me now because I have the confidence to negotiate more technical riding. It's light and agile. I put an mbrp can on him. I am also going with the feethooker running boards/tunnel stiffeners. I have the extreme bumper on Chuck as well.

Top Bottom