Stuck on weight are you

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you stuck on weight as my title say's? Are you one of them guys that every once's count, do you get into arguments with other on weight comparison?
Does it dictate what brand you buy and maybe even your posting on forums about other models and makes?
Sled weight has always been a big issue and manufacture really play on it for sell's over many other important aspects. And when a manufacture gets that edge on weight, it appears to most people that it has the leg up on the other manufacture.
But when it doesn't have that edge of weight as an advantage, the good old response is reliability. That other lighter brand will break easy.

About weight, is it really that important? Think about it, the weight of a sled alone with oil and fuel is useless as a sled cannot ride it self.
So what is the true weight of a sled on snow? Its the above plus gear and supplies plus a geared up rider.
Though we might carry similar gear, many guys carry very little and do tend to risk safety over carrying the extra weight.
Another large piece of this puzzle missing is our physical weight(rider weight) geared up. Some riders will also gear up differently then others. Wearing armor will add weight, wearing a large pack over a smaller pack or even no pack, it all accounts for a difference.

Here is an example, when i'm out for a day ride with the wife, my rolling weight in the snow is very close to a 1000lbs.
That is the true weight and not what the manufacture claims, something to think about but power plays a huge factor when your near 1000lbs.
BTW, the wife geared up with sled, rolls on snow just under 700lbs. She carries NO extra gear. I carry all the extra.

So next time you argue your brand is lighter or this brand is too heavy, maybe think of your weight and what you carry with you and the power you have. In the grand scheme of things it might be a very different picture you end up with.
Food for thought.

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great post. Im thinking us older guys are right there with ya.

Im going to add, when I'm tipping the scale at 225-230 plus my gear, I'm not the same rider as when I'm 210-215. A measly 10-15lb difference is huge I find. I try to be 210 at the beginning of December now, 2 seasons ago I was 230 and I was so disappointed in my ability.

wasnt the sleds fault it was trenching to china

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
I find when everything is going good the weight of the sled is not detrimental. My fitness, weight and the weight of what I am wearing are what dictate how long I can ride until I make a stupid mistake and end up stuck. Once stuck then I find the weight of the sled being unstuck by a tiered rider determines how fast I can get unstuck and recovered ready to go again. Keep in mind this is the 423 vs 435 lb argument. I find my pro way easier to un stick than a Doo. But if they are moving I notice design of the chassis more than weight of the chassis dictates how much rider input is required and how much energy is used. Riding a turbo 4 stroke I find is just too heavy and a different argument all together for me.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like how most pound (no pun intended) on weight of sleds. The current models, which ever you decide to go with are all pretty light in comparison to the old iron. I remember how much more tired id be at the end of the day riding the old rev as opposed to the new doo's. So rather then spend big dollars on titanium screws/bolts/springs you name, stop and take a good look in the mirror. Save some cash, join a gym. Roughly $100 for every lb. taken off a sled. Or 4 quarter pounders....

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is another aspect of this discussion that really doesn't get any attention and i don't know why. But imo has more profound effect on sled handling, more so then the weight scenario.
Your HEIGHT. The average rider height is approximately 5'10". If you were to have 2 rider's of the same weight, no matter what that was but one is 5'5" and the other is 6'2". The 6'2" guy would have a huge advantage in just about all aspect of sledding. Including getting unstuck. With his tall mass he would be able move his torso (heaviest part of the body) further away from the center of the sled and with less effort manipulate the sled to do what he want's it to do. While the shorter rider would require to put more effort and muscle to achieve the same results. Strictly because he would not be able to move his mass (torso) as far, thus having to muscle the sled more.
So what's the point here?

snowcannon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is another aspect of this discussion that really doesn't get any attention and i don't know why. But imo has more profound effect on sled handling, more so then the weight scenario.
Your HEIGHT. The average rider height is approximately 5'10". If you were to have 2 rider's of the same weight, no matter what that was but one is 5'5" and the other is 6'2". The 6'2" guy would have a huge advantage in just about all aspect of sledding. Including getting unstuck. With his tall mass he would be able move his torso (heaviest part of the body) further away from the center of the sled and with less effort manipulate the sled to do what he want's it to do. While the shorter rider would require to put more effort and muscle to achieve the same results. Strictly because he would not be able to move his mass (torso) as far, thus having to muscle the sled more.

So all those riders that whine about weight must be really short? :rolleyes:

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So then why doo you carry ALL the survival gear and not your wife? Is it because its heavy? I say ride what you like and don't take it too serious when people bash each other. Its all in fun bud!

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Definitely agree with this statement. At the end of the day there is two kind of stucks, one you are pushing yourself and two you need more practice.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have to agree personal fitness plays a huge part. Not saying be a gym rat but personal health does play a part in capabilities and riding endurance

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you really have to look at this is two aspects. 1. Overall rolling weight 2. Unstuck Weight. When out on the hill these are the only two that matter...Agree?

Overall rolling weight obviously matters the most but as mentioned above is way more than the dry weight manufacturers claim. Before hitting the snow even the polaris full of oil and fuel and gear is around 550lbs. Then add snow build up. The sled is 600lbs at the very minimum at any given point. The biggest difference in my opinion comes down to rider weight. Its for this reason that you can see a lot of smaller riders on 600's following the bigger bore 800's. My reasoning. Point your sled uphill in a foot of snow standing on it and see how far you get just simply pinning it. Then from the same spot with no one on it pinn it for as long as you can and let it roll ahead. These sleds are built to "float" in the snow. Once you've broken through the surface there is more forward resistance. A 408lbs sled with a 250lbs rider will not goes as far as a 150lbs rider on a 508 lbs sled in same conditions, ect.

Unstruck weight again as mentioned above, makes a difference as well if your're comparing a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke. Then yes the two stroke is much easier to get unstuck. But comparing ski-doo, polaris, arctic cat once you have snow loaded up (polaris carries the most) the difference is very minimal. Do I notice a difference between getting my pro unstuck and my buddies proclimb, only slightly.

AC4life

Reaction score
I'd rather be getting stuck right now instead of reading this damn sites posts and watching sled vids all day. Hurry up winter

I agree! Woke up this morning in camp north of Fort Mac and the snow is coming down hard. Won't be long now till we are all squeezing the throttle!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So all those riders that whine about weight must be really short? :rolleyes:

um, is it that you are 6'2" and ride a Yamaha?

I don't know Lund but a Yamaha stuck in the ditch takes 5 guys to get it out...everything feels lighter than that.

Oh boy these are productive and contributing posts to this thread. You either have a dislike or even a hate for Lund or Yamaha or both.
Please stay on topic, thx.
BTW, if your having a hard time with that, let me help. Its not about Yamaha's or Lund. LOL

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So then why doo you carry ALL the survival gear and not your wife? Is it because its heavy? I say ride what you like and don't take it too serious when people bash each other. Its all in fun bud!

She carries her avy pack with basic avy gear and a water bottle, thats about it. Yes thats mainly why, in the long run it makes a difference of us riding 4hrs or 6hrs...just saying. When we go out i like to ride as long as we can and it sucks when i have to call it a day cause shes too tired to ride on. We found this works for her.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you really have to look at this is two aspects. 1. Overall rolling weight 2. Unstuck Weight. When out on the hill these are the only two that matter...Agree?

Overall rolling weight obviously matters the most but as mentioned above is way more than the dry weight manufacturers claim. Before hitting the snow even the polaris full of oil and fuel and gear is around 550lbs. Then add snow build up. The sled is 600lbs at the very minimum at any given point. The biggest difference in my opinion comes down to rider weight. Its for this reason that you can see a lot of smaller riders on 600's following the bigger bore 800's. My reasoning. Point your sled uphill in a foot of snow standing on it and see how far you get just simply pinning it. Then from the same spot with no one on it pinn it for as long as you can and let it roll ahead. These sleds are built to "float" in the snow. Once you've broken through the surface there is more forward resistance. A 408lbs sled with a 250lbs rider will not goes as far as a 150lbs rider on a 508 lbs sled in same conditions, ect.

Unstruck weight again as mentioned above, makes a difference as well if your're comparing a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke. Then yes the two stroke is much easier to get unstuck. But comparing ski-doo, polaris, arctic cat once you have snow loaded up (polaris carries the most) the difference is very minimal. Do I notice a difference between getting my pro unstuck and my buddies proclimb, only slightly.

Thank you, i agree, especially on your point of smaller riders on 600 keeping up to the larger displacement 800. That is part of my point in the thread. Larger guys stuck on 800's has the same effect as you also pointed out.
Too bad we are not all perfect like some, just right for a typical popular model.

Top Bottom