Stuck on weight are you

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I broke a snowmobile jack trying to lift a 159X16 in skidoo out. Dam things must double in weight stuck

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Consider track length too, a stock 800 turning a 174 3 inch is kinda weak. 154 is the way to go on a stock engine IMO

A 174 skid will hold more snow too, and when you do get stuck you are buried to china.

yup and once dug in they are all heavy

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the point of this is .... carried same gear on the nytro that I carry on the pro .... all things being equal I will take the lighter sled .... wayyyy too many variables in your comparison to make sense of ... your wife is an equal so let her carry her share ....

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the number of people changing from turbo-ed Yamaha sleds to almost stock two strokes is quite high that being said if a rider enjoys his machine and is physically capable to handle it versus smaller riders that is a personal choice but the greater weight is rarely an advantage or there would be more stock yamaha's on the hill. I really hope the sidewinder is successful for them. I remember being on a hill in mcbride in 06/07 and the turbo apex's outnumbered all other brands but very few of the riders could actually manage that weight and power.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have my doubts about the sidewinder. I rode a few turbo yammis and the only ones that impressed my were running 300+. The mcx 240 nytro I rode didnt impress me at all. Addrenaline addictions fully built apex was another story!!

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dad just bought a 310 hp apex on pump gas, you can just about crack 400 on race gas. Haven't had it out yet but it tries to leap out of your hands in the trailer. We'll see. It's heavy as hell but it's got 300+ horse. It's a trade off. He's 210 pounds and 6' tall. I guess time will tell but as long as he has fun than that's what matters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have my doubts about the sidewinder. I rode a few turbo yammis and the only ones that impressed my were running 300+. The mcx 240 nytro I rode didnt impress me at all. Addrenaline addictions fully built apex was another story!!

I've tried the 190 and the 240-270 HP Nytros, and actually preferred the 190 kit. The difference is in the compression ratio: it's lower on the 240+ kits which can make them feel a bit lazier on the very bottom end. The 190 is very snappy but you give up that bigger push through the mid and high RPM ranges. Can't wait to see what the 'Winder will do... :)

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Real world test of weight of any sled- lifting up a stuck 163" track when you are crawling in waist deep snow. Your best bet is digging it out and rolling it over if on a side hill. Any bitch can lift the sled off the ground sitting in show room. Does not matter what brand, being stuck in waist deep snow, they are all heavy.

Real world test of man weight - watching my 19 yo son who weighs 180# making pokes on a RMK 600 144" that some guys can't make on 800's with 163" tracks.
Age and weight of the rider is key factor.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Real world test of weight of any sled- lifting up a stuck 163" track when you are crawling in waist deep snow. Your best bet is digging it out and rolling it over if on a side hill. Any bitch can lift the sled off the ground sitting in show room. Does not matter what brand, being stuck in waist deep snow, they are all heavy.

Real world test of man weight - watching my 19 yo son who weighs 180# making pokes on a RMK 600 144" that some guys can't make on 800's with 163" tracks.
Age and weight of the rider is key factor.

Very true, i know with my own sled that 174x16wide track will seriously anchor in and some times the only way to get it out is digging. A lot of people fail to see that, the length of that track and deep tunnel design will easily make a 6ft+ trench under the right condition. It doesn't matter what your riding...your not lifting, way too much weight to lift.

Xfmontana

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can see the difference in weight watching brown throw the poo around in sledneck17 almost to easy for his Popeye arms LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As you age you can either give up or find ways to keep going. Going to a lighter sled is like taking years off. Also when you are alone and stuck, a lighter sled may be the difference between trying to walk out and actually rolling the sled out and keep riding. Why would anyone want to disadvantage themselves with an extra 100 lbs even if it comes with an extra 100 hp?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
As you age you can either give up or find ways to keep going. Going to a lighter sled is like taking years off. Also when you are alone and stuck, a lighter sled may be the difference between trying to walk out and actually rolling the sled out and keep riding. Why would anyone want to disadvantage themselves with an extra 100 lbs even if it comes with an extra 100 hp?

Well Chris, obviously it is to each their own!

As for the aging part, I know that full well. Longer tracks have been a blessing for both myself and my wife. Rolling and shovelling are facts of life and there are a few tricks to learn when doing both. Those who say you don't need to shovel are a unique breed and not the everyday, get stuck in the trees kind of rider.

The heavy machines are heavy, the long track machines are heavy, and I don't care what brand anybody talks about they are all heavy with a skid full of snow. I agree, one has to find ways to keep on going. I have found mine and am quite happy to still be out riding the trees with minimal stucks at my age.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well Chris, obviously it is to each their own!

As for the aging part, I know that full well. Longer tracks have been a blessing for both myself and my wife. Rolling and shovelling are facts of life and there are a few tricks to learn when doing both. Those who say you don't need to shovel are a unique breed and not the everyday, get stuck in the trees kind of rider.

The heavy machines are heavy, the long track machines are heavy, and I don't care what brand anybody talks about they are all heavy with a skid full of snow. I agree, one has to find ways to keep on going. I have found mine and am quite happy to still be out riding the trees with minimal stucks at my age.

Doug, interesting you bring up the shovel. We used to use them a lot but rarely pull them out any more. Not sure if it's a function of changing sled brands or learning easier ways to get unstuck? Likely both. I get the long track thing too agree you may get stuck less but long or short, it's more about weight when digging out. The long track sleds don't come out of stucks any easier and in many cases harder.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This thread seems pointless! Kinda like a brand bash with out saying names. Only read it because when not sledding I like thinking about sledding.

I would say if you wanted to shed an easy 700 lbs ditch the wife!

Haha. Joke! At least your are out riding.

I hope it snows soon so I can brouse condition reports, and littledukes tales of adventures!

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not hard to guess who would make this thread up!! Weight is huge, like others said, it brings back youth in reality

always go back to the nitro and apex days, such a fun sled to ride till you let off the throttle, by day's end your in the rear wishing to see the truck, just beats you from the inside out, even some of the biggest guys brought to there knees, I know a few guys left the sport because of this..

always said if you have a sled you can't get out by yourself in 9 out of ten stucks, it's more than you want, and still believe that today, and we all still get stuck

Even jumping from t3 174 stocker to the carbon 174 feels so different for myself, all the extra exspense in trying to loose every ounce is quickly forgotten, and most noticed when in a ulgy stuck, the 100lbs less just makes it that much quicker and effortless to unstuck and allows quicker recoup time thus allowing more riding

Was maneuvering sleds around the other day in the shop and when it came to the nitro I said the hell with it and grabed the fork lift, weight is huge and always will be

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This has been beat to death, I hear it every time we go ride damn fat Yamaha's, we usually pull the other brands out way more than we pull my sled weather it be the turbo apex or the turbo viper. And when it comes to pulling the broken sleds out usually the tapex is everyone's weapon of choice. All I can say is enjoy what you ride and just go ride.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear the exact same things when i ride with a certain group of people, not so much with other i ride with though. LOL
But i can tell ya 100% are more then happy to see a Yamaha saving their sorry arse off the mountain at 2am. Either carry them back on a rescue toboggan or spending the night with a warm blanket and hot soup and company. Funny how the heavy over weight fat pig Yamaha is no longer a problem.
And ya, same here pulled more DOO's and Poo's then i can count.

This thread has gone off the rails, but sure would like to see a CF chassi pull dead weight off a mountain, LOL

Last edited:
Top Bottom